Marek drawn charge | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marek drawn charge

I’m thrilled with the call. But it wasn’t close to perfect position

If the Georgetown player tries to get a shot off and doesn’t lead with his shoulder, I’m not sure we get that call.

Man...I thought it was a bad call and would’ve went nuts if that happened to us...which it has too many times, so the charge loving community of college b-ball refs owed us one.

I was freaking out that we were going to have to go the length of the floor in 5 seconds since we weren’t fouling, and then that happened. Wow. Huge.
The guy lowered his shoulder like he was tackling Merak and hit him in the stomach. How is that not a foul unless u play for Ohio st.

he 2 hand grabbed the ball, lowered to about 60% of his height and barreled into Marek head first at a steep angle.

whats the debate? if they didnt call a charge, a travel was coming next. that may the most bonehead play ive seen in 20 years.

That’s an easy call. MD had very good position on an out of control driver with no intention of shooting the ball.

the most telling thing i see in that video is the Gtown bench. Ask me how many gtown players even attempted to question the call... ASK ME!!!

ZERO. not 1. not a single gtown player. over half of them stayed sitting down because they knew it was a charge.

HUGE. Slid into perfect position to give us the ball back with 10 secs left. Effecting the game with “non-box score plays” was his calling card last year & it’s good to see him rounding back into form after an underwhelming start.
View attachment 146775

In a game of several big plays, Tyus winning basket obviously, jalens 3, etc, imo the Marek charge call was the biggest. Huge.

I just think it's a "home team is losing" call. A road team with the lead never gets that.
Huge break. But as mentioned we're due about eleventy thousand of those.

and on the other end: oshae giving tyus just enough of a rub to get a clean look without drawing a whistle himself

Kid was holding the ball like a football. He was going to go through MD regardless of position.

I hate charging calls. It’s the weirdest call in basketball. Happy it helped us as we are usually on the other end of this, but it’s not a natural basketball play.
Neither is running over a guy to get to the basket. I hate that they let guys in the post just push people off with their shoulders

Neither is running over a guy to get to the basket. I hate that they let guys in the post just push people off with their shoulders

They give players cards for flopping in soccer. They should give players technicals in basketball for the same. Call offensive fouls that are legit pushing off, but rewarding a secondary defender for doing nothing but falling down is ridiculous.

Actually that's the preferred position. The defender is allowed to protect himself and that's how it's done. Also there's no argument whether the defender pushed or grabbed the offensive player.

For the record, the rule states that after a player has established legal guarding position, he can move to maintain it. In the NCAA, they want at least one foot on the floor. So the defender can be moving and still draw a charge, as long as those conditions are met.

I'd be interested to hear whether you'd consider that legal guarding position in this instance. I don't think it was egregious, but it looked pretty close to Marek sliding in under a player moving toward the hoop.

Either way I don't consider this a good basketball play and I hate it. Funny that it went in SU's favor for once.

I'd be interested to hear whether you'd consider that legal guarding position in this instance. I don't think it was egregious, but it looked pretty close to Marek sliding in under a player moving toward the hoop.

Either way I don't consider this a good basketball play and I hate it. Funny that it went in SU's favor for once.

The fact refs usually only call charges when the guy falls down says everything. You want to call push offs fine, but I don't get why officials automatically think its an offensive foul only when a guy falls down. Now I will probably have Cowtown lecture me.

The fact refs usually only call charges when the guy falls down says everything. You want to call push offs fine, but I don't get why officials automatically think its an offensive foul only when a guy falls down. Now I will probably have Cowtown lecture me.

On one hand there's gotta be a way to prevent offensive players from doing what the Hoya ballhandler did and bulling their way to the hoop. No place for that.

On the other, sliding your feet in order to fall down isn't defense. I'm in the minority who hated that aspect to Fab Melo's game and I'd rather nobody on this team practice the same strategy. Leave that to the Dukes of the world.

i agree with you.

but this was clearly an offensive foul and was deservedly called so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom