McCords season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

McCords season

You make a good argument for McNabb as our best all-time QB but that’s not exactly the exercise. McNabb was a generation ago. Unless you lived through it, it’s history. Today’s students and many fans weren’t alive to see McNabb play, and that was an entirely different era. I’ve lived through a lot of different SU QB’s too, and think McCord may well be our best pure passer. He may well do great things as our QB and eclipse what other QB’s have done in orange, but that doesn’t diminish what they did in their era. I’m not sure a one year QB could ever have the impact of a multiple year McNabb, but think it’s unlikely we’ll ever have a multiple year great QB again. Times change.
The claim in post #5 wasn't best pure passer. It was best QB in our lifetime. Most on this board were alive to see McNabb. McNabb in today's offenses would be Caleb Williams.

McCord has bench players from the 90s around him and making them look like all Americans.
I don't know that he's working with less with regards to pass catchers than McNabb. One WR from McNabb's senior year was drafted. Sure Konrad was too, but McNabb made a lot of guys look good, including his offensive line.

It's still wild to me that we had a passer that was that good, with multiple future NFL guys at WR and TE to throw to, and we were like "we're gonna hand the ball off a bunch to Malcom Thomas and Kyle McIntosh."

And don't get me wrong, Malcolm Thomas and Kyle McIntosh were good players. But they weren't NFL guys.
I think some context is missing here. Only three recievers that played with McNabb were drafted in the NFL. Obviously we know Harrison was a HOFer but McNabb was only a freshman his one year with him. It took KJ until his junior year to hit his stride since he converted from QB. Jim Turner was taken in the 7th round. His special teams versatility gave him a shot as much or more than his recieving ability. Even though Roland Williams was a 4th rounder, that's when the NFL valued blocking TE's. He was a dependable guy but not really a recieving weapon. If you count Quinton Spotwood before he got hurt, McNabb had 3 elite level WRs in 4 years. That's not really that many.

I would argue the Graves had more pass catchers around him throughout his career given that he had Rob Carpenter for a year, Qadry Ismail for 3 years (really only 2 at WR), Chris Gedney for 3 years, and Marvin Harrison for a year.

I think some context is missing here. Only three recievers that played with McNabb were drafted in the NFL. Obviously we know Harrison was a HOFer but McNabb was only a freshman his one year with him. It took KJ until his junior year to hit his stride since he converted from QB. Jim Turner was taken in the 7th round. His special teams versatility gave him a shot as much or more than his recieving ability. Even though Roland Williams was a 4th rounder, that's when the NFL valued blocking TE's. He was a dependable guy but not really a recieving weapon. If you count Quinton Spotwood before he got hurt, McNabb had 3 elite level WRs in 4 years. That's not really that many.

I would argue the Graves had more pass catchers around him throughout his career given that he had Rob Carpenter for a year, Qadry Ismail for 3 years (really only 2 at WR), Chris Gedney for 3 years, and Marvin Harrison for a year.
Kaseem Sinceno also played in the NFL as a TE. I don't think Thomas or McIntosh ever made it beyond a practice squad.

I wasn't drawing a comparison to other eras of pass catchers, but if you want to make the case that we had good WRs and TEs and could have thrown to them more too, I'll concede the point.

if McCord goes top 3 in the NFL draft we can all agree he had one helluva season here.
right now would i rate him above Mcnabb , McPherson , Graves for best SU qb ever... no.
his sample size is too small. he's got a lot more to prove.
McCord has absolutely ZERO shot at being a Day 1 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. Most likely a mid- to late- Day 2 pick, but he still has work to do to land there. I'm not sure why everyone on this board thinks stats matter. Potential Day 1 picks won't change from here to the draft:
- Sanders
- Beck
- Ward
- Ewers
- Milroe

Nothing wrong with being a Day 2, or hell even Day 3 pick. But some on this message board need to put the pipe down.

I disagree, love mcnabb and nothing against him but I remember a ton of throws at peoples feet. his scrambling got him out of a lot of jambs. McCord is the best passer we have ever had here, he has a super high football iq and can read defenses better also.
If McNabb played in the era of RPO, his stats would be far different.

McCord has absolutely ZERO shot at being a Day 1 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. Most likely a mid- to late- Day 2 pick, but he still has work to do to land there. I'm not sure why everyone on this board thinks stats matter. Potential Day 1 picks won't change from here to the draft:
- Sanders
- Beck
- Ward
- Ewers
- Milroe

Nothing wrong with being a Day 2, or hell even Day 3 pick. But some on this message board need to put the pipe down.
If he was at OSU dropping 4K yards I’m sure he’s looked at as a fringe day 1 pick. Sanders is there because of his name, while everyone else is on a top 10 team.

- Sanders
- Beck
- Ward
- Ewers
- Milroe

I think McCord will impress the heck out of the intelligent front offices who want someone similar to Mac Jones. McCord will be a darling when he does interviews with front offices. Does it get him into the first round, who knows. I never thought McCarthy was a first rounder and he caught lightening.

I think jury is out on McCord NFL wise. We can all agree he's getting drafted

If he was at OSU dropping 4K yards I’m sure he’s looked at as a fringe day 1 pick. Sanders is there because of his name, while everyone else is on a top 10 team.
No sir. Not sure what planet you live on, but the NFL could give a rats ass about stats. He already played at OSU and NFL Scouts are very aware of his talent levels. Sanders is not there based on his name. He has very impressive talents, but will need ALOT of coaching at the next level (high ceiling/low floor).

I think McCord will impress the heck out of the intelligent front offices who want someone similar to Mac Jones. McCord will be a darling when he does interviews with front offices. Does it get him into the first round, who knows. I never thought McCarthy was a first rounder and he caught lightening.

I think jury is out on McCord NFL wise. We can all agree he's getting drafted
I don't like Kiper, but he has a pretty decent pulse to at least check gauges on players. As mentioned above, McCord isn't a player that flew under the radar. He had loads of exposure at OSU. While he's improved, as of 6 days ago, Kiper didn't even have him in his Top 10 QBs. Everyone knows him, so this isn't an oversight.

1728476044644.jpeg

I think that Kyle is top 5 for sure at SU since i have been watching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom