Marrone out | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone out

You do realize that former HC’s have gone there and taken GA jobs
Agreed. It's a very logical next step,. Alabama takes reclamation project coaches and makes their head coach potential ramp up exponentially.

Marrone is nowhere near as damaged as someone like sarkisian, this is a great interim step for him, the money is certainly not even relevant, he'll be a head coach at either level again within 2 years.

Agreed. It's a very logical next step,. Alabama takes reclamation project coaches and makes their head coach potential ramp up exponentially.

Marrone is nowhere near as damaged as someone like sarkisian, this is a great interim step for him, the money is certainly not even relevant, he'll be a head coach at either level again within 2 years.
Not sure about that. Sark was a college HC with one very notable issue that is resolved. Marrone was a middle of the road guy in college (who hated recruiting) and a guy with a really rough tenure at two stops in the NFL. NFL types won’t be too enamored with a stop in college and I don’t know if he’s a CFB HC.

I’d shoot for a coordinator position in the NFL.

Not sure about that. Sark was a college HC with one very notable issue that is resolved. Marrone was a middle of the road guy in college (who hated recruiting) and a guy with a really rough tenure at two stops in the NFL. NFL types won’t be too enamored with a stop in college and I don’t know if he’s a CFB HC.

I’d shoot for a coordinator position in the NFL.
Not sure about what? That Sarkisian wasn't a more damaged prospect?

I'm not talking about their respective coaching upside post Alabama, I'm talking about where they were relatively speaking heading into that.

Not sure about what? That Sarkisian wasn't a more damaged prospect?

I'm not talking about their respective coaching upside post Alabama, I'm talking about where they were relatively speaking heading into that.
Yeah, that’s what I was saying. Sark is an alcoholic, but a fine offensive mind and well established in CFB. Marrone was a .500 coach here vs a historically lesser SOS, and followed that with two stints as a less than mediocre NFL HC.

Does a stint under Saban rehabilitate his pro coaching cred? Does he want to be a CFB HC?

Sark got sober, remained sober, and wanted to be a CFB HC.

Maybe Saint Doug should have never left his "dream job".

I dont feel sorry for him at all.
I don't know that anyone feels sorry for him. I think if he got with the right GM he would be more successful than he has been so far.

Yeah, that’s what I was saying. Sark is an alcoholic, but a fine offensive mind and well established in CFB. Marrone was a .500 coach here vs a historically lesser SOS, and followed that with two stints as a less than mediocre NFL HC.

Does a stint under Saban rehabilitate his pro coaching cred? Does he want to be a CFB HC?

Sark got sober, remained sober, and wanted to be a CFB HC.
He was a less than mediocre coach with the Bills? He got them to 9-7 in year 2 with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton at the controls. He then got within a 4th quarter meltdown of the super bowl with Blake Bortles. If Marrone is a bad football coach then I have no clue what you must say about Dino who has less wins in 5 years then Marrone had in 4.

I don't know that anyone feels sorry for him. I think if he got with the right GM he would be more successful than he has been so far.

He deceived and betrayed the fan base and community.

I dont care for the man.
You can dislike him.
He did nothing wrong with how he left.
He got a promotion and did a decent job as HC here.
He left some meat on the bone in the 2012 season but bad luck happened.

He left an average program when he went to the NFL after inheriting a bottom tier program.

I don’t think he is a Saint but I respect the job he did. He can rub people the wrong way which is fine you are in that camp. Just be fair.

At this point, I'm convinced that you're not responding to a real human.

There is a reason as an alum he hasn't been around these parts since he left. The feeling of being deceived and betrayed is felt within the university and the community.

There is a reason as an alum he hasn't been around these parts since he left. The feeling of being deceived and betrayed is felt within the university and the community.
Doug Marrone was in Chicago in 2016 at the NCAA Tournament rooting for the basketball team on the Friday night when they played Gonzaga. He was the guest of the AD so I guess he is good with the new ADs post Gross. That was Coyle but my guess is fine with Wildhack as well.

He has been working in the NFL so he hasn’t been to Dome as he hasn’t had a chance.

When we went to the Orlando bowl in 2018 he sent Dino and the team a gift for their 9-3 season.

The dude isn’t evil. He left because he got sold a bill of goods and Dr. Gross couldn’t deliver because the Athletic department was being audited in 2012 and the athletic director had his purse strings taken from him.
When Marrone left Gross couldn’t spend money with authorization from the Chancellor.

Gross was in the process of losing his job and Marrone was promised an IPF(indoor practice facility) and a bigger budget for coaches/recruiting/social media employee.

Gross didn’t deliever. Gross was told by Marrone’s agent Jimmy Sexton in December 2012 that Marrone would take interest calls from NFL teams. Marrone finished the bowl game. Got interest from 2 NFL teams and took the Bills job.

Gross knew it was possible. He wasn’t caught off guard. Marrone left.

Everything post Marrone is because of Gross not Marrone.

When we lost Brandon Coleman to Rutgers I was told broke Marrone
with Syracuse recruiting ability.

You don’t have to like the guy but he wasn’t what you said.

Doug Marrone was in Chicago in 2016 at the NCAA Tournament rooting for the team on the Friday night when they played Gonzaga.

He has been working in the NFL so he hasn’t been to Dome as he hasn’t had a chance.

When we went to the Orlando bowl in 2018 he sent Dino and the team a gift for their 9-3 season.

The dude isn’t evil. He left because he got sold a bill of goods and Dr. Gross couldn’t deliver because the Athletic department was being audited in 2012 and the athletic director had his purse strings taken from him.
When Marrone left Gross couldn’t spend money with authorization from the Chancellor.

Gross was in the process of losing his job and Marrone was promised an IPF(indoor practice facility) and a bigger budget for coaches/recruiting/social media employee.

Gross didn’t deliever. Gross was told by Marrone’s agent Jimmy s e xton in December 2012 that Marrone would take interest calls from NFL teams. Marrone finished the bowl game. Got interest from 2 NFL teams and took the Bills job.

Gross knew it was possible. He wasn’t caught off guard. Marrone left.

Everything post Marrone is because of Gross not Marrone.

When we lost Brandon Coleman to Rutgers I was told broke Marrone
with Syracuse recruiting ability.

You don’t have to like the guy but he wasn’t what you said.

I just thought football wise he was going to be our Jb. Dont ever say dream job then if you were planning on eventually leaving.

I just thought football wise he was going to be our Jb. Dont ever say dream job then if you were planning on eventually leaving.
Please don't ever go into the recruiting threads then. You would end up hating A LOT of 16-18 year olds that say Syracuse is their dream school and then go elsewhere.

As you age, you will learn that goals in life change. Especially after you reach that goal. Most of us have goals. When we reach them, we usually don't say, well, I did it. I can die now. Usually, most normal people, set new goals.

As you age, you will learn that goals in life change. Especially after you reach that goal. Most of us have goals. When we reach them, we usually don't say, well, I did it. I can die now. Usually, most normal people, set new goals.
I'm not defending CuseRunner and have no ill will toward Marrone but I think there is a relevant difference. Mac was here longer, had the undefeated season, and left the cupboard stocked with young talent. To be fair and balanced, he also was able to work with what were competitive facilities at the time, whereas Marrone wasn't given what was allegedly promised.

Last edited:
I just want to say that I felt betrayed when Coach Mac took the Patriots job. But I forgave him when he came back to us.