Marrone ... Gone...NOT Gone | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone ... Gone...NOT Gone

Leaving SU for NFL: Hurt but understandable.
Leaving Buffalo for a $4M check and no other job: Ridiculous.

Being a fan of both teams, I’m not a fan of Doug Marrone. I appreciate his tenure but don’t appreciate him moving forward.

How much of his gains financially has he given back to the University that made it possible?
Ehh I am not sure donation back to the university should be any measure here as it implies that he owes them something and he doesn't. I would be more interested in general knowing if he and his wife are charitable given their financial success and my guess would be yes they are since his wife has been a big supporter of Clearpath for Veterans even since they left Syracuse. As a vet myself, I appreciate their efforts doing that.

Mac took a lot of our top assistants with him. I don’t blame him. I’m just saying Mac did what he had to do too.
Oh sure, I agree. The way he left a relatively young talented team ready for success allowed people to look back fondly on him. If the team hadn't been ready to be so successful, the story may be different. I doubt he planned that. It was likely more a function of him being around longer and recruiting well for a number of years up to that point.

"You are what your record says you are." Belichick was 36-44 with the Browns. By your logic, guess he should have never gotten another chance.
Yeah, that line is one of the dumbest in sports, especially football where so many pieces have to come together for success.

I admit that I was one of the posters who figured that Marrone would be fired in Jacksonville. I still don't believe that Tom Coughlin was the reason that Jacksonville has had so many problems. It is probably true that in the modern NFL, his approach is passe. I know expecting players to be on time or even a little early to meetings and expecting players who are not playing up to their potential to show up for "voluntary" workouts is not how the modern player operates. That being said, in his career, Doug Marrone is a career %451 coach and I do believe that you are what your record says you are. I think Jacksonville just delayed the inevitable. Oh and for the recored, I really don't hope that I'm wrong.

And yet he took over a program that had gone 10-37 with the coach before and went 25-25 with two bowl wins, in his second season with the Bills had the first winning season in 10 years, and in his first year with the Jags first division win in 17 years, first winning season in 10, and almost made it to the Super Bowl.

Leaving SU for NFL: Hurt but understandable.
Leaving Buffalo for a $4M check and no other job: Ridiculous.

Being a fan of both teams, I’m not a fan of Doug Marrone. I appreciate his tenure but don’t appreciate him moving forward.

How much of his gains financially has he given back to the University that made it possible?
How much did his rebuild, even if incomplete, make us relevant enough to be attractive to Dino? Maybe the university owes him just as much as he owes them.

He didn't have to come back to SU. He could've stuck around in the NFL and probably eventually got a shot at being a HC. It seems like he was respected enough within the fraternity.

Hot take: 99 percent of coaches are Glorified gym teachers, dumb in all aspects of life outside of their little corner of the sportsball world.
I'm not sure I fully agree with that, only because I think being a gym teacher is probably actually a pretty sweet job, and I know some people that figured that out and are really happy about their teaching careers in PE.

I gave it a like though because you can't beat ringing in the new year with some scorching takes.

I'm not sure I fully agree with that, only because I think being a gym teacher is probably actually a pretty sweet job, and I know some people that figured that out and are really happy about their teaching careers in PE.

I gave it a like though because you can't beat ringing in the new year with some scorching takes.

I guess nuance is what I deserve for daring to post my blazing thoughts outside of the cozy confines of their designated home on the OT board.

I'd imagine if Jags start out 1-4, 2-4 next year he will be fired.

It's probably playoffs or else for him

"You are what your record says you are." Belichick was 36-44 with the Browns. By your logic, guess he should have never gotten another chance.
There is only one Bill Belichick, there are lots of Doug Marrone's.

Doesn't change the math. BB was average before Brady. In my opinion, Marrone has done a great job with 3 different teams that had a lot of issues when he took over. That's not an accident.
Belichek and Brady cheat too.

Doesn't change the math. BB was average before Brady. In my opinion, Marrone has done a great job with 3 different teams that had a lot of issues when he took over. That's not an accident.
Belichick has gone 14-6 in his last 20 games without Brady as the NE coach.

11-5 in 2008. Brady tore his ACL week 1 and his QB was Matt Cassel
He went 3-1 in 2015 with Jimmy Garrapolio and Jacoby Brissett week’s 1-4 while Brady was suspended.

Marrone is a solid coach but Belichick doesn’t belong in this.
I think Marrone would be good with a good QB but it’s up to him to develop his QBs.

Your definition of "great" is different than mine.

Gym teachers are the envy of every school.

My only question/observation... how many years will have to go by before news about st Doug doesn't result in a huge thread where we rehash every minute of his time here?

I think Marrone is a great football mind but...
- he's extremely arrogant... witness the St. Doug debacle
- he's divisive... I remember numerous alumni complaining that they lost access to the program while he was here and a number of buffalo bills alumni also complained about the same when he was with the bills and with the Jags a number of current players demanded out and it seems like they got a sued by a bunch of players
- he seems to enjoy sucking the joy out of football

My only question/observation... how many years will have to go by before news about st Doug doesn't result in a huge thread where we rehash every minute of his time here?

I think Marrone is a great football mind but...
- he's extremely arrogant... witness the St. Doug debacle
- he's divisive... I remember numerous alumni complaining that they lost access to the program while he was here and a number of buffalo bills alumni also complained about the same when he was with the bills and with the Jags a number of current players demanded out and it seems like they got a sued by a bunch of players
- he seems to enjoy sucking the joy out of football
Hey OF just color me impressed with how you were able to not get sucked into a huge thread on Marrone. Your comments will definitely stop others from commenting. Excellent work! :rolleyes: ;)

I’d compare St. to Wayne Fontes, but the latter led his team to the post-season far more frequently

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom