Maryland Fans turning into WVU Fans | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Fans turning into WVU Fans

So the guy who for the last few years had declared that the B1G had zero interest in Rutgers and that the mighty Terrapin Club would never allow Maryland to leave the ACC, is still acting like an authority on the subject.

For the record, what is you stance on UVA?

Our lone Rutgers fans resurfaces. The big question is "Why do you care?".

It's no longer necessary to try and pump up your own school's standing by trying to hitchhike on SU's tradition by suggesting the two schools are rivals of any sort.

Where I went wrong on Maryland was that I didn't realize just how desperate the Maryland administration was. Every other factor other than money lobbied for Maryland to stay in the ACC. They sold their soul and it took a while, but that's starting to sink in just what they did and why they did it. And the Terrapin Club is not happy.

The B1G found the two programs with lots of local cable boxes that were in distress. They didn't care about the schools or the teams. They were like a developer that is just interested in the land and not the buildings on the land.

UVA is not in the same kind of fiscal bind that Maryland was in. Or the same kind of fiscal and conference bind that Rutgers was in. This was a case of the wolf picking on the halt and the lame and the blind. UVA is healthy.

Rutgers was chosen by the B1G only because the school sits among a lot of cable subscribers. That's it. It certainly wasn't for athletic excellence. The school had been passed over multiple times when the conferences were looking for schools that their membership would actually like to be associated with. They became a candidate when the subject switched to cable customers in the local area. RU athletics was bleeding $25M a year from the students and taxpayers while fielding an array of failing a teams from basketball to lacrosse.

So from one of the tweets that started all this comes this today:

RE: UNC/B10 rumor
Jeff Ermann @insidemdsports 4h

Seems to be some confusion. So it's clear, I've reported nothing to the effect that UNC is Big 10-bound; just that Big 10 wants the Heels...

The Big Ten's success in attracting Maryland was solely due to the hopeless financial situation Maryland was in.

If UNC athletics are operating in the black or are not a big financial problem there's little incentive for them to leave the ACC.

The Big Ten's success in attracting Maryland was solely due to the hopeless financial situation Maryland was in.

If UNC athletics are operating in the black or are not a big financial problem there's little incentive for them to leave the ACC.

Exactly. Same with UVA and everyone else.

Allegedly UNC has a standing offer from the Big 10 and is currently deciding on what to do. UVA people were at some meeting with UNC over the weekend.

It's no longer necessary to try and pump up your own school's standing by trying to hitchhike on SU's tradition by suggesting the two schools are of any sort.

Where I went wrong on Maryland was that I didn't realize just how desperate the Maryland administration was. Every other factor other than money lobbied for Maryland to stay in the ACC. They sold their soul and it took a while, but that's starting to sink in just what they did and why they did it. And the Terrapin Club is not happy.

The B1G found the two programs with lots of local cable boxes that were in distress. They didn't care about the schools or the teams. They were like a developer that is just interested in the land and not the buildings on the land.

UVA is not in the same kind of fiscal bind that Maryland was in. Or the same kind of fiscal and conference bind that Rutgers was in. This was a case of the wolf picking on the halt and the lame and the blind. UVA is healthy.

Rutgers was chosen by the B1G only because the school sits among a lot of cable subscribers. That's it. It certainly wasn't for athletic excellence. The school had been passed over multiple times when the conferences were looking for schools that their membership would actually like to be associated with. They became a candidate when the subject switched to cable customers in the local area. RU athletics was bleeding $25M a year from the students and taxpayers while fielding an array of failing a teams from basketball to lacrosse.

You could have just said you were wrong about Maryland and Rutgers. I believe you will be wrong about UVA, too. Time will tell.

You could have just said you were wrong about Maryland and Rutgers. I believe you will be wrong about UVA, too. Time will tell.

UVA and UNC are not the distressed properties with highly-motivated sellers that Maryland and Rutgers were.

UVA and UNC are not the distressed properties with highly-motivated sellers that Maryland and Rutgers were.

I would agree. But I would imagine that they still like greater money and greater stability. As did BC, Miami, VaTech, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M, TCU, Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland and Rutgers.

It's no longer necessary to try and pump up your own school's standing by trying to hitchhike on SU's tradition by suggesting the two schools are of any sort.

You are correct, with one caveat. The Big Ten still wants to force ND to join, and it still wants into the South, meaning south of DC. It took hapless Rutgers and broke and incompetent UMD to strike at ND (NYC is the most important ND subway alum TV market, and DC is also important for that) and to set up trying to add UVA and UNC. If that pair were to go Big Ten, then the ACC would wobble. If the Big Ten were willing to add Dook and BC as part of going to 20, it might then get ND.

But I don't see UVA or UNC taking the whore's offer from the biggest pimp.

Not so sure about that. That part of Maryland looks like WV to me. But then I do live in the close in DC suburbs.

I was in Hagerstown a few months ago for a lunch at a German place downtown. The town looked depressed. Lots of signs of unemployment and little economic growth. Plenty of government housing. It certainly wasn't Bethesda.

I'll stick with my observation. That part of Maryland seem indistinguishable from Charles Town, WV.

Ha! As I thought, you have no real idea. Charles Town is far and away different from most other parts of WV. You must head over there for the gambling. Try turning left at 81 and head south down to Inwood, WV or even worse, further west.

As for downtown Hagerstown being depressed, I agree, the outlying cities have been harder hit by the Recession, but revitalization has been going on, and in that respect, it isn't much different from many cities downtown's, Syracuse included.

It is laughable to compare almost anything to Bethesda, one of the highest median income cities in the entire country. (#5 on at least one list)

I won't bother to try to convince you that a rural location is a great place to live, as you are obviously a city oriented person. As you likely could never live in my area, I detest the area you live in. (I worked in Gaithersburg for over 20 years, so I know the area very well.)

Being WV does not just mean living in a rural area. It is more a state of mind (and body) do more research before you throw stones.

I do agree the UMD fans are poor fans. The support in central and western maryland is disappearing as mediocrity rules. Baltimore has always been a pro town, so UMD support in recent years has been confined to the DC burbs. Ped St. & WVU have about as much interest as people move from those states to MD for jobs. VT also has some support, to a lesser degree.

Jeff Ermann@insidemdsports
Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.

He's not making things up so it's different from the WVU people. UNC has had a standing offer to join from the B1G and, if some people are to be believed, the SEC as well. They've turned them down. And there are good reasons to do so. The ACC is still their conference and they get to play the bulk of their games against schools in their area and of similar academic standing. Not easy to give that up. And Ermann is right: if UNC stays, then UVA will stay.

There is nothing new about what he's saying except that people jump all over it because of a perception, at this point mistaken, that the ACC is on the verge of collapse. Texas has a standing offer from the PAC-12 and the B1g, why aren't people talking about that anymore? Because of the Longhorn Network and the grant of rights. Once we get some announcement on an ACC grant of rights and a digital network, then a lot of this talk will go away. The moment that ND joins, then it will all go away.

Well, if the Post thought there was a lot of VT support in DC, there would be a lot more articles about VT. This sin't about teams being "newsworthy". This is about what the audience is predisposed to want to read about.

Here's the secret. They aren't leading the duck as far as coverage goes. They are pandering to the interest they feel is out there and the research they do. Listen to DC sport talk radio ... it's all about the Redskins twelve months a year. That's because that's where the interest is.

Look at what they are doing with baseball. They are pumping up the Nats ... but they know there is still a lot of Orioles interest here. So look at the coverage. Lots on the Nats, but some on the Orioles (actually they have increased their Orioles coverage).

They will cover other teams even if there isn't a lot of local interest. Georgetown is an example of that. GU has almost no local fans ... but the Post covers GU sports for some non-rational reasons.

There are plenty of VT fans in the DC market, probably more than any other school. However, they are more interested in playing video games than reading The Washington Post.

He's not making things up so it's different from the WVU people. UNC has had a standing offer to join from the B1G and, if some people are to be believed, the SEC as well. They've turned them down. And there are good reasons to do so. The ACC is still their conference and they get to play the bulk of their games against schools in their area and of similar academic standing. Not easy to give that up. And Ermann is right: if UNC stays, then UVA will stay.

There is nothing new about what he's saying except that people jump all over it because of a perception, at this point mistaken, that the ACC is on the verge of collapse. Texas has a standing offer from the PAC-12 and the B1g, why aren't people talking about that anymore? Because of the Longhorn Network and the grant of rights. Once we get some announcement on an ACC grant of rights and a digital network, then a lot of this talk will go away. The moment that ND joins, then it will all go away.

FSU and Clemson are the lynch pins. If they leave for the SEC or Big12, then I think UNC can be poached. If UNC goes, then UVA and Ga Tech will go as well.

The ACC will basically be the Big East plus Duke, Wake & NC State.

FSU and Clemson are the lynch pins. If they leave for the SEC or Big12, then I think UNC can be poached. If UNC goes, then UVA and Ga Tech will go as well.

Why? They make piles of money, play their neighbors, and run the ACC. There's no kinship with FSU. They would be happy is FSU left (and if we never made it - but at least we hoop).

I love these scenarios where one school is a linch pin and they are headed out the door. However, not one credible source from the linch pin school can be cited.

Yes, any scenario can work under a defined set of circumstances but what really happens is far different than what is prognositcated, especially by outsiders who are desiring a specific outcome.

Lots of "IFS" must occur. To date, by all accounts, UNC, UVA, GATech, CLemson, FSU, VT, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Wake, Duke, Louisville, ND and NCState are not going anywhere. Real news will be if any decide to leave. Contact by the B1G or SEC or Big 12 are interesting, but they do not equal the destruction of the ACC.

FSU is not going anywhere. They had the opportunity to leave for the B12 and said no. Neither FSU or Clemson are in the SEC's plans and the SEC wouldn't take them to force UNC's hand because they know that Carolina would rather leave for the B1G than for the SEC. How would that help the SEC?

We have the exact same situation in the ACC as we did in the B12 a couple of years ago. Just switch out Texas for UNC. As long as UNC wants to be here and be the top dog on the block, the ACC will not experience serious movement in membership.

Why? They make piles of money, play their neighbors, and run the ACC. There's no kinship with FSU. They would be happy is FSU left (and if we never made it - but at least we hoop).

Because the perception would be that the ACC isn't a big boy football conference without Clemson and FSU.

Would UNC want to stay in a crippled football conference???

The ACC has changed so much recently, there isn't as much tradition holding them.

FSU is not going anywhere. They had the opportunity to leave for the B12 and said no. Neither FSU or Clemson are in the SEC's plans and the SEC wouldn't take them to force UNC's hand because they know that Carolina would rather leave for the B1G than for the SEC. How would that help the SEC?

We have the exact same situation in the ACC as we did in the B12 a couple of years ago. Just switch out Texas for UNC. As long as UNC wants to be here and be the top dog on the block, the ACC will not experience serious movement in membership.

You are comparing UNC to Texax????

Really????

WOW.

So from one of the tweets that started all this comes this today:

RE: UNC/B10 rumor
Jeff Ermann @insidemdsports 4h

Seems to be some confusion. So it's clear, I've reported nothing to the effect that UNC is Big 10-bound; just that Big 10 wants the Heels...

That's what he said yesterday, don't know why people got confused and he had to clarify.

Because the perception would be that the ACC isn't a big boy football conference without Clemson and FSU.

The ACC has changed so much recently, there isn't as much tradition holding them.

FSU and Clemson have nowhere to go. The core schools minus Maryland are there. The 4 NC schools are there, UVa is there, heck,thy added a short roadie in VT...because of Pitt and Syracuse UNC is going to run into the loving arms or Purdue?

Have you ever spent time around Tar Heel alumni? The aren't running to Lansing. I am typing this in the Lansing airport, 18 degrees, gray, snow, industrial wasteland isn't their scene.

Nebraska football isn't as good in the Big 10, and now that the SEC has Missouri, maybe the SEC strikes back at the Big 10 for invading the south. Offering Nebraska and Penn State to get to 16 would be a Home Run for the SEC, and ACC. Penn State would nullify Rutgers and Maryland, Nebraska would fit well with Missouri, and Texas A@ M.

FSU and Clemson have nowhere to go. The core schools minus Maryland are there. The 4 NC schools are there, UVa is there, heck,thy added a short roadie in VT...because of Pitt and Syracuse UNC is going to run into the loving arms or Purdue?

Have you ever spent time around Tar Heel alumni? The aren't running to Lansing. I am typing this in the Lansing airport, 18 degrees, gray, snow, industrial wasteland isn't their scene.

How quickly fans forget that the ACC has been flirting with Syracuse since FSU was added. Both were targets and approved of but Syracuse was solidly in the Big East. Then these same fans forget that teh ACC wanted Miami, Syracuse and BC. VATech weaseled their way in in place of Syracuse.

FSU and Clemson have nowhere to go. .

I know we're in a never say never spot in college football. And I know I find myself saying this a lot. But I just can't see FSU and Clemson running to join a southwestern/midwestern league that Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri couldn't escape from fast enough.

It also seems strange to me that people think UVA and UNC are next as if it was part of some logical flow. First we need to lock down Maryland and Rutgers. Then we need to get UVA and UNC. It's like making sure you have the mailroom properly staffed before you hire your executive team. Leads me to think that if UVA and UNC wanted to be B1G members, they already would be.

Again, never say never... but certainly even less logic than the other moves.

I know we're in a never say never spot in college football. And I know I find myself saying this a lot. But I just can't see FSU and Clemson running to join a southwestern/midwestern league that Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri couldn't escape from fast enough.

It also seems strange to me that people think UVA and UNC are next as if it was part of some logical flow. First we need to lock down Maryland and Rutgers. Then we need to get UVA and UNC. It's like making sure you have the mailroom properly staffed before you hire your executive team. Leads me to think that if UVA and UNC wanted to be B1G members, they already would be.

Again, never say never... but certainly even less logic than the other moves.

You do realize that UVA and UNC have been wanting to join Rutgers for so long, they simply cannot refuse the opportunity. (sarcasm off)

Would UConn want to join "a crippled football conference"??? Of course not.

There's no way that UConn is interested in the ACC.
Stop wasting your time here and head somewhere else to talk B1G football.