Marrone out | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone out

They took Fournette over Mahomes and Watson

People didn't pick Mahomes for the same reason they didn't pick Steph Curry.
Nobody could be sure that their lack of physicality could be overcome in such a resounding way.
Elite QB picks are usually taller, faster and a bit bigger, able to take a hit. They knew he had a ridiculous arm. But it's not shocking that he wasn't the number 1 pick. Some of these QBs look like they were grown in the lab. He's not that guy.

Nobody could be sure that their lack of physicality could be overcome in such a resounding way.
Elite QB picks are usually taller, faster and a bit bigger, able to take a hit. They knew he had a ridiculous arm. But it's not shocking that he wasn't the number 1 pick. Some of these QBs look like they were grown in the lab. He's not that guy.
I don't know about that. He was still a top 10 draft pick, so he was pretty highly thought of, as was Watson. I suppose not too many (nobody) realized he would be quite this good, but you don't draft a QB in the top 10 unless you think he will be the man for a long time. It seems like they made the mistake of thinking they had their QB and wanted to draft a RB to complement him. In this era of the devalued RB it probably didn't make sense to draft a RB that high regardless. How much of that was Marrone and how much was over his head? Beats me.

Last edited:

Mahomes definitely had question marks but he was still widely considered to be a 1st round talent. Watson also had a safer floor as a prospect.

These were Blake Bortles stats in his first three years in the league. They definitely needed to consider drafting a QB more that draft year.

Untitled.png

the pure air raid offends them. that's why they didn't draft him. they still think of oklahoma as real football but texas tech is sacrilege to football guys.

Can we stop talking about Mahomes, reminds me my Bears thought Trubisky was a better pick and gave up draft picks to move up and get him. :confused:

Marrone will end up on his feet somewhere. Guy has made a good living so far as a coach. He could probably coach OL’s the rest of his career and be pretty financially secure. He doesn’t strike me as a guy that’s been blowing his money with all these HC jobs.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up as a NFL HC too. You know what you’re getting with him. Solid coach that knows what he’s doing, players generally seem to like him. He’ll win some games, you can stabilize a team keeping it from falling to rock bottom while you build talent. Then replace him with a coach you think will have a higher ceiling when the team with new talent doesn’t perform to expectations. If that happens.

No Marrone fan by any means, but that's why the Jets will always suck. Being influenced by a worm beat writer.
Didn’t Mehta just get banned from the Jets complex for some weird stalking infraction?

the pure air raid offends them. that's why they didn't draft him. they still think of oklahoma as real football but texas tech is sacrilege to football guys.
I don't think it offends them, I think they're not sure how to rate the QBs that come out of it. The offense does such a good job of getting guys open and putting QBs in a position to put up video game numbers, it's harder to tell whether a QB looks good because he's that good or if the system makes him look good. It's not like he was drafted low. He was a top 10 pick. There are a lot of HOF QBs that were drafted way lower.

I don't think it offends them, I think they're not sure how to rate the QBs that come out of it. The offense does such a good job of getting guys open and putting QBs in a position to put up video game numbers, it's harder to tell whether a QB looks good because he's that good or if the system makes him look good. It's not like he was drafted low. He was a top 10 pick. There are a lot of HOF QBs that were drafted way lower.
His tools are off the charts.

(Chip, that's plural, simmer down)

If he had the same skills and played at a terrible offense with worse stats, he would've gone higher. They punished him for "video game numbers"

Last edited:
Inexcusable meathead pick
Yeah and considering how good the defense was then, they get a different qb and quite possibly become the best team in league for years and never have the breakup

Think about drafting Leonard fournette tho if you’re the jags. Completely different course if they get Watson or mahomes. People always forget about that

I can’t say one is worse than the other. The trubisky pick wasn’t terrible, if drafted in the 2nd rd. But they gave up a 1st, 3rd, 4th round pick in a deep draft plus a 3rd or 4th the following year to move up ONE spot to get a guy NOBODY was going to draft in the top 15.

Yeah and considering how good the defense was then, they get a different qb and quite possibly become the best team in league for years and never have the breakup
Draft qbs until you get one and then when you do you won't care that you wasted picks

His tools are off the charts.

(Chip, that's plural, simmer down)

If he had the same skills and played at a terrible offense with worse stats, he would've gone higher. They punished him for "video game numbers"
If a guy throws to wide open recievers all of the time, it's hard to know how he'll do when they aren't wide open. It doesn't mean he can't. It just means he didn't have to before. So yeah, if he played in a "worse" offense that forced him to demonstrate his off the chart tools more, maybe he goes higher. Again, it's not like he went low. He was 10th overall.

There have been other guys with off the chart tools that busted. And guys that flashed then got hurt because they were small. Maybe Robert Griffin is to blame. It's hard to project QBs. Aaron Rodgers dropped farther than him. So did Dan Marino. I guess they were biased against their offenses too.

Last edited:
Sounds like he's working the Jaguars & Chargers for the best deal possible. Maybe the Jags pushed back on his demands a bit so his agent floated some stuff to the press about where they were with the Chargers.

I have a feeling he goes to Jacksonville, but, I've never been a very big fan of Urban the man... Could clearly coach the college game, I'll be interested to see what he can do in the league. Honestly kind of hoping he gets his teeth kicked in and a dose of humility.

Sounds like he's working the Jaguars & Chargers for the best deal possible. Maybe the Jags pushed back on his demands a bit so his agent floated some stuff to the press about where they were with the Chargers.

I have a feeling he goes to Jacksonville, but, I've never been a very big fan of Urban the man... Could clearly coach the college game, I'll be interested to see what he can do in the league. Honestly kind of hoping he gets his teeth kicked in and a dose of humility.

Agree. Urban is a heck of a coach. I won't dispute that. But seems to have a bit too much baggage and ego for my taste.

That pick had TC written all over.
You would think none of these guys have ever seen "Draft Day" before. Head coaches do not make draft picks. Head coaches that Have Tom Coughlin as EVP of Football Operations and Dave Caldwell as GM are even more removed from the draft process. I'm not saying Marrone did not have any input but the draft picks were TC all the way. It was also TC that drove away players like Ramsey, Dante Fowler, Ngakoue and others. And then there is also this from 2019:

"The NFLPA took the unusual step of publicly warning free agents against signing with the Jaguars because of Coughlin's reported disregard for player rights. According to the NFLPA, over 25 percent of player grievances in the past two seasons had been filed against the Jaguars."

Marrone is obviously not blameless but TC must have been a pleasure to coach under too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom