McDonald to Cohen | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald to Cohen

The kid doesn't understand his own medium. The post standard encourages reporters to use twitter to attract readers / followers.

Then he puts something up on his work twitter account that he then claims is private and tries to say he "didn't report anything".

Isn't this the same reporter who will report what recruits say on twitter as reportable information?

This is what happens when you put a 22-year old kid in a job that he is not qualified to do.

The kid doesn't understand his own medium. The post standard encourages reporters to use twitter to attract readers / followers.

Then he puts something up on his work twitter account that he then claims is private and tries to say he "didn't report anything".

Isn't this the same reporter who will report what recruits say on twitter as reportable information?

This is what happens when you put a 22-year old kid in a job that he is not qualified to do.
Well, he's probably on his way to being banned. That'll suck for his career.

Does anyone think he's intentionally doing these things because he just doesn't like SU? Don't you think that he has to more than just stupid to have a conversation like that on social media?
I honestly believe it warrants that he be fired. To say that he was an irresponsible journalist is an understatement. It was incredibly unprofessional

I don't think it was intentional. It was a mistake that he compounded by getting defensive when called on it. He backed himself into a corner.

Not a particularly graceful or mature approach to handling it.

I was going to post the same thing. He links to that twitter account on his with the whole "follow me on twitter", and then disclaims the whole thing as just a conversation between two "journos".

It a public forum, not his email. Good lord. Either own it or don't say it in public, regardless of method.

You just can't be the beat reporter for the local newspaper and act like recruiting site guy. Pick a lane and do your job.

I was going to post the same thing. He links to that twitter account on his with the whole "follow me on twitter", and then disclaims the whole thing as just a conversation between two "journos".

It a public forum, not his email. Good lord. Either own it or don't say it in public, regardless of method.

You just can't be the beat reporter for the local newspaper and act like recruiting site guy. Pick a lane and do your job.

Yep, agree 1000% with you and Jake. You want to be the beat writer for the SU football team? Great. You can't also be the rumor mill, and then claim it's just your personal twitter and you're responding to someone. He knows twitter is completely public. You don't even have to follow him to see his comment. Take it to email if you and your journalism buddy want to discuss a rumor like that.

He should have deleted the tweet and apologized for the speculation.

And as for the PS, no they don't need to have full time homers writing for them. But when their writers want to post program damaging thoughts because of something they heard somewhere (whether he heard it or not), they should think long and hard about whether or not that person should be their SU football beat writer.

Cohen's head is to big for his shoulders. I have zero problem with McDonald calling out his BS. I did a week ago and got the same arrogant response.

My guess is this guy is headed to cover sewing in Potsdam - or worse - UCONN football.

The "well nothing was published" is the lamest cop out.

It's a public forum. Isn't this generation supposed to intuitively "get" Twitter? He clearly doesn't.

I don't agree with what Cohen did, but looking at what passes for "journalism" today, stuff like that will probably help his career beyond Syracuse.com.

Cohen's head is to big for his shoulders. I have zero problem with McDonald calling out his BS. I did a week ago and got the same arrogant response.

My guess is this guy is headed to cover sewing in Potsdam - or worse - UCONN football.

Gooooooood Mornin Salamanca!, Welcome to the another "Lindsley and Cohen Show" on the 750 Watt Flamethrower WSuk heard from Olean to Bradford. This morning we will discuss important topics today involving St. Bonaventure Basketball and UConn Women Hoops.

McDonald hitting out at a beat reporter on a public forum is unprofessional.

They are two of the most visible people from two of the most visible institutions in the Syracuse-area.

It's not like they aren't going to cross paths. If there's beef, McDonald (or Shafer) and Cohen need to work it out behind closed doors.

Huh?

McDonald calling out blatant misinformation doesn't seem unprofessional--at all. This wasn't a dispute over minutia--this was Cohen suggesting that a position change is likely, based upon "rumblings" that ostensibly correspond to sources he has.

I'm kind of at a loss to understand how McDonald's response is unprofessional in remotely any way, shape, or form. Frankly, I think his response was measured and restrained. :noidea:

Gooooooood Mornin Salamanca!, Welcome to the another "Lindsley and Cohen Show" on the 750 Watt Flamethrower WSuk heard from Olean to Bradford. This morning we will discuss important topics today involving St. Bonaventure Basketball and UConn Women Hoops.
I'm just impressed you mentioned my mother's home town of Bradford.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I don't agree with what Cohen did, but looking at what passes for "journalism" today, stuff like that will probably help his career beyond Syracuse.com.

I just hope "young Cohen" learns quickly. We all were new in our jobs...his just happens to be very public and open to public ridicule. The media is a tough business and not well paying for most. I do wish him good luck...however, he needs to shape up fast.

Their first interview will be a fake Mike Pagliarulo.
Cohen: "Mike, what can you tell us about some of your team mates from those powerhouse mid 1980's teams you played on?"
(fake) Mike: "Well I can tell you one thing . . . Bobby Meacham wasn't all that . . . "

I'm just impressed you mentioned my mother's home town of Bradford.

I was a geography major in college...I'm an idiot savant involving where cities and towns are. I used to draw maps and look at maps for hours when I was a kid. I love Google maps!

I was a geography major in college...I'm an idiot savant involving where cities and towns are. I used to draw maps and look at maps for hours when I was a kid. I love Google maps!
Not busting on you, but what kind of jobs were geography majors looking to land?

Huh?

McDonald calling out blatant misinformation doesn't seem unprofessional--at all. This wasn't a dispute over minutia--this was Cohen suggesting that a position change is likely, based upon "rumblings" that ostensibly correspond to sources he has.

I'm kind of at a loss to understand how McDonald's response is unprofessional in remotely any way, shape, or form. Frankly, I think his response was measured and restrained. :noidea:

Because McDonald seeing Cohen at practice, pulling him aside, asking him where he heard the information, and asking him to not post something like that again is a much more mature, responsible way of doing it as opposed to calling him out on Twitter.

Let me make this ridiculously clear- I'm not defending Cohen. He did a stupid thing.

But Syracuse Football is a brand. And you don't want your Offensive Coordinator engaging in public battles. You're going to get burned that way.

Well you teach or most likely get involved with government. (Urban Planning, Defense Mapping Agency, CIA). I had an interview with the CIA set up but the USAF offered me a chance to fly jets so I took that.
What a puss :p

Well you teach or most likely get involved with government. (Urban Planning, Defense Mapping Agency, CIA). I had an interview with the CIA set up but the USAF offered me a chance to fly jets so I took that.
Also really liked geography. Favorite board game was definitely ...
risk_board_game_1965_bb.jpg

Because McDonald seeing Cohen at practice, pulling him aside, asking him where he heard the information, and asking him to not post something like that again is a much more mature, responsible way of doing it as opposed to calling him out on Twitter.

And A.J. Long is just supposed to think there are 2 faced Syracuse coaches recruiting him? Well, they may be telling me I am going to be their QB, but their beat writer says that I may switch positions...

You must go public to defend against incorrect information leaked publically.

And A.J. Long is just supposed to think there are 2 faced Syracuse coaches recruiting him? Well, they may be telling me I am going to be their QB, but their beat writer says that I may switch positions...

You must go public to defend against incorrect information leaked publically.

I tend to agree here. This is a newer situation as well. Not just twitter, but, even just recently it became acceptable in mainstream media to cite unnamed sources. Maybe I'm old school, but, as much as I see it I still hate anonymous sources. It lends to the whole Internet phenomena of not being held accountable and the traits it can bring out of someone.

I support McDonalds response here, a line must be drawn and doing it publicly has a better chance of making an impact on the author of the statements. These situations are going to pop up more and more frequently, not just here but everywhere.