Marrone ... Gone...NOT Gone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone ... Gone...NOT Gone

Eh they can deny all they want, he is getting canned. Two years of garbage football after almost making the Super Bowl is the end. Maybe Sean Payton will bring him back to the Saints

Not so fast...

Wouldn't surprise me if this is rumor mill only. I don't understand why they'd get rid of him. Yeah this year wasn't great, but Foles got hurt in game 1 and Jalen Ramsey is nuts.

People who find glee in others failings are sad.
I get the anger over Marrone leaving the program. The lack of appreciation for the coaching job he did following the abyss of the Robinson era - regardless of his reasons for leaving or his personality or his quitting the Bills or whatever - is a little misguided, IMO.

I get the anger over Marrone leaving the program. The lack of appreciation for the coaching job he did following the abyss of the Robinson era - regardless of his reasons for leaving or his personality or his quitting the Bills or whatever - are a little misguided, IMO.

He isn’t the most likable guy so it’s easy for people to hammer him. However anyone hammering him would have jumped at a job at the highest level of their profession for like double the salary. So he called SU his dream job. First of all, he has proven to be a guy who isn’t happy anywhere so he was destined to leave. Secondly, try working for Gross and Cantor for 4 years and not have the urge to slit your own throat. He brought the program back from the abyss, would have been nice if he stuck around but he was given an NFL shot, he hated recruiting, he is in general a mopey guy who needs to move around, and it isn’t his fault that Shafer turned out to be a moron of a successor, no matter how late in the game it was when he left for Buffalo

Last edited:
I get the anger over Marrone leaving the program. The lack of appreciation for the coaching job he did following the abyss of the Robinson era - regardless of his reasons for leaving or his personality or his quitting the Bills or whatever - is a little misguided, IMO.

Exactly how I feel. We were the worst team in a conference that wasn't that great to begin with and he got us to a bowl game in his second year. And I'm a Bills fan too, so he's left both my teams but I have no problem acknowledging the job he did for Syracuse.

Exactly how I feel. We were the worst team in a conference that wasn't that great to begin with and he got us to a bowl game in his second year. And I'm a Bills fan too, so he's left both my teams but I have no problem acknowledging the job he did for Syracuse.

To be fair, his "job" also included recruiting, which he wasn't good at - I think that even his most ardent supporters would have to admit as much. I'm not trying to flame the guy, but I don't think that he has good people skills, which is especially important for a college HC.

I'm certainly not defending Shafer, but Marrone did leave the cupboard bare.

To be fair, his "job" also included recruiting, which he wasn't good at - I think that even his most ardent supporters would have to admit as much. I'm not trying to flame the guy, but I don't think that he has good people skills, which is especially important for a college HC.

I can't argue with that at all. But I'll give the guy credit for getting thing in a better direction record-wise at a time when we desperately needed it. If he had flamed out after the Robinson fiasco, it would have been bad news for the future.

Jags fans? That’s like saying Rutgers fans.
Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png

I can't argue with that at all. But I'll give the guy credit for getting thing in a better direction record-wise at a time when we desperately needed it. If he had flamed out after the Robinson fiasco, it would have been bad news for the future.
Out of curiosity. I wonder where all the coaches are that he poached from SU when he was here?

I do wonder whether Marrone left in part because he knew that there was no heir apparent on the roster for Nassib (not to mention Lemon, Sales and West).

That said, Shafer did go 7-6 in the ACC, in his first season as HC...

Out of curiosity. I wonder where all the coaches are that he poached from SU when he was here?

Tyrone Wheatley is head coach at Morgan State
Nathaniel Hackett is offensive coordinator at Green Bay
Greg Adkins is OL coach at Marshall
Donnie Henderson was last a defensive coordinator in the defunct AAF
Rob Moore is WR coach with the Titans

I would argue that given the context of the situation he came into, he recruited fairly well. We say we aren’t going to get big time players now, yet say Marrone didn’t recruit well even though his conditions were far worse to try to recruit with.

That said, Shafer did go 7-6 in the ACC, in his first season as HC...

DB would have won 15 games that year... Marrone didn’t have the tough schedule we had this year.

Good. Jaguars fans are dancing in the streets rn. Coughlin and Marrone with help of Caldwell destoryed this team
They “destroyed” the team that hadn’t had a winning season in the 10 years before Marrone arrived?!

The Jaguars are an objectively awful franchise, and Marrone had one, magical 10 win season, before reverting to the usual suckitude.

Marrone’s a decent coach with many limitations and a very obvious ceiling.

FWIW, I always feel the need to mention that I never faulted Marrone for leaving SU for the NFL. Who wouldn’t do that? What I found lousy and unforgivable was him utterly gutting our staff as he left. That was a choice and it stunk.

Where will he land next...NFL or major college?

Coordinator in the NFL. He doesn’t like recruiting.

He’s done better than any other NFL coach who’s had trash QBs. He might get another shot.

They “destroyed” the team that hadn’t had a winning season in the 10 years before Marrone arrived?!

The Jaguars are an objectively awful franchise, and Marrone had one, magical 10 win season, before reverting to the usual suckitude.

Marrone’s a decent coach with many limitations and a very obvious ceiling.
Marrone and Coughlin stumbled into a 10 win season due to the defense stepping up to a next level and proceeded to torpedo their future by re-signing bortles and ultimately letting Fowler and Ramsey go and possibly losing Ngakoue

Marrone and Coughlin stumbled into a 10 win season due to the defense stepping up to a next level and proceeded to torpedo their future by re-signing bortles and ultimately letting Fowler and Ramsey go and possibly losing Ngakoue
All fair. Just that saying they destroyed the team makes it sound like they inherited a winning franchise and ruined it. More that they had a one season run and reverted back to being lousy.

FWIW, I always feel the need to mention that I never faulted Marrone for leaving SU for the NFL. Who wouldn’t do that? What I found lousy and unforgivable was him utterly gutting our staff as he left. That was a choice and it stunk.

Yeah but at least Shafer stayed and, umm, nevermind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom