Medical Redshirt for Braswell | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Medical Redshirt for Braswell

Insert “(James) Southerland” for “(Robert) Braswell” in this comment, and does it change at all?

You tell me.

Not much.

I’m of the opinion that Braswell never plays again at SU.

Hope I’m wrong.

For those who were not able to see the Italy games, Braswell was arguably the best defender on the team in those games. It really surprised me to see him get dominated by mid major back ups, and when I mentioned as much someone told me he was having leg issues.

Hopefully whatever is wrong can be fixed because there is a player inside Braswell somewhere.

The only reason not to red shirt him is because you think he can't recover from this and don't want him on the books an extra year, so let's hope for both his sake and ours that he's a firm red shirt by this point next week.

For those who were not able to see the Italy games, Braswell was arguably the best defender on the team in those games. It really surprised me to see him get dominated by mid major back ups, and when I mentioned as much someone told me he was having leg issues.

Hopefully whatever is wrong can be fixed because there is a player inside Braswell somewhere.

The only reason not to red shirt him is because you think he can't recover from this and don't want him on the books an extra year, so let's hope for both his sake and ours that he's a firm red shirt by this point next week.

The hope is he can recover by next season. If it requires surgery — and someone mentioned a 12-18 month recovery period — he’s out next year as well.

Wait, we don't discuss players' medical conditions or I thought I remember being told that somewhere.

No we’d rather assume and blame JB and staff for being stubborn, mean and uncaring for not playing these kids to fit people’s personal agendas regarding the program. HIPPA, FERPA etc usually restricts conversations regarding medical or educational issues unless it’s agreed in writing by the student athlete.

Shut him down this season is lost.
Don’t waste a year when we don’t have too. This kid is a player he wouldn’t get enough PT this year.
Let him get healthy.

If he wants the medical RS this should be a no brained. JB on his own should shut him down and let him get healthy. In case he wants to transfer don’t take a year from him.

Braswell has a great shot

What else does he do well? You tell me.

He doesn’t handle the ball much, drive to the basket or battle for rebounds.

Is that because of his legs? Maybe.

But it raises concerns.

Arguably our second best forward in the zone. Even hobbling I thought he anticipated movement very well last night and was solid in his rotations. The demands on the wings defensively are significant - getting out to defend the three foul line extended and even above sometimes without losing baseline has to becomce intuitive. Braswell seems to get it. Quincy is lost.

Didnt Southerland redshirt his first year? Am I misremembering?
misremembering

Scoop is another player who take advantage of a RS year

Don’t get our hopes up Ha!!

lol. Wouldn't dream of it. But I have a good friend who lives in Beacon again and golfs with the former Beacon coach (never coached Hughes) and they talked about Elijah at length. Keep in mind Elijah comes from an upper-middle class family - his dad works for IBM - so there is no financial urgency at play. Assuming he gets his degree and continues to play at an all-ACC level I would be amazed to see him back next year, but it would not be unimaginable to see Hughes go through the evaluation process, get a projected draft position in mid-second to UDFA and decide to return.

jesus...i miss AO
Otis Hill and Rick Jackson; miss them too. It’s what this team has lacked. Toughness and rebounding. Hope to bring in a grad transfer in this mold next year

I ran hurdles at SU and had shin splints that were very painful. The trainer used to tape them, but I am not sure that it helped.

Scoop had a broken foot.
I thought the broken foot was after he graduated? Didn't he have a stress fracture in his leg freshman year he didn't tell team about till later and caused him to miss the next year? I could be wrong here, but that is what I vaguely remember.

Otis Hill and Rick Jackson; miss them too. It’s what this team has lacked. Toughness and rebounding. Hope to bring in a grad transfer in this mold next year

At what point was it determined that all of our 5s have to be 6'11 195. Give me the 6'9 250 guy. Those guys have far more success in college. Notre Dame has had thick white guys with flattops that have dominated us inside for a decade plus.

At one point was it determined that all of our 5s have to be 6'11 195. Give me the 6'9 250 guy. Those guys have far more success in college. Notre Dame has had thick white guys with flattops that have dominated us inside for a decade plus.

Can't wait to see what random white dude they have that will dominate Sidibe and Marek on Sat.

Can't wait to see what random white dude they have that will dominate Sidibe and Marek on Sat.

Unfortunately John Mooney is far from random averaging 15 ppg and leading the ACC in rebounding by a wide margin at 13.5. 6'9". 245 lbs is not a great recipe for our interior defense.

BTW, despite all the Sidibe bashing, if he could stay on the court he is averaging 9.5 points, 12.7 boards, and 2 blocks per 40 minutes.

Unfortunately John Mooney is far from random averaging 15 ppg and leading the ACC in rebounding by a wide margin at 13.5. 6'9". 245 lbs is not a great recipe for our interior defense.

BTW, despite all the Sidibe bashing, if he could stay on the court he is averaging 9.5 points, 12.7 boards, and 2 blocks per 40 minutes.

Yes unfortunately I am aware of Mooney and he is a bad matchup for us. Hopefully Edwards can play this week as I am sure we will need him as Marek can't match up with Mooney at 245lbs which is about twice his weight.
Sidibe had a nice game against Niagara but he's struggled against pretty much anyteam with even a mediocre center. If he could simply rebound he would be a huge asset on this team. Unfortunately he continues to struggle to handle the ball, rebound and not turn the ball over when he actually does get it. I'll be rooting for him on Saturday though and hopefully he gets off to a good start in the ACC.

Yes unfortunately I am aware of Mooney and he is a bad matchup for us. Hopefully Edwards can play this week as I am sure we will need him as Marek can't match up with Mooney at 245lbs which is about twice his weight.
Sidibe had a nice game against Niagara but he's struggled against pretty much anyteam with even a mediocre center. If he could simply rebound he would be a huge asset on this team. Unfortunately he continues to struggle to handle the ball, rebound and not turn the ball over when he actually does get it. I'll be rooting for him on Saturday though and hopefully he gets off to a good start in the ACC.

He has actually had some pretty good numbers rebounding against teams with solid post play. Problem is that he is sometimes TOO aggressive and gets in foul trouble so his minutes are limited.

Oakland - 13 boards in 23 minutes but 4 fouls
Georgia Tech - 8 board in 25 minutes; 4 fouls
Iowa - 8 in 27 with 3 fouls
OSU - 9 in 21; 4 fouls

He's certainly had a couple of no shows as well - UVa and Penn State come to mind - but on balance he has done well on the boards.

Honestly I am much more disappointed by his interior defense than his rebounding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom