Marrone out | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone out

"Dream Job"

Oh god, cry that a guy called something his dream job, then left for better opportunities after not getting the support he expected.

Please leave your address so I can mail you some tissues. Holy crap, this is a football board. Toughen up.

You can dislike him.
He did nothing wrong with how he left.
He got a promotion and did a decent job as HC here.
He left some meat on the bone in the 2012 season but bad luck happened.

He left an average program when he went to the NFL after inheriting a bottom tier program.

I don’t think he is a Saint but I respect the job he did. He can rub people the wrong way which is fine you are in that camp. Just be fair.
Except the part where he literally lied about his intentions and played games with the fan base and recruits before leaving after being on the cusp of finally ... finally constructing a stable foundation this program so desperately needed and still needs

Except the part where he literally lied about his intentions and played games with the fan base and recruits before leaving after being on the cusp of finally ... finally constructing a stable foundation this program so desperately needed and still needs
So, what almost every other coach has done.

Had a crazy thought. Saban is going to coach 1 more year, turns 70, nothing more to prove, and Marrone will be his replacement.
Think bout it. What are they offering him that he wouldn't get being an NFL o-line coach?

Doug seems like someone who will learn from his time with Bama and use that to improve as a coach no matter where he goes next. I’m sure anyone in CFB would find something to take from that experience. He should be on our coaching radar for as long as he is coaching.

Dream job doesn’t mean dream scenario.
It’s already been posted about the handcuffs that FHCDM and the good doctor had on, which led to a majority of the promised made to Doug not happen. He made us respectable during the time he was here. This dream job stuff is way overblown.

Dream job doesn’t mean dream scenario.
It’s already been posted about the handcuffs that FHCDM and the good doctor had on, which led to a majority of the promised made to Doug not happen. He made us respectable during the time he was here. This dream job stuff is way overblown.

Coaches say stuff all the time, change jobs all the time. If anyone thought Doug would be at Syracuse forever well I don't know what to tell you. The issue is that fans want coaches to stay when they win and after a bad season or 2 they want them fired. The issue is that if a coach is going to stay a long term, there has to be a give and take, loyalty by those hiring and firing when times are tough and loyalty by the coach when times are good. This really doesn't happen anymore. It just doesn't.

I am not sure Dino's loyalty after 2018 was by default but with a 5-7 season in 2019 there weren't many options and after 2020 well he's probably fighting for his job this season. Now if he rights the ship the next two seasons I am curious as to what that looks like.

My point is I agree with your post, I am sure Doug always thought of being the HC at Syracuse in an extremely favorable light. It was his first HC job as well. Dreams versus Reality are two different things He also got a HC job in the NFL, tough to say no to. Not that complicated. Doug also hated his boss.

Last edited:
He worked for Gross, I don't blame the guy in hindsight. He didn't get the support he needed to be successful. Coyle / Wildhack and it's probably different.

The thing I don't get about it, was it just Gross promising things he ultimately couldn't fund?

Or was it Gross promising it but spending the money elsewhere.

It's an important distinction. Of all people, I'd guess Doug knew the landscape here, so if a non-Syracuse snake oil salesman was promising you the moon, I wouldn't think it would come as much of a surprise when it didn't materialize.

Maybe he just needed to be here, see it firsthand, and then realized it was no longer the place for him. Makes you wonder how much Dino regrets not jumping somewhere after the 10 win season.

you think he made the roster decisions and alienated his best players?

You didn’t answer my question. Do you think he’s blameless, here, Buffalo, Jacksonville? The same issues crop up. The guy is a mediocre coach who can be tough on the people around him. That can be good but also tends to wear people out.

To answer your question:

I think he had a say in roster decisions and helped create a culture that alienated his players.

He‘s an alum and a guy I want to see succeed. I‘d take him back here, for sure. But not a lot of folks able to see him clearly enough

Reports are Marrone will be in Tuscaloosa today and meeting with staff. No word on if/when anything will be made official. BoB still hasn’t been announced but he’s been out recruiting and fully moved into an office there.

Coaches say stuff all the time, change jobs all the time. If anyone thought Doug would be at Syracuse forever well I don't know what to tell you. The issue is that fans want coaches to stay when they win and after a bad season or 2 they want them fired. The issue is that if a coach is going to stay a long term, there has to be a give and take, loyalty by those hiring and firing when times are tough and loyalty by the coach when times are good. This really doesn't happen anymore. It just doesn't.

I am not sure Dino's loyalty after 2018 was by default but with a 5-7 season in 2019 there weren't many options and after 2020 well he's probably fighting for his job this season. Now if he rights the ship the next two seasons I am curious as to what that looks like.

My point is I agree with your post, I am sure Doug always thought of being the HC at Syracuse in an extremely favorable light. It was his first HC job as well. Dreams versus Reality are two different things He also got a HC job in the NFL, tough to say no to. Not that complicated. Doug also hated his boss.
All this is right. I would also add that aspirations change as your careers goes. The goals you had 10 years ago might be different based on what you have accomplished.