Marrone out | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone out

Yeah, that’s what I was saying. Sark is an alcoholic, but a fine offensive mind and well established in CFB. Marrone was a .500 coach here vs a historically lesser SOS, and followed that with two stints as a less than mediocre NFL HC.

Does a stint under Saban rehabilitate his pro coaching cred? Does he want to be a CFB HC?

Sark got sober, remained sober, and wanted to be a CFB HC.

good lord, just stop

hes had one decent qb relative to the level of competition, and that was nassib. His second best qb was Minshew.

this year was a complete gut and tank job by Jacksonville. The team is nothing but picks and cap room. almost all the good players they picked the last couple of years were playing for other teams this last weekend.

he was a blown call away from going to the Super Bowl with Blake bortles

Yeah, that’s what I was saying. Sark is an alcoholic, but a fine offensive mind and well established in CFB. Marrone was a .500 coach here vs a historically lesser SOS, and followed that with two stints as a less than mediocre NFL HC.

Does a stint under Saban rehabilitate his pro coaching cred? Does he want to be a CFB HC?

Sark got sober, remained sober, and wanted to be a CFB HC.

And I think that take is off-base. Marrone gets a lot of flack around here, but he parlayed his tenure at SU into landing on of the 32 most prominent jobs in his profession at the NFL level, then procured a second job at that level.

He was a less than mediocre coach with the Bills? He got them to 9-7 in year 2 with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton at the controls. He then got within a 4th quarter meltdown of the super bowl with Blake Bortles. If Marrone is a bad football coach then I have no clue what you must say about Dino who has less wins in 5 years then Marrone had in 4.

You'll probably accuse me of splitting hairs, but I never said he was a bad football coach.

Not sure how you can disregard his w/l record (.348) as an NFL HC but sprinkle in his two good seasons and then try to compare w/l record with Dino without bringing up Dino's big season or big wins?

You made the very argument for Dougie that I've beeb making for Dino for months.

And I think that take is off-base. Marrone gets a lot of flack around here, but he parlayed his tenure at SU into landing on of the 32 most prominent jobs in his profession at the NFL level, then procured a second job at that level.

My point was that it's a weird move if you're Doug shooting for a third NFL gig. I think Sark's moves make more sense and he had a shorter road to rehabilitation to his dream CFB job.

Maybe Doug just wants to be an OL coach with the best talent in CFB?

(He did parlay his time here into an NFL gig. I'm only arguing that he's a mediocre HC - here and in the NFL - that needs some image rehab to get into another NFL HC job. Being a mediocre HC 3x is no small feat. People are acting like a besmirched Saban or Urban)

good lord, just stop

hes had one decent qb relative to the level of competition, and that was nassib. His second best qb was Minshew.

this year was a complete gut and tank job by Jacksonville. The team is nothing but picks and cap room. almost all the good players they picked the last couple of years were playing for other teams this last weekend.

he was a blown call away from going to the Super Bowl with Blake bortles

They tanked to get a good QB and then thought he wasn't the HC to coach him?

Part of the issue in Jax was his doing. Didn't leave Buff or here without a bit of a mess behind.

He's ok. He's not great.

Also Doug's OC Hackett that he brought to Syracuse and then to Buffalo and J'ville is thought of as one of the best offensive minds in the NFL, and Doug was forced to fire him by the front office. That's the kind of managers he's had to work under. If he works for Saban and Saban says he should get an NFL job, he will get it.

They tanked to get a good QB and then thought he wasn't the HC to coach him?

Part of the issue in Jax was his doing. Didn't leave Buff or here without a bit of a mess behind.

He's ok. He's not great.
Gross was left behind genius, he was the mess.

My point was that it's a weird move if you're Doug shooting for a third NFL gig. I think Sark's moves make more sense and he had a shorter road to rehabilitation to his dream CFB job.

Maybe Doug just wants to be an OL coach with the best talent in CFB?

(He did parlay his time here into an NFL gig. I'm only arguing that he's a mediocre HC - here and in the NFL - that needs some image rehab to get into another NFL HC job. Being a mediocre HC 3x is no small feat. People are acting like a besmirched Saban or Urban)
Eh, he was not mediocre at Syracuse or Buffalo, especially if you consider where they were coming from.
Not sure why you keep on trying to rewrite history on Marrone.

No doubt. But you think Marrone, given what we know now after his last two spots was blameless?
Jacksonville was going to work out until TC went nuts. It's really amazing how much people in Jacksonville still like him. The players really liked him and fought hard every game with the worst roster in the NFL.

Okay. But so did Rich Kotite...just saying. Lol

Not sure about that. Sark was a college HC with one very notable issue that is resolved. Marrone was a middle of the road guy in college (who hated recruiting) and a guy with a really rough tenure at two stops in the NFL. NFL types won’t be too enamored with a stop in college and I don’t know if he’s a CFB HC.

I’d shoot for a coordinator position in the NFL.
He doesn't have to work hard to recruit at Alabama, they choose their players

You'll probably accuse me of splitting hairs, but I never said he was a bad football coach.

Not sure how you can disregard his w/l record (.348) as an NFL HC but sprinkle in his two good seasons and then try to compare w/l record with Dino without bringing up Dino's big season or big wins?

You made the very argument for Dougie that I've beeb making for Dino for months.

Wait, you did and do the exact same thing to promote your opinion. It’s so funny that anytime Marrones name is brought up as being a decent coach you find it to be a personal assault on DB. People on here are just weird sometimes.

The level of butthurt on this whole topic is mind numbing. The guy did what probably every single person on this board would do given the circumstances.

Also, don’t comment if you weren’t on here actually following the team from the time he stepped in. Talking about the SOS Marrone had completely misses the job he took over at so many levels. It’s a really weak and lazy argument. The guy kicked 30% of the players to the curb, had 1.5 months to recruit before the signing period, picked up a whole bunch of no stars and 1 star players - guys the HS teams didn’t even know were on the team and instantly made the team more competitive all around.

No doubt. But you think Marrone, given what we know now after his last two spots was blameless?

you think he made the roster decisions and alienated his best players?

Doug Marrone was in Chicago in 2016 at the NCAA Tournament rooting for the basketball team on the Friday night when they played Gonzaga. He was the guest of the AD so I guess he is good with the new ADs post Gross. That was Coyle but my guess is fine with Wildhack as well.

He has been working in the NFL so he hasn’t been to Dome as he hasn’t had a chance.

When we went to the Orlando bowl in 2018 he sent Dino and the team a gift for their 9-3 season.

The dude isn’t evil. He left because he got sold a bill of goods and Dr. Gross couldn’t deliver because the Athletic department was being audited in 2012 and the athletic director had his purse strings taken from him.
When Marrone left Gross couldn’t spend money with authorization from the Chancellor.

Gross was in the process of losing his job and Marrone was promised an IPF(indoor practice facility) and a bigger budget for coaches/recruiting/social media employee.

Gross didn’t deliever. Gross was told by Marrone’s agent Jimmy s e xton in December 2012 that Marrone would take interest calls from NFL teams. Marrone finished the bowl game. Got interest from 2 NFL teams and took the Bills job.

Gross knew it was possible. He wasn’t caught off guard. Marrone left.

Everything post Marrone is because of Gross not Marrone.

When we lost Brandon Coleman to Rutgers I was told broke Marrone
with Syracuse recruiting ability.

You don’t have to like the guy but he wasn’t what you said.
Nicely summarized.

What’s the question?
1611105144877.jpeg

I don't like this Marrone as Alabama OL coach crawl that I'm seeing.