Marek Dolezaj | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

Still need to find some time to watch some more but at the 65ish minute mark dolezaj hits a nice 3 with a guy in his face. He has a really good looking shot. It's easy to see why the staff really likes this kid

Yes the board fact that he is not a good shooter is fake news. Others have tried to point this out as well.

So, what are the chances here. Like this kid. Who is our main competition?
Candy coaches went abroad to see him weeks ago but he did not visit them, only us. Heard Wake GT and Indiana were interested at one point. Long shot to go pro could be a factor but unlikely

Candy coaches went abroad to see him weeks ago but he did not visit them, only us. Heard Wake GT and Indiana were interested at one point. Long shot to go pro could be a factor but unlikely
Darn it Vandy not candy

Yes the board fact that he is not a good shooter is fake news. Others have tried to point this out as well.

Agreed. He looks fundamentally sound across the board with high basketball iq. Looks to have been coached well and has played in some tough leagues against competition that looks much better then your normal high school teams. Marek seems to be the real deal and the staff must of seen that right away. Might explain why they seem to be so content with things and think our situation at the 3 is fine while we are all so worried about it. Just need to make it official asap I hope...

If he signs here, I hope it is sooner rather than later, and I hope that the staff is completely on top of things in getting him through the NCAA clearinghouse. Like, they need to have all the documentation ready and submitted as early as possible.

Agreed. He looks fundamentally sound across the board with high basketball iq. Looks to have been coached well and has played in some tough leagues against competition that looks much better then your normal high school teams. Marek seems to be the real deal and the staff must of seen that right away. Might explain why they seem to be so content with things and think our situation at the 3 is fine while we are all so worried about it. Just need to make it official asap I hope...
For his size this guy runs the floor like nobody's business

Yes, the visit was very eye opening for the staff and they expect him to be on this team.

If he signs here, I hope it is sooner rather than later, and I hope that the staff is completely on top of things in getting him through the NCAA clearinghouse. Like, they need to have all the documentation ready and submitted as early as possible.

Agreed! This is my only worry get the paperwork in ASAP.

Edit: Just to clarify, not worried he will qualify just worried that the NCAA will drag their feet as much as possible.

Last edited:
Man, watching more, and more of him and we may have stumbled into something better than whatever plan ABC was. He looks ready to contribute a lot, and immediately. Perfect zone fit, and maybe we can start running again. Kid can get the board, bring it up immediately, and attack.

Man, watching more, and more of him and we may have stumbled into something better than whatever plan ABC was. He looks ready to contribute a lot, and immediately. Perfect zone fit, and maybe we can start running again. Kid can get the board, bring it up immediately, and attack.

Agreed. If this is plan "C," we got awfully lucky.

Need to land him, though.

PS--jline, this is why I was telling you the other day that the can't shoot / Kong comparisons weren't accurate. Dolezaj needs to improve physically, but he is a lot closer to Toni Kukoc than Kong.

Super quick feet.

I jumped through some of the full games, and he is positioned well on defense. He slides over to help the center. He had a few blocks and is tough to shoot over on the wing. I think he will fit the 2-3 nicely. He looks better on D than AW3 did from the beginning of last season

I jumped through some of the full games, and he is positioned well on defense. He slides over to help the center. He had a few blocks and is tough to shoot over on the wing. I think he will fit the 2-3 nicely. He looks better on D than AW3 did from the beginning of last season

Well, that's not a very high bar to clear. :p

I remember seeing AW3 start at the 2 and thinking that's not going to work. Then about 5min in I was thinking how long are we even going to pretend to play him as a guard?

There were a LOT of posters last offseason who wanted to pretend that he was a guard. Several of us took a lot of flack last summer for observing that his skill set wasn't suited to play there offensively in our system.

There were a LOT of posters last offseason who wanted to pretend that he was a guard. Several of us took a lot of flack last summer for observing that his skill set wasn't suited to play there offensively in our system.

I remember because I was saying he was coming here to start and would start at forward which meant Roberson should come off the bench. I got hammered for that opinion. Then we roll out a starting line up of Frank, AW3, the Tylers and DC2. I knew that was going to be short lived.

would have to think this is the delay right now, otherwise he'd have been offered and committed on the visit

would have to think this is the delay right now, otherwise he'd have been offered and committed on the visit
Or Fricken Kentucky or Duke are trying to find ways to steal him. Orange Nation Unite!!! Be United. Be Strong. Be Orange!
mr-t-meme-generator-fool-i-pity-you-99a912.jpg

I pray you are right. I need some good news.

Agreed. If this is plan "C," we got awfully lucky.

Need to land him, though.

PS--jline, this is why I was telling you the other day that the can't shoot / Kong comparisons weren't accurate. Dolezaj needs to improve physically, but he is a lot closer to Toni Kukoc than Kong.

I agree. My KOng comparison was just towards his energy, defensive and rebounding capabilities. Think Marek is more athletic, and skilled of course. Both are just guys who have that high motor. Loved KO, but this kid is KO on steroids. Not as physically mature, but can do a lot more on the court. KO did his work by never taking a second off, and playing his arse off.

Didn't even wanna respond to this again, but feel like I'm the poster child here for the narrative that Marek can't shoot. Was basing my opinions off minimal tape, and numbers we had to look at. Also threw out the 30-35% number from 3, which isn't too shabby so I never thought he couldn't shoot. Just a complete guess, as I said, with how well his numbers may be.

We all know we need a shooter at the 3, and were hoping for Tucker as he's a knockdown shooter. I'd rather get Marek, and have said that. I'm not arguing, or anything as you are one of the best around. Just think my words were misconstrued a bit. Now this narrative is out there that the board thinks he can't shoot. I'd rather not be looked at as having started that fake news, as jordoo would call it, is all.

Anyway, carrying on. Not much more to say about his game. Love it, and another big thank you to Cusesky for digging deep for us that are losing it just trying to find anything to talk about. Just time to wait, and hope that he ends up here.

Really good looking player from those clips. Even saw him block a shot left handed in one of the highlights.

Serious question: Does anyone know how good his english is?

Really good looking player from those clips. Even saw him block a shot left handed in one of the highlights.

Serious question: Does anyone know how good his english is?

No clue but I'm going to assume if he's like most foreign kids I've ever met that he speaks it and understands it fairly decent. But that's totally just a guess.

Watched film from one of his games. Plusses included ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim, passing skills, free throw shooting, good "motor", and overall athletic ability. One major negative, ability to hit mid range to long range range jump shots. Having a low post center like Chukwu might be problematic for a guy who likes to dribble/drive to the basket. Staff must feel confident that in time he could develop that part of his game bit to might take awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom