Marrone's tenure here... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's tenure here...

Except he was wrong.

Really - stop being bitter...

That is patently false. Some of the SU guys he took, such as Hackett, weren't even his first choices. So how did he already know who he was taking and told TGD and Shafer? He didn't. In fact, he didn't plan to take many at all and told SU as much.

Not so and don't be so dramatic - please spare me.

Hackett was given the opportunity to get the HC job along with Shaffer as both wanted the job. Gross selected Shaffer, Marrone then selected Hackett as Hackett and Marrone were joined at the hip. Anyway the Bills already knew all about Hackett and were perfectly fine with the hire as long as Marrone played the strategist for the Bills.

Believe what you will - but he told Shaffer/Gross exactly who he was taking but SU released that info piecemeal as Marrone did his due diligence on each position but right from the get go let it known who he was interviewing/taking.

You seem to forget - Marrone is extremely loyal inside the coaching fraternity to those that made him successful and have the same philosophy as him. He interviewed multiple people for the Bills OC but waited until Gross selected the HC. Believe what you will but I know what went down.

You seem to forget - Marrone is extremely loyal inside the coaching fraternity to those that made him successful and have the same philosophy as him. He interviewed multiple people for the Bills OC but waited until Gross selected the HC. Believe what you will but I know what went down.

Stop. Seriously. I think we all know where you stand, and where Bees/Omni/Cuseregular stand...and you repeating that you know what you know is annoying as hell. We got it. Now .

Thank you.

Really - stop being bitter...

Not so and don't be so dramatic - please spare me.

Hackett was given the opportunity to get the HC job along with Shaffer as both wanted the job. Gross selected Shaffer, Marrone then selected Hackett as Hackett and Marrone were joined at the hip. Anyway the Bills already knew all about Hackett and were perfectly fine with the hire as long as Marrone played the strategist for the Bills.

Believe what you will - but he told Shaffer/Gross exactly who he was taking but SU released that info piecemeal as Marrone did his due diligence on each position but right from the get go let it known who he was interviewing/taking.

Not bitter at all. Just correct. Marrone did not tell SU nor did he tell Shafer exactly all the coaches he was taking. You then blame SU for the communications not being put out who was leaving. Must be the Bills were in on the conspiracy too. They didn't announce them all at once either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop. Seriously. I think we all know where you stand, and where Bees/Omni/Cuseregular stand...and you repeating that you know what you know is annoying as hell. We got it. Now .

Thank you.

Really? Get a life. Don't like it don't read it. Plus I have every right to defend myself so to you Bro.

i 'love' people who cant read or interpret things...and then make things up to in an effort to make some kind of point.

go research the 3rd down success rate from the 1948 season and get back to us with something substantial for your next post.

root for failure......:crazy:

Oh Lord

It is exactly what you said.

You would think with all those binders he would know what he was getting into and what the job entailed, off the field. He hated kissing ass of the donors, hated kissing ass of the board, hated kissing ass of the public and hated kissing ass of recruits. He wasn't very good at any of those things.
Ed
EXACTLY! He thought everyone should kiss his ass

Pertaining to this thread...

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

You would think with all those binders he would know what he was getting into and what the job entailed, off the field. He hated kissing ass of the donors, hated kissing ass of the board, hated kissing ass of the public and hated kissing ass of recruits. He wasn't very good at any of those things.
This is not uncommon in college coaching. Many other big name coaches experienced the same and bolted. This is what did in Ben Howland at UCLA.

Speaking of Mizzou, have you seen them play this season? They're doing pretty well. That's pretty much the same team Syracuse faced in their house at night last season and beat.

Syracuse also crushed a Louisville team that beat Top 5 Florida in the Sugar Bowl and curb-stomped WVU.

In other words, by the end of December 2012 there weren't more than 15 teams in the nation who were better than Syracuse.

SU is a decent QB and a few good receivers away from being just as good as last year. Things can turn pretty quickly if you have the right players in key positions.

This thread is fascinating. An all timer. I have nothing more to add, just wanted to say it. I'm just catching up to most of it tonight.

He saids, she saids, behind the scenes info, zingers, Rob Ryan faces.

Take a bow everyone. Seriously.

This thread is fascinating. An all timer. I have nothing more to add, just wanted to say it. I'm just catching up to most of it tonight.

0-56 going into the bye week will do that, I guess.

It's like reading a thrilling novel with all sorts of twists and turns, I have enjoyed every page... how will it end?!?!

Sounds like one potential donor didn't feel they were stroked enough. Maybe that's their problem.
Right, that's one way to look at it.

Another way is, it's the University's problem, since, you know, that donor wasn't stroked enough and they probably could have used more of the donor's support.

But whatever - MARRONE IS A GOD, PEOPLE.

I didn't get to this thread until tonight but I'm so glad I followed it all the way through. Don't think I've ever seen this many long time posters with thousands of posts and thousands of likes getting so frustrated with each other. A truly epic pissing contest!

I didn't get to this thread until tonight but I'm so glad I followed it all the way through. Don't think I've ever seen this many long time posters with thousands of posts and thousands of likes getting so frustrated with each other. A truly epic pissing contest!
It's definitely one of the better topics. I'm just speculating, but I would bet that the truth lies somewhere in between 'Bees and Chakka's sides... I have no inside knowledge and don't know anybody, I'm actually a hermit, but I surmise...

Marrone loved the idea of the job of being an NCAA coach, but once reality set in, he became frustrated with the process and realized people are much more fickle today. His dream changed dramatically over 24 months and he realized it wasn't what was going to make him happy, so he started thinking about returning to the NFL. Fast forward... the Bills make an offer and Doug accepts it because he's over the college scene. We've all taken a job and jumped in excited only to have it sour on us at some point or another. When Doug leaves, he lets Gross know that he'd like to take Hackett with him, but doesn't want to do so if Hackett will be Gross's choice for HC. Gross chooses Shafer and so Doug offers Hackett the OC gig.

This is where I think Chakka's story blurs into 'Bees... Stories start "leaking" out that Doug left because he didn't like kissing asses, etc., school wasn't going to build an IPF so he threw a fit... you get it. We all know that Doug was likely the largest lurker on the web and read everything that was ever posted about him etc. I think Doug initially had a wishy-washy feel from his first choice position coaches and said f'ck it. They're dragging my name out there and leaking info that has some truth, piss on them... he then poached any and everybody that would come, except Rob Moore. Daoust chose to stay with Shafer and he having a previous coaching relationship, thus the AHC title. Shafer then scrambled to put together a staff and here we are.

As I said, I think both were probably right, but think they have the ultimate authority in connections, so can't put their mooseballs away. I'm happy Marrone left when he did and with the program in the shape it was. Had he stuck it out any longer, the whole situation would have soured very rapidly and the program would have deteriorated because of the disdain he had for the job. It is what it is. I wish nothing but good luck for Marrone going forward.. Marrone's success from here on out just helps 'Cuse because he'll have the wherewithal to donate back if he chooses. He's one of ours and we should be happy and proud for him. We also should move on. We have a new coach and hopefully he can turn this thing around again in the second half.

Cheers!

2179605262_f1dce13e0b_o.jpg

Sounds like one potential donor didn't feel they were stroked enough. Maybe that's their problem.
Go the simple truth is that Doug wasn't a nice guy and wasn't well liked. That is simple fact. He's Avery good coach not such a nice guy.

Go the simple truth is that Doug wasn't a nice guy and wasn't well liked. That is simple fact. He's Avery good coach not such a nice guy.
How the hell would you or anyone else know.. I'm a very good Finance/Accounting guy... most people would say I'm very confident yet easy to talk to... I myself think I'm an at heart, but I know how to get the best out of people and to achieve a goal. Get me frustrated and my true form comes out...

Every single press conference I've seen and every time I've heard him speak, I truthfully have come away with a very different opinion of Doug. I think he was a very nice guy. The battle he was facing when he arrived, he wasn't fully prepared for. He was met with a lot of criticism over 4 years, from myself included. In hindsight, I can say I wish I would have appreciated him more during his time at SU. But to say he wasn't a nice guy is just conjecture. Case in point... what kind of not nice guy cries at a press conference over the passing of Rob Edson after winning a big game. The guy always was real. Some people, like myself, prefer real over dealing with people like myself.

I have no idea if that's true or not. And if it is, what difference does it make.

As long as he did his job and behaved ethically that's enough. And what do you mean not a nice guy? Seems like he was loyal to his staff, did anyone leave for another job on their own, the players thought very highly of him, seems to be very well respected in the industry, Dave Rahme thinks very highly of him, and Dave's a nice guy. From what I could tell in the Monday lunches he could be very open and friendly, he could be ly and thin skinned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom