Marek Dolezaj | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

Sign SOMEBODY, ANYBODY!:bat:

nothing to worry about. i have it on good authority JB is actively recruiting:

14379095-standard.jpg

Okay, so first off, thanks to Cusesky for posting those videos. I loved them, and watched 2 full games - the first one you posted, and the last one you posted. Here's what I got from them (I fast forwarded most every minute Dolezaj was on the bench so its possible I might have missed some stuff).

First game he scored 2 points on 1-5 shooting (0-2 from 3) with 3 rebounds. He started at small forward, and played small forward the whole game, but he didn't play a ton, fewer than half the minutes of the game. It was a bad game from his team. They lost by 25. Both coaches were subbing in and out like crazy. If you've ever seen the second game of back to back games in the NBA after one team gets out to a big first quarter lead, this looked like that. Seemed like both coaches knew what the outcome would be and just wanted to keep their guys healthy for the next battle. Dolezaj was comfortable dribbling the ball in short spurts, but was not a "ball handler." He took his two 3's when he was open with no hesitation, so even though he missed them both it seemed clear to me that he knew he was capable of making them and had the green light. His team had at least one guy and often two guys in the post at all times, and Dolezaj was never one of them. He's a slasher. Caught the ball beyond the three point line and wanted to dribble past his defender into the paint. If you want a comparison, I actually think LeBron James is the best comparison (in style, obviously, not quality). Like LeBron he's a tall forward who plays more like a guard and uses his size as a way to bull to the hoop. The refs in this game (and the second I watched) really let guys play. There were 2 or 3 times Dolezaj was driving to the basket where he would have been shooing foul shots 10 times out of 10 in America but nothing was called here. Defensively he's got SU wing written all over him. He's long, athletic, and bouncy. Sadly, his team played 2-3 zone a few times, but never when he was in the game, so I only got to see him play man against a smaller quicker guy. He did fine, but lost a few one on one battles for rebounds, and will need to improve on that.

The second game I watched (the last the Cusesky posted) was clearly more recent than the first. Dolezaj was a different player in several ways. First, he was a far more competent ball handler. He dribbled a lot more. In the first game he played small forward the whole time, in this game he played shooting guard the whole time. They played zone 3 or 4 different possessions and he was always at the top of the zone. Second, he was a much better shooter. Its not just that he made more shots in this game, its that he was hunting down 3 point opportunities rather than just pulling the trigger when he was wide open. He didn't start, but once he came off the bench he played most of the game. Unlike the first game this was a competitive game that went into overtime (I think, they didn't show the score or the time at any point). Both teams looked like they really wanted to win. Even though Dolezaj started the game and the overtime on the bench, he played starters minutes and was the guy who had the ball in his hands going down the stretch in regulation and in overtime. He started bringing the ball up the court for his team late in the game (which was something new for me to see). I believe his team lost by a point or two (hard to tell with no score and the players were very stoic about it) but he carried his team on his back. Here's his stat line I got: 23 points on 9-14 shooting, 4-6 from three point range, 1-5 from the free throw line, 5 rebounds.

A few other observations. He seems careful with the ball and he seems to make good decisions. He only had 1 turnover and that was at the very early stages of the second game. He carried his team offensively going down the stretch of an overtime game, while being both very efficient and mistake free.

He wasn't hitting from the free throw line in this game, but I hope that's a one time thing (and think its probably a one time thing since he's clearly a good shooter overall) because n America he's going to go to the line a lot more. That physical slashing to the basket style gets rewarded here and lot more often than it did there.

While Dolezaj certainly looked great as a shooting guard in this game, my guess is he's a forward for us (doesn't really matter which one). I'd prefer to see him matched up against bigger slower defenders. I think he'll eat those types up, and struggle more with shorter quicker guys.

Hard to assess the level of competition with videos like this, but my guess would be, its better competition than high school here but not as good competition as D1 college.

I'd love to know when each game was played. Dolezaj clearly came into his own between the two. He definitely had visible potential in the first game, and he seemed to be realizing his potential in the second. Maybe we will get lucky and end up with a guy just starting to grow into his ceiling as a basketball player (which seems to be quite high). I have not seen ether him or Tucker play that much, but I've now seen them both in full games, and if I was a betting man I'd bet on Dolezaj having a better career, for whatever that's worth.

Awesome job general! I was pumped just to come across some more tape On marek because we all have just been speculating on his abilities and wondering what kind of player he is because there isn't much out there for us to go on. Glad you took the time to watch and take some notes it gives us a much better idea of his capabilities and what type of player he is. I will try to watch more of them when i have some time. Hope we sign this kid up because I think he has a lot of potential and can thrive in our system.

Okay, so first off, thanks to Cusesky for posting those videos. I loved them, and watched 2 full games - the first one you posted, and the last one you posted. Here's what I got from them (I fast forwarded most every minute Dolezaj was on the bench so its possible I might have missed some stuff).

First game he scored 2 points on 1-5 shooting (0-2 from 3) with 3 rebounds. He started at small forward, and played small forward the whole game, but he didn't play a ton, fewer than half the minutes of the game. It was a bad game from his team. They lost by 25. Both coaches were subbing in and out like crazy. If you've ever seen the second game of back to back games in the NBA after one team gets out to a big first quarter lead, this looked like that. Seemed like both coaches knew what the outcome would be and just wanted to keep their guys healthy for the next battle. Dolezaj was comfortable dribbling the ball in short spurts, but was not a "ball handler." He took his two 3's when he was open with no hesitation, so even though he missed them both it seemed clear to me that he knew he was capable of making them and had the green light. His team had at least one guy and often two guys in the post at all times, and Dolezaj was never one of them. He's a slasher. Caught the ball beyond the three point line and wanted to dribble past his defender into the paint. If you want a comparison, I actually think LeBron James is the best comparison (in style, obviously, not quality). Like LeBron he's a tall forward who plays more like a guard and uses his size as a way to bull to the hoop. The refs in this game (and the second I watched) really let guys play. There were 2 or 3 times Dolezaj was driving to the basket where he would have been shooing foul shots 10 times out of 10 in America but nothing was called here. Defensively he's got SU wing written all over him. He's long, athletic, and bouncy. Sadly, his team played 2-3 zone a few times, but never when he was in the game, so I only got to see him play man against a smaller quicker guy. He did fine, but lost a few one on one battles for rebounds, and will need to improve on that.

The second game I watched (the last the Cusesky posted) was clearly more recent than the first. Dolezaj was a different player in several ways. First, he was a far more competent ball handler. He dribbled a lot more. In the first game he played small forward the whole time, in this game he played shooting guard the whole time. They played zone 3 or 4 different possessions and he was always at the top of the zone. Second, he was a much better shooter. Its not just that he made more shots in this game, its that he was hunting down 3 point opportunities rather than just pulling the trigger when he was wide open. He didn't start, but once he came off the bench he played most of the game. Unlike the first game this was a competitive game that went into overtime (I think, they didn't show the score or the time at any point). Both teams looked like they really wanted to win. Even though Dolezaj started the game and the overtime on the bench, he played starters minutes and was the guy who had the ball in his hands going down the stretch in regulation and in overtime. He started bringing the ball up the court for his team late in the game (which was something new for me to see). I believe his team lost by a point or two (hard to tell with no score and the players were very stoic about it) but he carried his team on his back. Here's his stat line I got: 23 points on 9-14 shooting, 4-6 from three point range, 1-5 from the free throw line, 5 rebounds.

A few other observations. He seems careful with the ball and he seems to make good decisions. He only had 1 turnover and that was at the very early stages of the second game. He carried his team offensively going down the stretch of an overtime game, while being both very efficient and mistake free.

He wasn't hitting from the free throw line in this game, but I hope that's a one time thing (and think its probably a one time thing since he's clearly a good shooter overall) because n America he's going to go to the line a lot more. That physical slashing to the basket style gets rewarded here and lot more often than it did there.

While Dolezaj certainly looked great as a shooting guard in this game, my guess is he's a forward for us (doesn't really matter which one). I'd prefer to see him matched up against bigger slower defenders. I think he'll eat those types up, and struggle more with shorter quicker guys.

Hard to assess the level of competition with videos like this, but my guess would be, its better competition than high school here but not as good competition as D1 college.

I'd love to know when each game was played. Dolezaj clearly came into his own between the two. He definitely had visible potential in the first game, and he seemed to be realizing his potential in the second. Maybe we will get lucky and end up with a guy just starting to grow into his ceiling as a basketball player (which seems to be quite high). I have not seen ether him or Tucker play that much, but I've now seen them both in full games, and if I was a betting man I'd bet on Dolezaj having a better career, for whatever that's worth.

Thanks general! Reading your take on his ball handling was great news. I love having a forward who can handle like a guard, its a major advantage in college. You might have been viewing an early season game and then a late season game. Who knows how long the season is but either way improving ones game and role on the team that much over the course of the season is quite an accomplishment.

Last edited:
Agreed. If this is plan "C," we got awfully lucky.

Need to land him, though.

PS--jline, this is why I was telling you the other day that the can't shoot / Kong comparisons weren't accurate. Dolezaj needs to improve physically, but he is a lot closer to Toni Kukoc than Kong.

Oh man, we're looking at a 6'11 point forward!

I've watched 3 games. While I'm no general20 I see an answer to a missing part on our team. Put Marek at the 3 and you have a 3rd ball handler, a guy who will make open jumpers and a guy who will attack the rim like a bullet when he has a lane. I was very impressed with him. It's like he's shot from a rubber band as soon as he sees a clear lane. He moves the ball quickly when there is nothing and the moves himself. I'd go so far as to predict he'd be our 2nd best player behind Battle this coming season.

Last edited:
I've watched 3 games. We while I'm no general20 I see an answer to a missing part on our team. Put Marek at the 3 and you have a 3rd ball handler, a guy who will make open jumpers and a guy who will attack the rim like a bullet when he has a lane. I was very impressed with him. It's like he's shot from a rubber band as soon as he sees a clear lane. He moves the ball quickly when there is nothing and the moves himself. I'd go so far as to predict he'd be our 2nd best player behind Battle this coming season.

Yep I just finished up watching one and although it wasn't one of his better games the kid is very good all around player. Plays with a high energy and moves good with the ball or without the ball. Makes good reads and finds the open man cutting to the hoop many times. Plays good defense and can cloae out on shooters real quick with his speed and length which would be great in our zone. It's safe to say he would be a huge contributor this year and would play big minutes for us right out of the gate. Think he would be more then ready too because the league he plays in seems pretty legit. Definitely better then your average high school teams.

Yep I just finished up watching one and although it wasn't one of his better games the kid is very good all around player. Plays with a high energy and moves good with the ball or without the ball. Makes good reads and finds the open man cutting to the hoop many times. Plays good defense and can cloae out on shooters real quick with his speed and length which would be great in our zone. It's safe to say he would be a huge contributor this year and would play big minutes for us right out of the gate. Think he would be more then ready too because the league he plays in seems pretty legit. Definitely better then your average high school teams.

Yeah that league didn't have as much talent as the AAU circuit . . . . But they had grown men that had experience and knew how to play. The style of play and flow was much superior to AAU ball here. Marek will be ready right away.

Yeah that league didn't have as much talent as the AAU circuit . . . . But they had grown men that had experience and knew how to play. The style of play and flow was much superior to AAU ball here. Marek will be ready right away.

Not sure if you know or not but I'll ask anyways, do all signs point to a commitment from him or are we kind of in the dark and waiting? Obviously with him only coming to visit us that's a good sign and from all accounts everything went great and some believe they are making sure everything checks out etc but it's just been such a quiet recruitment that its difficult to get a read on it. I mean what would be his other option? Playing pro ball in euro?

Not sure if you know or not but I'll ask anyways, do all signs point to a commitment from him or are we kind of in the dark and waiting? Obviously with him only coming to visit us that's a good sign and from all accounts everything went great and some believe they are making sure everything checks out etc but it's just been such a quiet recruitment that its difficult to get a read on it. I mean what would be his other option? Playing pro ball in euro?

You calling me out bro? I know nothing as Clink would say. I would guess yes though.

I've watched 3 games. While I'm no general20 I see an answer to a missing part on our team. Put Marek at the 3 and you have a 3rd ball handler, a guy who will make open jumpers and a guy who will attack the rim like a bullet when he has a lane. I was very impressed with him. It's like he's shot from a rubber band as soon as he sees a clear lane. He moves the ball quickly when there is nothing and the moves himself. I'd go so far as to predict he'd be our 2nd best player behind Battle this coming season.

Sounds like a potential one and doner...

I missed you.

It wouldn't shock me. These guys are trying to make the NBA after all.
Can I start the ..."he's not ready and needs another year" conversation now, or is it a bit too soon?

I hope he adjusts to college officiating in which everything is a charge.

Thanks for posting all of those. Love how the Euros pass the ball and move without the ball. I'm sick of these silent verbals. Let's get a real commitment. Today would be nice.
I feel like our patience is getting tested imagine how the coaches feel. Unless it's status quo because they like when the recruits decide how the card game ends up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom