McDonald to Cohen | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald to Cohen

And A.J. Long is just supposed to think there are 2 faced Syracuse coaches recruiting him? Well, they may be telling me I am going to be their QB, but their beat writer says that I may switch positions...

You must go public to defend against incorrect information leaked publically.

Or a coach could just text the kid and tell him some dipsh!t reporter tweeted nonsense so don't believe it.

This whole things is stupid. The writer shouldn't have tweeted what he did, and the coach should have let it go.

No winners.

And A.J. Long is just supposed to think there are 2 faced Syracuse coaches recruiting him? Well, they may be telling me I am going to be their QB, but their beat writer says that I may switch positions...

You must go public to defend against incorrect information leaked publically.

Or, you know, McDonald could just call/tweet/e-mail/visit/mail AJ Long and set the record straight. Or Tim Lester could. Or Eric White. Or Scott Shafer. Or anyone else who is certain to be in touch with a highly-prized recruit on a regular basis.

I guess I just see this in a different way than you guys. Agree to disagree I guess.

Because McDonald seeing Cohen at practice, pulling him aside, asking him where he heard the information, and asking him to not post something like that again is a much more mature, responsible way of doing it as opposed to calling him out on Twitter.

Let me make this ridiculously clear- I'm not defending Cohen. He did a stupid thing.

But Syracuse Football is a brand. And you don't want your Offensive Coordinator engaging in public battles. You're going to get burned that way.

I'd be willing to bet that this conversation or one like it has already happened a few times.

Also really liked geography. Favorite board game was definitely ...
risk_board_game_1965_bb.jpg
Best Game Ever! I used to love grabbing Oceania and South America early and hold on...let the others battle over the other continents.

I was a geography major in college...I'm an idiot savant involving where cities and towns are. I used to draw maps and look at maps for hours when I was a kid. I love Google maps!

Many articles now list geography as one of the 10 most useless majors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many articles now list geography as one of the 10 most useless majors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That and Sports Forum Administrators...BTW, I basically agree unless you are really focused in what you want to do. Why do you think I got into aviation?

That and Sports Forum Administrators...BTW, I basically agree unless you are really focused in what you want to do. Why do you think I got into aviation?
You question Kim Jong Bees? He majored in Communism with a double major in ZHoney along with a minor in silent verbals.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Oh
I was a geography major in college...I'm an idiot savant involving where cities and towns are. I used to draw maps and look at maps for hours when I was a kid. I love Google maps!
I have a geography degree as well! Best decision of my life, besides my wife... GIS is the wave of the future. You can land a job instantly out of college and work in some of the coolest places on the planet.

Cohen just spews negativity about Syracuse football. Such a joke. The program's distaste towards him started back a few years back during his days as a student writer in the DO. Marrone would not let that kid near the program after he wrote a completely ridiculous article about the team.

Here's an idea... write some positive shiit every once in a while.

I know this is a touchy subject and I'm seriously just asking. Any way this is just a 22 yr old being reckless? I don't read the PS and could careless but kids are kids with bumps and bruises. I'm sure they might/have a class in journo that deals with social media

Btw they say journo in this movie

Based on his twitter profile picture, his face is extremely punchable. Is it just me?

Or a coach could just text the kid and tell him some dipsh!t reporter tweeted nonsense so don't believe it.

This whole things is stupid. The writer shouldn't have tweeted what he did, and the coach should have let it go.

No winners.[/quote

Do you guys think SU owns the paper and direct a kid to write what he should? This isn't the Red Sox and the boston glob (kidding but not really)

A good way to fix this problem is to feed intel so there isn't head fakes from the local media. He's not an employee of the football team and is looking for stories people will read.

I'm a fan and don't like the twitter p@ssing fights but maybe the team is at fault here too.

You are COMPLETELY missing the point. Please re-read this entire thread.

The issue with that is Long is still a recruit and per NCAA rules, the coaching staff cannot comment on him specifically. If the coaches don't trust Cohen, they certainly aren't going to pull him over during practice and say "AJ Long is our QB next year" because he could run a story/tweet that and now it's a violation.

Now if coaches trusted him, they might be willing to speak, but as it has been mentioned, Cohen got into trouble while at the DO. He's about to get Donnie Webb'd by this staff and it will be very difficult for him to get the kind of info that Rahme received. Expect to see more from Mink/Carlson.

- One more reason I hate twitter.

- IMO it is extremely unprofessional for a newspaper writer to post rumors based on twitter feeds from some random person or "rumblings". I always thought a basic tenet of Journalism 101 was that the press has a responsibility to base news on reliable sources. I'm recalling all of the major networks having egg on their faces when they reported the incorrect story about the Boston bombing suspects being in custody based on "anonymous sources".

- Cohen et al., are not off to a good start. All of the negative stories and now this crap have set up an adversarial relationship with the coaches of the team they are assigned to cover. This has alienated their readership and will only make their job more difficult. Maybe they should consider a career with the National Enquirer.

- I admire McDonald for calling him out on it and coming to the defense of a prized recruit.

Cohen needs to be fired. His absent mindedness/ineptitude seems to constantly put in jeopardy our status with recruits. How can this moron not understand he's not just being followed on twitter by his buddies from college? I want Rahme and/or Webb back. Maybe the coaching staff can appoint an insider from this site as a beat writer that can compete with, and immediately crush, the horrible football coverage of the PS.

And then there is this, "But like Hunt, most of his completions came on slant passes, swing passes or screens, and there were no completions in which the ball traveled more than 25 yards in the air."

So what

That was also my exact thought when I read that; so what?!?

In the video interview with Shafer after the game - looked like Cohen showed up late to ask another QB question. Shafer gave him a quick "You missed it because you were late..."

Reminds me of the ACC meetings when the PS guys made a big deal about Shafer being late...