Marrone | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone

Nothing says ass-kicker like hurt feelings over the mean small-market media, expecting a statue built for you after win #8 and splitting at the soonest opportunity.

Maybe the Bills would have been more willing to take his narcissism if he was better at his job.

But he's a "winner"! His defense led the team to a 9-7 record, which was the team's best record since the glory days of Mike Mularkey!

So in otherwords you can be a total regarding people you believe "deserve" it.

But Marrone is a low life because entrenched management at highly dysfunctional and poorly performing organizations thought he was a pain in the ass because he wanted to change those organizations and wanted resources and authority to do his job.

Did he have little patience for media that he didn't believe, and in reality actually didn't, treat him fairly, absolutely. Guess what, too bad. Bunch of radio geeks and newspaper types who like to dish it out but can't take it.

People act like SU and Buffalo were places where there was a toaster fire and needed a little clean up, while they were closer to superfund toxic waste sites. He was brought in to kick asses and get it turned around and then people are upset when he was doing his job.

Go - you have the jist of it. He never cared if people like him or not all he cared about was winning games. He informs SU & Bills what's needed to win and he gets kicked in the b@!!$ for letting the "establishment" know what's needed to win (in his mind anyway) that upsets the establishment. Well maybe those in the establishment need to get kicked in the b@!!$ themselves.

SU is still in backwards thinking mode (BOT/Chancellor/AD) but mainly due to its focus on bball, lax & a huge overweight in Olympic sports more so than football. I am still hopeful with the new chancellor that priorities change - actually when the NCAA decision on bball comes down, if bad, I do expect that Gross, not JB, will be the fall guy.

When JB retires, it will be interesting to see if bball remains a priority or if football becomes more of a priority. With the new non-donor funded IPF, things may already have been set in motion towards football anyway (including a new or rehabbed Dome???). What really needs to change - football coaching compensation. Until these changes take place, expect more of the same not only from SU but those on this Board that are SU establishment homies. Nuff said.

Nothing says ass-kicker like hurt feelings over the mean small-market media, expecting a statue built for you after win #8 and splitting at the soonest opportunity.

Maybe the Bills would have been more willing to take his narcissism if he was better at his job.

Where does some of this stuff come from, "expecting a statue"? Give me one instance where there is any evidence he is looking for praise?

He's the first one to say he's got to do a better job, gives all credit to his coaches and players, and he certainty didn't make a big deal out of any wins.

His problem has always been with over the criticism, which is not the same thing as wanting praise. So wanting to be treated fairly is now narcissism?

Where does some of this stuff come from, "expecting a statue"? Give me one instance where there is any evidence he is looking for praise?

He's the first one to say he's got to do a better job, gives all credit to his coaches and players, and he certainty didn't make a big deal out of any wins.

His problem has always been with over the criticism, which is not the same thing as wanting praise. So wanting to be treated fairly is now narcissism?

Well, I mean, people aren't snarkily calling him "Saint" Doug around here for no reason. Didn't that come from him?

So far the only thing that is close to on the record is that he told Polian Buffalo front office types were bad mouthing him. The same people who have been integral to the exemplary level of performance of the Buffalo Bills for the last 15 years.

So you have those guys, Buffalo radio punt obsessed geeks, TDG and his strap hangers, a coach that public abused a player on the sideline, and a Jets beat hack who is generally regarded as by far the worst and least credible guy covering the Jets.
i think the count is up to 3 jets beat hacks who are anti marrone.

chakka3421 said:
Go - you have the jist of it. He never cared if people like him or not all he cared about was winning games. He informs SU & Bills what's needed to win and he gets kicked in the b@!!$ for letting the "establishment" know what's needed to win (in his mind anyway) that upsets the establishment. Well maybe those in the establishment need to get kicked in the b@!!$ themselves. SU is still in backwards thinking mode (BOT/Chancellor/AD) but mainly due to its focus on bball, lax & a huge overweight in Olympic sports more so than football. I am still hopeful with the new chancellor that priorities change - actually when the NCAA decision on bball comes down, if bad, I do expect that Gross, not JB, will be the fall guy. When JB retires, it will be interesting to see if bball remains a priority or if football becomes more of a priority. With the new non-donor funded IPF, things may already have been set in motion towards football anyway (including a new or rehabbed Dome???). What really needs to change - football coaching compensation. Until these changes take place, expect more of the same not only from SU but those on this Board that are SU establishment homies. Nuff said.

Pfft. The list is far longer than "the establishment".

And where do you get non-donor funded IPF? I get letters asking for money for the IPF. I donated to it. This board had a link for donating. I know of at least one person who donated after Marrone left. They are still asking for money for various naming rights.

Millhouse only exaggerates for effect- clearly the only thing holding Buffalo back as an organization was the highly functional front office- those same people going scorched Earth on a guy who isn't even there any more. Adults would just move on but those incompetents want to keep sucking on the Bills teet and need a scapegoat.

Last edited:
Well, I mean, people aren't snarkily calling him "Saint" Doug around here for no reason. Didn't that come from him?

It was a joke about once you perform a couple of miracles you are eligible for Sainthood, not how he sees himself personally.

It was a joke about once you perform a couple of miracles you are eligible for Sainthood, not how he sees himself personally.

Ummm, no...

"Sources said Marrone has referred to himself as "Saint Doug" at times, referencing the fact that it takes two miracles to be canonized as a saint, and that he already pulled off one miracle by winning at Syracuse and alluding to the fact it would take another miracle to win in Buffalo."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...in-shouting-match-for-marrone-bills-officials

I'm sure he said it jokingly, but it's a weird joke to make. And it certainly implies that he deserves praise, wasn't that your point?

Ummm, no...

"Sources said Marrone has referred to himself as "Saint Doug" at times, referencing the fact that it takes two miracles to be canonized as a saint, and that he already pulled off one miracle by winning at Syracuse and alluding to the fact it would take another miracle to win in Buffalo."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...in-shouting-match-for-marrone-bills-officials

I'm sure he said it jokingly, but it's a weird joke to make. And it certainly implies that he deserves praise, wasn't that your point?

Isn't that what I wrote? Why does it imply anything.

The one guy for the Daily News.

Who else?
mehta is clearly the lead dog. walder right there. costello and serby not on board. so thats 4, but serby is off the jet beat.

on the radio, its a landslide against...Evan & Joe and Francesa. so from 10-6:30 everyday...you get anti-marrone rhetoric.

Boomer & Carton taking a wait and see approach.

marrone is dead in the water here.

he wont get a job this year.

or next.

marrone just coached his last game as a 'hired' HC.

he may get a chance to coach again as an interm coach, but hes done as an HC.

mark it down.

If this ends up being true, the guys I feel sorry for are Hackett, Moore, whoever else went along with him. I get that it's a life of being a coach thing. That's what you sign up for. But it's not like they failed. They were successful. They're the victim of the head coach they followed just opted out and took his $4M.

Wonder if they even knew about the opt out when they decided to go with him.

His problem has always been with over the criticism, which is not the same thing as wanting praise.
What's the difference?

Marrone hated being criticized by those whose job it is to talk about the Bills. He can't seriously expect them to not discuss the Bills, can he? The only other option would be praise.

There were reports saying he and the Bills (Brandon) were "livid" that WGR were discussing Marrone's job status after the Packers win. They weren't even criticizing, they were simply asking the question of if his job was safe. That was enough to make Marrone "livid".

So of course he was wanting and expecting praise.

The "rode the coat tails of his DC's" is an interesting concept. Do teams actually need a head coach? There is a lot of money to be saved if all you need to do is find a good defensive coordinator.

As far as defensive performance,
Players >>>>> DC >>> Offensive minded HC.
It's interesting that you find this remotely interesting.

mehta is clearly the lead dog. walder right there. costello and serby not on board. so thats 4, but serby is off the jet beat.

on the radio, its a landslide against...Evan & Joe and Francesa. so from 10-6:30 everyday...you get anti-marrone rhetoric.

Boomer & Carton taking a wait and see approach.

marrone is dead in the water here.

he wont get a job this year.

or next.

Where do you get all that from.

Serby wrote one column, said go get him, as in advocating for his hire. Costello is being straight about it, wrote a couple of articles from former players about him being a great guy to play for.

Cimini has been favorable.

Just heard that Walder, was completely down the middle. Not an advocate, certainty not hostile.

Just listening to a quote from Boomer, killed Casullo and Mehta. Said the Jets consider Casullo a jackass with an axe to grind.

Looks like you're back to the single most reviled reporter beating the drums on his own.

Where do you get all that from.

Serby wrote one column, said go get him, as in advocating for his hire. Costello is being straight about it, wrote a couple of articles from former players about him being a great guy to play for.

Cimini has been favorable.

Just heard that Walder, was completely down the middle. Not an advocate, certainty not hostile.

Just listening to a quote from Boomer, killed Casullo and Mehta. Said the Jets consider Casullo a jackass with an axe to grind.

Looks like you're back to the single most reviled reporter beating the drums on his own.
things have changed.

wait and watch...

but hes certainly lost the radio.

mehta is a nut job for sure.

things have changed.

wait and watch...

I understand that WFAN is the big dog, but Kay has a platform on YES, but he thinks this is ridiculous.

Casullo is walking a great deal of his rant back right now.

things have changed.

wait and watch...

I don't live there, so you can confirm, but I think it's worse to lose the guy on the radio from 1 to 6 than anything else. Seems like a good amount of the city is listening, whether you like him or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom