Marek Dolezaj | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

I like this development. If Tucker goes to Duke and we end up with this guy, and most likely pick up a grad transfer who can shoot at the 3. I think we're not as bad as people think. Tucker wasn't winning us a NC next year.

Don't let Marek "Hakim" Dolezaj leave campus without committing...
See ya Julius Tucker...

Well done.

I honestly think we lucked out this year. We lost out on some, but have a great foundation. Of course we wanna win right away, but it's tough to pull that off these days.

Thank goodness for Pitt and BC. Because our roster is starting to look like a bottom third of the conference roster. Hate to say it. And yes, I hope, hope, hope, Brissette and Sidibe surprise us ... but I'm not counting on it.

I like this development. If Tucker goes to Duke and we end up with this guy, and most likely pick up a grad transfer who can shoot at the 3. I think we're not as bad as people think. Tucker wasn't winning us a NC next year.

I like Dolezaj, too. Particularly in terms of his long term potential.

I'm just not convinced that he's a guy who can come in and start right away. Which isn't a knock on him or his potential, just a comparison to a guy like Tucker - who could have probably made a difference right away as a shooter / scorer.

Hope we land him, at this point.

I don't know enough about this guy, but in the limited tapes, I like him better than Nahz and Hughes. I like his energy, and his defense. If he can at least keep defenses honest from 3 point range (30+%) he might be a great find. Anyone with any inside knowledge about whether the staff thinks he projects as someone who can contribute as a freshman, or does he need a year in the weight room?

I'm just not convinced that he's a guy who can come in and start right away. Which isn't a knock on him or his potential, just a comparison to a guy like Tucker - who could have probably made a difference right away as a shooter / scorer.

I will take him over Sid or Carter though and it's not close. I would rather do this and focus on all the kids in 18. If Ayala stops listening to the wrong people he can come too. If not let's grab a 5th year to shoot and roll the dice. Next year will not be fun.

My question is do we want both this kid and Tucker or are we just doing a "just in case".

Great question.

Dolezaj reminds me of a poor man's Andrei Kirilenko. I think he'd be a great add, just not sure that he'd be a contributor as fast as Tucker.

Agreed. Very excited about both of these prospects. I think they'll surprise a lot of fans. Would be shocked if both aren't multi-year, above average starters.
I love Brissett and I'm really excited to see him next year. I also think Moyer will really help. I feel like saying it because I've been comparing Moyer to Brissett too much and feel like it looks like I'm not high on Moyer. Sidibe is going to really help defensively right away.

I love Brissett and I'm really excited to see him next year. I also think Moyer will really help. I feel like saying it because I've been comparing Moyer to Brissett too much and feel like it looks like I'm not high on Moyer. Sidibe is going to really help defensively right away.

Based upon how Brissett has developed over the course of the last year, I'd be surprised if he doesn't start. But at 4 or 3? Can he be an effective 3? I now at least two posters that I respect immensely who believes that's where his future is.

To me, he seems more like a 4, at least initially. He's a lot like Jerami Grant. Would love to see him emerge as a difference making wing, because that's what our big team need is.

Based upon how Brissett has developed over the course of the last year, I'd be surprised if he doesn't start. But at 4 or 3? Can he be an effective 3? I now at least two posters that I respect immensely who believes that's where his future is.

To me, he seems more like a 4, at least initially. He's a lot like Jerami Grant. Would love to see him emerge as a difference making wing, because that's what our big team need is.
The last footage I saw his ball handling is so much better and his shooting looked really improved. I haven't seen enough to know if shooting thing is real or just what I watched. The stroke looked pretty good though. I think he could end up being a 3 but it would be great if he wasn't thrust into that role. I will say 4 in year 1 and 3 down the road. Sadly he could be forced into the 3 day 1.

Next season may not be pretty but I think 2018 -19 onward will. We came out of the 2007-2008 NIT back to back's quite well, hopefully this will be a replay. Although I will still not give up on next year by any means!

Next season may not be pretty but I think 2018 -19 onward will. We came out of the 2007-2008 NIT back to back's quite well, hopefully this will be a replay. Although I will still not give up on next year by any means!

The good thing about major college hoops is that a recruit or two can turn things aroundm fast.

The one caution I feel to throw up like a wet blanket [sorry] is that a lot of people pointed to the class of 2017 as the class that would set the tone for our program's success over the next few years. And while I like the components we've added thus far, we haven't addressed several key team needs.

I agree. But i dont want to sell this kid too short. I think Dolejaz will be a better shooter than that 29% reflects. People should note the FIBA 3pt line in 22 ft 2 inches compared to the NCAAs 20 ft 9 inch arc. That's makes a significant difference.

And losing out to Duke sucks, but the reality is that's going to happen most of the time given the current landscape. That said, if we get Dolezaj and a grad transfer who can shoot at the 3 do you feel that would be a solid recovery and give us a chance to make the tourny next year?

Personally, I do, and it would also help us a little more with recruiting in 2018.

Unless we get Tucker, we're going to have to live with Moyer and Brissett as our forwards -- and not worry so much about who is the 3 or 4. The better defender will likely play the 3.

I agree. But i dont want to sell this kid too short. I think Dolejaz will be a better shooter than that 29% reflects. People should note the FIBA 3pt line in 22 ft 2 inches compared to the NCAAs 20 ft 9 inch arc. That's makes a significant difference.

And losing out to Duke sucks, but the reality is that's going to happen most of the time given the current landscape. That said, if we get Dolezaj and a grad transfer who can shoot at the 3 do you feel that would be a solid recovery and give us a chance to make the tourny next year?

Personally, I do, and it would also help us a little more with recruiting in 2018.

Sure -- a fifth year transfer who can shoot / start would be a huge step in the right direction. And to be clear, I'm not selling Dolezah short. Not hard to watch that film and see this kid as a terrific system fit. I don't make that "Andrei Kirilenko" comparison lightly -- that's who he reminds me of. If he's 1/3 of the player, he'll be a terrific college player. I'm just not certain that he'd step in and be as effective of a starter immediately as I envision Tucker would, with Tucker's shooting capabilities.

The one caution I feel to throw up like a wet blanket [sorry] is that a lot of people pointed to the class of 2017 as the class that would set the tone for our program's success over the next few years. And while I like the components we've added thus far, we haven't addressed several key team needs.

A big part of that was that it was going to be a class that would have more time under Hop than JB and would be a litmus test for how the programs appeal would hold up in the new regime.

While I know we are up in arms right now I think the program largely passed that test. We were very rarely going to beat UK and Duke before and we didn't beat them in 17. Not really any change in that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom