Marsh, saw your baby picture last night | Syracusefan.com

Marsh, saw your baby picture last night

No Hoyas

2nd String
pabstblueribbon.png

my dad used to let me have one sip of beer a night, which I remember fondly and think of as mostly harmless but which would probably get Child & Family Services called in if it happened today.

On the other hand, looking back now, I also realize that he was a functioning alcoholic who drank 6 to 9 cans every night. My sister, who also got a sip every night, is now an alcoholic herself; mostly functioning but occasionally (and spectacularly) not. So maybe it wasn't so harmless.

my dad used to let me have one sip of beer a night, which I remember fondly and think of as mostly harmless but which would probably get Child & Family Services called in if it happened today.

On the other hand, looking back now, I also realize that he was a functioning alcoholic who drank 6 to 9 cans every night. My sister, who also got a sip every night, is now an alcoholic herself; mostly functioning but occasionally (and spectacularly) not. So maybe it wasn't so harmless.
Sorry to hear about that moqui. I hope she recovers fully one day.

Things that make you wonder. My mother had/has alcohol abuse problems as did her brother and father (RIP both due to drinking) but has another brother and sister that are 100% fine. I'm curious if there is some genetic disposition that makes folks gravitate to drinking more once they've had a taste similar to what is an epidemic in the Native American population or if that is just a baseless theory. FWIW I, and my sister are both fine and don't struggle with it.

From someone who has dealt with/deals with it first hand, I'm very sorry to hear about both your father's and sister's struggles.

Hey Marsh - how do you feel about stealing glasses from drinking establishments? Because this is what Buffalo Wild Wings is currently serving PBR in for $3:

View attachment 3789
Not sure about Marsh but, I have a collection of close to 300 glasses, but no PBR. It has been a long while since I have obtained a new one, sounds like I need to head to BWW.

From someone who has dealt with/deals with it first hand, I'm very sorry to hear about both your father's and sister's struggles.
in my father's case, I wouldn't even call it a struggle. He was very functional, and no different from his brothers or any of the other dads in our town. It's just the way things were in those days. I recognize it now as unhealthy behavior, but he certainly wouldn't have called himself an alcoholic, nor would probably anyone he knew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom