Marrone | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone

Marrone wouldn't have left the Bills unless he (and his agent) were absolutely certain that he had another one lined up. If that's not the case then he screwed up. And it's also proof that those national reporters were either lying or naive when talking about him being in the "front of the line" among the current coaching candidates.

Agreed. You don't give up a head coaching job to go be a consultant for the freaking Houston Texans. Although I bet Marrone is glad now that he didn't go and poach any of O'Brien's players from him at PSU. Might've cost him future employment. Slimeball.

Marrone wouldn't have left the Bills unless he (and his agent) were absolutely certain that he had another one lined up. If that's not the case then he screwed up. And it's also proof that those national reporters were either lying or naive when talking about him being in the "front of the line" among the current coaching candidates.
He was a lame duck. The new ownership would not commit to him beyond the last year of his contract. Doug is a huge winner her. He is a free agent with a chance for a better job….if he gets no head job, he gets 4 million…for no work. I would love to get a year's salary for no work for an entire year….while I look for a new job…Wouldn't you?

He was a lame duck. The new ownership would not commit to him beyond the last year of his contract. Doug is a huge winner her. He is a free agent with a chance for a better job….if he gets no head job, he gets 4 million…for no work. I would love to get a year's salary for no work for an entire year….while I look for a new job…Wouldn't you?
Eh, if he doesn't get an NFL HC job, he may have screwed himself. He was supposed to be the "sexy" coach on the market after he opted out of Buffalo. This was a power play for him that he better hope works out.

Eh, if he doesn't get an NFL HC job, he may have screwed himself. He was supposed to be the "s e xy" coach on the market after he opted out of Buffalo. This was a power play for him that he better hope works out.
Always better to leave on your own terms…than someone else's. Even with no Head coach job…he has 4 million and time to plot his next move…as opposed to working all next year, then getting canned! When he interviews now, he can say…I left a great job…because……. as opposed to explaining a negative….

Always better to leave on your own terms…than someone else's. Even with no Head coach job…he has 4 million and time to plot his next move…as opposed to working all next year, then getting canned! When he interviews now, he can say…I left a great job…because……. as opposed to explaining a negative….
I agree with that, if that's how it was gonna go down. Sounds like Pegula offered quite a bit of money in the extension though. Read a story earlier that if DM doesn't get a job he could sign on with Houston as a consultant, basically a life line from his boy O'Brien.

What I find fascinating is the behind the scenes maneuvering by coaching candidates (representatives) during all of these openings. "Leaks" of who has interviewed well, who beat their wives, who has relationships with who, bugs in the ears of reporters. Agents are earning their money this cycle pimping their clients.

orangenirvana said:
I bet he had a wink wink understanding with ny until Johnson changed his mind because of the nasty media. Which is comical because Marrone kept changing his mind while thinking gentle media was nasty

Dr. Bill said:
The last year of his contract wasn't until 2016!

That's not lame duck

I bet he had a wink wink understanding with ny until Johnson changed his mind because of the nasty media. Which is comical because Marrone kept changing his mind while thinking gentle media was nasty
He didn't leave because of the Buffalo media. While he doesn't like the media, he knows the reality of it and it will be there in any job he takes.

The last year of his contract wasn't until 2016!

That's not lame duck
and it's not like college where extensions are more important because of recruiting implications

Marrone is a control freak. Control freaks don't like uncertainty. With the Pagula's, and Whaley there was too much uncertainty. With the $4M opt-out, he could remove the uncertainty and gain $4M.

If Woody Johnson was spooked by one reporter ... well thank you Lord I am not a Jets fan.

Also, Doug may have a lot of friends in the league, but sitting out a year with the way he left will make it harder for that second chance. Owners are going to see someone who left a gig without much concern for the organization who broke his cherry, regardless of the situation.

He will be a HC again, but he may have miss-read the tea leaves here.

He didn't leave because of the Buffalo media. While he doesn't like the media, he knows the reality of it and it will be there in any job he takes.

What's ironic about that is that the smear campaign was motivated because he had a positive relationship with a bunch of people in the NY media.

Every coach is a lame duck. Every coach has to prove himself or he will be let go. If Marrone wanted more of a commitment or more power then he should have done a better job.

He will be a HC again, but he may have miss-read the tea leaves here.
If he doesn't get a head coaching job now then there's no guarantee he will get one later. He'll have to work his way up the ladder again.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reporting this morning that if Doug doesn't land a head coaching job he will take a job as an assistant in Houston with his friend Bill O'Brien

That's crazy. How many people in this thread said he wouldn't opt out of a job unless he knew he already had another one?

Someone just wanted his $4M. I don't blame him for it, but I wish he (and his friends) would just admit it.

Wonder if O'Brien will bring in other consultants, like Hackett and Moore and Luther. The guys who don't have a job because someone took his $4M and ran.

I trust that Mort and Schefter have a lot more NFL sources than the NYDN. Once again, I am baffled that Syracuse fans won't support someone who left, since their success (like pro players) brings more national exposure to the programs than a sign in Yankee Stadium or some NYC taxi cab ads.

That's crazy. How many people in this thread said he wouldn't opt out of a job unless he knew he already had another one?

Someone just wanted his $4M. I don't blame him for it, but I wish he (and his friends) would just admit it.

Wonder if O'Brien will bring in other consultants, like Hackett and Moore and Luther. The guys who don't have a job because someone took his $4M and ran.

I don't know about all of the SU people who left, but Luther got a huge raise to make the move. If SU were smart, they'd try and bring him back.

GoSU96 said:
What's ironic about that is that the smear campaign was motivated because he had a positive relationship with a bunch of people in the NY media. .

I'm finding it hard to believe an owner isn't going to do his own due diligence and instead listen to a newspaper writer. Good thing SU didn't listen to the PS a couple decades ago.

How is missing out on a job going to prevent Marrone from future HC consideration? Did I miss something because I thought I saw former HC's Hue Jackson, Jack Del Rio, Tony Sparano, and Jim Schwartz being interviewed this round?

I trust that Mort and Schefter have a lot more NFL sources than the NYDN. Once again, I am baffled that Syracuse fans won't support someone who left, since their success (like pro players) brings more national exposure to the programs than a sign in Yankee Stadium or some NYC taxi cab ads.
Mort and Shefter were doing nothing but singing Marrone's praises. They were either duped by Marrone's agent or lying intentionally for their own gain (I think Shefter and Marrone have the same agent).

Every coach is a lame duck. Every coach has to prove himself or he will be let go. If Marrone wanted more of a commitment or more power then he should have done a better job.
I think you might be allowing a dislike for Marrone to cloud your opinion on this. What he and his agent did was pure genius from a negotiating standpoint. I disagree with your statement that all coaches are lame ducks…..all coaches can be fired, but if you still have years left on your contract, you get paid. Other coaches will now try to get this kind of language in their contracts…I think it will be called a "Marrone Clause"!

How is missing out on a job going to prevent Marrone from future HC consideration? Did I miss something because I thought I saw former HC's Hue Jackson, Jack Del Rio, Tony Sparano, and Jim Schwartz being interviewed this round?

Who did Schwartz interview with for a HC position this year?

I'm finding it hard to believe an owner isn't going to do his own due diligence and instead listen to a newspaper writer. Good thing SU didn't listen to the PS a couple decades ago.
You mean when we could have had Tom Penders for BBall?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom