Marek Dolezaj | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

I think it happens pretty quickly once the Tucker domino falls. Some would be pretty disappointed with that finish but Thorpe would solve our guard issues. Dolezaj gives us another forward who has some skills and Hughes could step right in in 18-19 and be able to play both the 2 and the 3. Combine that with Brissett, Sidibe, Washington and Moyer and we could be looking back in a few years saying "Wow that 17 class salvaged that season and set us up for great success the next two seasons."

My thoughts exactly. I think your going to get a number of people here who are going to say "we are not what we use to be, the program is in decline" because we are not getting the high 4* or 5* recruit this year, and I understand their frustration because next year could be shaky but I believe that we can pull a high level kid in 2018 then we are going to be back on track. And for the record I think we will get that high level recruit next year.

Neither am I which is why I said "could". You never know but having an athletic guy who can score a bit, knows the defense and can play the 2 or the 3 for you seems like a good thing to me.
Agreed, but if the opportunity cost is a big time highschool talent...

Plus, it loads up that graduating class with another player.

Neither am I which is why I said "could". You never know but having an athletic guy who can score a bit, knows the defense and can play the 2 or the 3 for you seems like a good thing to me.
If he never becomes more than a quality back up, because he was "recruited over", I am good with that. I just want to get back to having all of our scholarships and having suitable athletes on the bench ready to come in to the game, instead of settling for guys that aren't ready. I like the athletes that we are bringing in, particularly in the forward position. It looks like we will have waves of big guys to throw at teams. Of course, at this point, they will have nobody to pass them the ball, but baby steps.

Wow, no way I see HW redshirting. Right now, he's the best PG we have.
I guess it is because physically he is still quite thin, and it is very difficult to project how slight players will play against more physically mature players. Sometimes it doesn't bother them, sometimes it does. But, I agree, he will be the only PURE point guard, and I wouldn't count him out.

If he comes I really hope we get more out of him than say NC State did out of Yurtseven.

Dolezaj is a much different player than Yurtseven. That said, if 'Cuse could get 5 and 5 from Dolezaj playing around 15mpg, similar to Yurtseven, would you say no?

I guess it is because physically he is still quite thin, and it is very difficult to project how slight players will play against more physically mature players. Sometimes it doesn't bother them, sometimes it does. But, I agree, he will be the only PURE point guard, and I wouldn't count him out.

He told me he's legit 6'3, 185. That's not rail thin. Hopefully he adds another 5 pounds before October. Plus, we need all the help we can get. If he can shoot 3's at about 35%, that is in very high demand on this roster too.

My thoughts exactly. I think your going to get a number of people here who are going to say "we are not what we use to be, the program is in decline" because we are not getting the high 4* or 5* recruit this year, and I understand their frustration because next year could be shaky but I believe that we can pull a high level kid in 2018 then we are going to be back on track. And for the record I think we will get that high level recruit next year.

Honestly the way things are lining up getting a good PG in the 2018 class is the most important thing and adding one for this season as well.

I think it happens pretty quickly once the Tucker domino falls. Some would be pretty disappointed with that finish but Thorpe would solve our guard issues. Dolezaj gives us another forward who has some skills and Hughes could step right in in 18-19 and be able to play both the 2 and the 3. Combine that with Brissett, Sidibe, Washington and Moyer and we could be looking back in a few years saying "Wow that 17 class salvaged that season and set us up for great success the next two seasons."

Good post, Jordoo. Thorpe would be an intriguing, important "get." I know that he won't excite the fanbase, but he'd tremendously improve the depth at guard, give us another wing scorer, give us another player who can create off of the bounce and take it to the basket, and give us a guy who has at least some experience playing the point.

Thorpe isn't Andrew White, but he's not a bad shooter. And he'd be a double figure scorer who could play the 2 in a three guard lineup [with Battle shifting to the back line defensively], or step in at the 1 if Frank falters again.

Dolezaj is athletic and fundamentally sound, and according to an insider -- might be a better shooter than I thought. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see his career arc mirror CJ Fair's.[i.e., versatile combo forward who contributes early, improves each year, and is a multi-year starter].

And as you point out, Hughes would have a year to learn the system before stepping in for Battle. Big, athletic wing at 6-6 220 pounds. T

Landing those three would really replenish wing depth, even though things didn't work out the way we'd hoped with Randolph or Tucker.

And I think you are right on the money when you suggest that group [including Moyer] would not only replenish depth but also infuse the foundation with talented program guys who would stabilize some of our lineup issues of the past few years, and bring stability to Boeheim's final act.

He told me he's legit 6'3, 185. That's not rail thin. Hopefully he adds another 5 pounds before October. Plus, we need all the help we can get. If he can shoot 3's at about 35%, that is in very high demand on this roster too.
Yep, we have had forwards 4 inches taller come in at that weight and still play. I look forward to seeing him play in the early games. I want him to succeed because NOBODY wanted to be Orange more than this kid.

Dolezaj is a much different player than Yurtseven. That said, if 'Cuse could get 5 and 5 from Dolezaj playing around 15mpg, similar to Yurtseven, would you say no?

Not good enough if we want to make the tournament...

Thanks Dash.

It would be a positive change from last year if JAB can get a roster set before September 1. Missing those couple of months playing together really threw things off-balance, IMO.
Perhaps we take a Euro or Canada trip this summer/fall? Definitely could use the games and experience.

Perhaps we take a Euro or Canada trip this summer/fall? Definitely could use the games and experience.

We need it, but JB already said that wasn't going to happen.:confused:

That was struck down. It was reported that was not happening.

Good post, Jordoo. Thorpe would be an intriguing, important "get." I know that he won't excite the fanbase, but he'd tremendously improve the depth at guard, give us another wing scorer, give us another player who can create off of the bounce and take it to the basket, and give us a guy who has at least some experience playing the point.

Thorpe isn't Andrew White, but he's not a bad shooter. And he'd be a double figure scorer who could play the 2 in a three guard lineup [with Battle shifting to the back line defensively], or step in at the 1 if Frank falters again.

Dolezaj is athletic and fundamentally sound, and according to an insider -- might be a better shooter than I thought. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see his career arc mirror CJ Fair's.[i.e., versatile combo forward who contributes early, improves each year, and is a multi-year starter].

And as you point out, Hughes would have a year to learn the system before stepping in for Battle. Big, athletic wing at 6-6 220 pounds. T

Landing those three would really replenish wing depth, even though things didn't work out the way we'd hoped with Randolph or Tucker.

And I think you are right on the money when you suggest that group [including Moyer] would not only replenish depth but also infuse the foundation with talented program guys who would stabilize some of our lineup issues of the past few years, and bring stability to Boeheim's final act.

If Dolezaj is anything like this kid, count me in:

Dinos Mitoglou Bio - Wake Forest Men's Basketball - WakeForestSports.com

Me too. Hughes could have a more immediate impact than a highly rated 2018 wing coming in would. His shot looks pretty decent to me so give him another year to work on it and learn our system (especially the defense) and he could be really good.
Agreed, his film looks good and he certainly looks capable of becoming much more than he was at ECU. If his 3pt shot can get up to 35%+, he is able to play the top of the zone or wing competently and continues improving his game off the bounce, he would be a solid player for us.

I just don't want the only guards added before the season to be him. Him coupled with Thorpe would be a very solid short term and long term solution. And I think we would still be able to recruit a shooter in the 2018 class since Hughes looks capable of playing the 2 or 3.

Foreign dude= foreign dude equation. ;)
I hope it's more than "foreign dude", lol. Mitiglu can play. Remember 2 years ago, he lit us up and we almost lost to WF. If Dolezaj can shoot like that ... he could space the floor and still help us on the (weakside) glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom