Maryland: Durkin Fired | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland: Durkin Fired

The sports Gods put quite a curse on the B1G selections of Maryland and Rutgers.

What cable subscriber price can you put on completely embarrassing a once proud league at every turn?

Of course, it's the league of Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan State, so maybe they fit in better than I'm thinking.

Lot of bad PR for a lot of B10 teams the last few years.

I think it would be the coolest thing ever if the team just refused to come out of the tunnel on gameday out of solidarity for what is right. I would consider all those kids heroes if they did that.

Years from now, no one is going to remember or care who won the Maryland vs. Michigan State game. What people will remember are student-athletes refusing to play to protest being abused.

Last edited:
I think it would be the coolest thing ever if the team just refused to come out of the tunnel on gameday out of solidarity for what is right. I would consider all those kids heroes if they did that.

I would love to see that happen. This is just beyond my comprehension.

Even if you think he can rehabilitate himself, it shouldn't be at Maryland.

What is the status of scholarships under the current NCAA regs? If players refuse to perform in protest, can the school rescind their scholarships?
Under current NCAA rules, scholarships are for 1 year and renewable at the option of the school. they most certainly can revoke the scholarship of any player for any reason. The Fall 18 Semester is paid for, so the administration can't do anything aboout that. They can, however, rescind scholarships and make everyone pay starting in the Spring 19 Semester.

True... but the firestorm that would ignite would dwarf the current one. Not sure anyone in the athletic dept or the board could survive that. Political pressure would ensure that.

Under current NCAA rules, scholarships are for 1 year and renewable at the option of the school. they most certainly can revoke the scholarship of any player for any reason. The Fall 18 Semester is paid for, so the administration can't do anything aboout that. They can, however, rescind scholarships and make everyone pay starting in the Spring 19 Semester.
No. P5 come with a guarantee. However, they can be rescinded for a violation of team rules.

A boycott would be a likely violation. However, poor performance is not. If they put on the worst performance in the history of sports? Right on. I'm talking 100+ point beatdown. That's the stuff that gets coaches fired. I guess killing kids is all right.

Be great to see the opposing coach having the kids backs, and start taking a knee, after scoring g however many TDs he wanted. I'd give every play a standing ovation.

Last edited:
How come on their board you can view some posts but not others? Is there board a pay one?

How come on their board you can view some posts but not others? Is there board a pay one?
Combination. The "VIP"posts are pay posts that only other paysite members can see. The others are freebies. The reason I don't bother with their UVA site is that virtually all of them are pay-to-view and you have to pay to post.

The sports Gods put quite a curse on the B1G selections of Maryland and Rutgers.

What cable subscriber price can you put on completely embarrassing a once proud league at every turn?

Of course, it's the league of Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan State, so maybe they fit in better than I'm thinking.
That is a low key vicious post, and it is excellent.

If I am UM's counsel*, I am denying any payments to Durkin. He has been terminated for cause. The team lost faith, the fans lost faith, the administration lost faith in his good judgment (did he have good judgment to begin with?). Regardless, his excessive demands in practice killed a kid, regardless of whether he was personally there at the moment or not. As the HC, he is to blame for all things under his watch.

Let it go to court. Does anyone think that a Maryland Jury will have any sympathy for this guy?

*I am NOT a Maryland attorney and I am NOT offering legal advice. This is an opinion, nothing more.

Am I correct in understanding that MD fired Durkin, Loh reinstated him and then fired him the next day? The part I guess I missed was the initial firing.

Dq32ZPBXcAEYdP0.jpg

If I am UM's counsel*, I am denying any payments to Durkin. He has been terminated for cause. The team lost faith, the fans lost faith, the administration lost faith in his good judgment (did he have good judgment to begin with?). Regardless, his excessive demands in practice killed a kid, regardless of whether he was personally there at the moment or not. As the HC, he is to blame for all things under his watch.

Let it go to court. Does anyone think that a Maryland Jury will have any sympathy for this guy?

*I am NOT a Maryland attorney and I am NOT offering legal advice. This is an opinion, nothing more

I'd like to think they reinstated him to bolster their legal case. I highly doubt it.

Gotta love Pete!!

2. Dino Babers, Syracuse – Maryland fans recall the 48-27 shellacking that Babers put on them while at Bowling Green. Babers getting Syracuse into the national rankings for the first time in 17 years thrusts him into the conversation. His offense would give Maryland a much-needed identity. The success he’s had recruiting that area at Syracuse shouldn’t be overlooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom