Marrone | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone

According to ESPN Jets writer Rich Cimini, Marrone's interview "was said to be excellent".

So there's still hope!

To be indispensable you need to get that Oakland game done, the top coaches do. The front office is a mess no doubt and as I said before he has done an admirable job but consider the following:

- The whole sainthood thing if true is ridiculous considering in both circumstances (SU and Buffalo) he rode the coat tails of some damn good DCs and totally flopped in his area of expertise which is on the offensive side. If the offenses were lights out and the D sucked it would be a lot easier to be seen as savior.

- He misleads recruits and members of staff about leaving SU ... and then sucked a good portion of the staff out which is his business but he did it at a really tough time for the program.

- Obviously he is a lighting rod for conflict and I'm not saying it is his fault but being abrasive hasn't seemed to help him at any of his stops.

- Marrone dumps the Bills with his out clause (hey they were dumb enough to provide it) and has wasted no time shopping himself around and done it with a division rival no less which doesn't help matters. That would be like Coach K leaving Duke to go coach UNC.

- He has burned bridges with many and obviously hurt some feelings, again I'm not saying it was his fault but I'm sure he has played a part in all of it.

- He has leaked his displeasure with front office decisions ... fine that is his right however as a matter of professional courtesy and knowing I wanted future employment I avoided that so I don't come across as angry or bitter.

- He hates the media but pursues the highest level job in his profession knowing full well its a part of what he does ... put up or shut up is what my grandfather would say.

There are many other reasons I almost feel like I'm wasting my breath here.

Fair enough, but many of the reasons you have given I could personally care less about in a coach of my team and don't really think it's a fair standard. I use the St. Doug moniker tongue in cheek, I don't think there are too many irreplaceable coaches, with the possible exception of Belichek, but even he was a middling coach until Brady arrived on scene.

Misleads recruits and staff- very possibly true, but I'm not sure what the alternative is for a coach out interviewing. Is full disclosure appropriate to a perspective recruit or staffer? Seems naive because if you don't get that job you won't have a recruiting class to fall back on and as we have seen- people like to talk- especially ambitious coaches. Not sure there is a good way to handle this situation other than discretion. Seems to me paranoia is justified in this scenario.

Not sure I can be upset with the guy as you noted for exercising his out clause, let alone going across the street to a divisional rival. No offense but Bills/Jets isn't quite on par with Duke/NC. Either way, as has been noted there are only 32 NFL gigs and if you want to start crossing off certain teams because of fan rivalry that seems naive to me. This is his profession, he's not a fan. Plus on some level St. Doug may even feel he was done wrong and might enjoy sticking it to the Bills. Can't fault him for that.

Sounds like he has burned a few bridges. So? Pretty sure he's not coming back to Buffalo. We can debate who's fault that is and neither one of us will ever be right. There's always two sides and it seems like there is some entrenched interests at 1 Bills Drive that have their own, not the fans, interests at heart. It's quite likely Marrone is not well liked, but I can't kill a guy for defending his own self-interest. In case you hadn't noticed, they're trying to bury this guy in Buffalo.

As for hating the media. So? Exhibit A- Belichek hates the media. Hasn't spoken to Peter King in years Exhibit B- Rex Ryan's great with the media. Care to pick one over the other?

Which leaves us with the exit from both SU and the Bills- this is what drives the anti- Marrone sentiment imo. Nobody likes to be rejected but honestly this doesn't bother me either. Again, I can't fault anyone for bettering their situation in life, even if it hurts my team. This is their profession. We are the fans. We can afford to be emotional. Coaches must do their best to be dispassionate and objective. Its unfair to expect these guys to do anything other than fulfill their contractual obligations, they already kill themselves and neglect their families for our entertainment and their ambition. St. Doug is in Cleveland without the opt out so at the time, it was a good move for Buffalo to get their man and it gave Doug renumeration in the likely event of the sale of the team and mitigated one of the biggest negatives to the job at the time.

Last edited:
The "rode the coat tails of his DC's" is an interesting concept. Do teams actually need a head coach? There is a lot of money to be saved if all you need to do is find a good defensive coordinator.

The disaster known as the Buffalo Bills now have 13 head coach candidates , great strategy , throw everything at the wall and see what sticks . Doug got out while the getting was good.

The disaster known as the Buffalo Bills now have 13 head coach candidates , great strategy , throw everything at the wall and see what sticks . Doug got out while the getting was good.

I had a college buddy who, 15 minutes before last call would approach every drunk girl at the bar. 99 x out of 100 he'd get a slap or a drink in the face, but he never went home alone. That buddy is now an elite member of the Bills brain trust.

CousCuse said:
It's amazing that little old pathetic buffalo can find that many people interested in the job, right?

It's amazing that little old pathetic buffalo can find that many people interested in the job, right?

Somehow he is going to turn that into the idea that you just made a racist remark ... wait for it ...

Somehow he is going to turn that into the idea that you just made a racist remark ... wait for it ...
The Raiders beat the Bills because Dareaus went out and they couldn't stop the run and Gilmore went out and they couldn't stop the pass. The Raiders are a young , talented and improving team , who 2 weeks before the Bills game , beat the Chiefs.

I had a college buddy who, 15 minutes before last call would approach every drunk girl at the bar. 99 x out of 100 he'd get a slap or a drink in the face, but he never went home alone. That buddy is now an elite member of the Bills brain trust.
LOL former la gov eddie edwards once said that 2 out of 8 woman will sleep with you. Problem is, you have to ask the other 8

The Raiders beat the Bills because Dareaus went out and they couldn't stop the run and Gilmore went out and they couldn't stop the pass. The Raiders are a young , talented and improving team , who 2 weeks before the Bills game , beat the Chiefs.

The Bills came into the game vowing not to overlook the two-win Raiders. But Orton struggled after an early touchdown pass to Sammy Watkins, throwing an interception and posting five straight three-and-outs on Buffalo's next six possessions to put the Bills in a hole they never could overcome.

The Bills ran for just 13 yards despite the return of C.J. Spiller from a broken collarbone. That was their worst rushing performance since gaining 4 yards against Tennessee on Nov. 23, 1997.

That is where Buffalo lost the game ... they only gave up about 320 total yards to the Raiders. Do you watch these games? And no that isn't a racist question.

The Bills came into the game vowing not to overlook the two-win Raiders. But Orton struggled after an early touchdown pass to Sammy Watkins, throwing an interception and posting five straight three-and-outs on Buffalo's next six possessions to put the Bills in a hole they never could overcome.

The Bills ran for just 13 yards despite the return of C.J. Spiller from a broken collarbone. That was their worst rushing performance since gaining 4 yards against Tennessee on Nov. 23, 1997.

That is where Buffalo lost the game ... they only gave up about 320 total yards to the Raiders. Do you watch these games? And no that isn't a racist question.
I watch the game ,they could not stuff Murray and the mismatch at corner cost them the game on 3rd and 20 in the 4th. In their last 3 home games they beat the Chiefs , the 49ers and the Bills.

Kyle Orton's QB rating this year was better than Andrew Luck's 2013 season

I'm sure the eyeball test crowd will say that it's all because of a bad formula and never question their wrong opinion that Orton is the worst and that he's to blame for the bills offense.

The eyeball test crowd would say you're posts in this thread kinda feel like this.

This post is ridiculous.

They're interviewing as many candidates as they can. Oh no!

Yep, should have just narrowed it down to two in-house candidates and flipped a coin.

Unnamed Source seems to be all over the place on this issue.
hes a great person of interest.

looks like people are trying to keep pace with mehta.

there are 31 great football jobs in the NFL, probably another 20 or so in college...then probably another 35 in college...then there is the jets job.

i see them at 21st in their rankings but close enough.

those rankings are using expected points, i think. i think we all agree that it's odd that they scored less than they did based on their output. nassib's three game stretch against Minn, Pitt and Rut threw it off.

So Nassib's performance over the course of about a quarter of the season threw off the stats.

One game is one thing, but I'd say that is a material amount of time.

rrlbees said:
It was discussed some here when it happened so I'm not breaking new news. Many will remember what precipitated it. It was a Uconn game that Rob Long was struggling in big time (didn't know about brain tumor at the time). Casullo went ballistic on him a couple of times on the sidelines in full view for everyone to see. It wasn't your normal butt chewing. It was embarrassing. Marrone didn't like the act and made it clear to him after the game in the locker room. Needless to say, things escalated from there. I'll leave it at that as there is more, but no I never heard about it getting physical. But it got bad. That was the end.

There was also another non parent who was told to stop posting, and he hasn't been heard from very much since...and it's not Stan.

There was also another non parent who was told to stop posting, and he hasn't been heard from very much since...and it's not Stan.
From nj perhaps?

So Nassib's performance over the course of about a quarter of the season threw off the stats.

One game is one thing, but I'd say that is a material amount of time.
he threw 350-400 vs Rutgers but didn't score much (ints maybe fumbles)

Some bad punts, a weird game against Rutgers, bad place kicking, bad fg decisions probably

Nassib had a rough game vs cinch too where they had a lot of yards and not many points

Don't remember stony brook either. 500 some yards only 28 pts we should've been explosive enough to score on them, I doubt it was athleticism that kept that game close

This post is ridiculous.

They're interviewing as many candidates as they can. Oh no!

Yep, should have just narrowed it down to two in-house candidates and flipped a coin.
14 and counting.

Where did you go to college?

"Play to win the game, especially if the chumps lined up on the other side of the field are 2-12 and you are fighting for a playoff spot. You play to win that game especially!" ... Thanks Herm!
"Did you really post that? I told you, 'Don't press send!'" - Herm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom