Melo may be done in Houston | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Melo may be done in Houston

Don’t bring two time world champion Eli into this thread. Things may get ugly.

You're right, it may get ugly. Truth is, he's been slowing down and has gotten shell shocked. Not all his fault but true just the same. I think it would be a mistake for him to go somewhere else. If he fails, it is a horrible look..same as Ewing. When it's time, it's time. No embarrassment for being a great pro whose time has come (or is nearing). Retire and let the fans love you.

There’s 5 players that got us to the FF or won us a title that our board seems to belittle any time they are brought up. It’s really annoying!

Melo
Gmac
Mali
Triche
Lydon

Who’s belittling those guys? We’re talking about Melo as a pro at this stage of his career. A rapid decline. So what? What does Melo or those guys’ pro career have anything to do with their careers (some very short) at SU?

Agreed he isn't good at this and to be honest that was never his game. If they signed him to space the floor and just shoot 3's they are the stupid ones. I was thinking they would be running iso stuff for him as a secondary option where he could take the 4's for other teams on hit a medium range jumper, the occasional 3 and help with rebounding in their second unit.

I don’t think he can do those things with any regularity now. He’s not good enough of an ISO player now and I don’t think he can exploit many 4s in today’s game. That’s about the only place you can put him, IMO. Space the floor and let him camp out. I mean OKC had to use him that way as well. You can’t really use him many other ways these days. It’s fine. He’ll be a HOFer and he’s a good dude for sure.

Anyone else think it’s odd Dion Waiters gets more respect from our fans on this board than Melo?

Like I really don’t get that.

This place is weird.

One more thing to add -- it can't be overstated how impactful his substantial donation to fund the Carmelo K. Anthony center was for our program. It is one of the nicest, most modern training facilities in all of college basketball. In this era of "arms race" facilities, he set our program up for the next decade or two.

Kid donated an awful lot of money for being such a young person. Fans of Syracuse University basketball should be grateful to Carmelo for his contributions on AND off the court.

One more thing to add -- it can't be overstated how impactful his substantial donation to fund the Carmelo K. Anthony center was for our program. It is one of the nicest, most modern training facilities in all of college basketball.

Kid donated an awful lot of money for being such a young person. Fans of Syracuse University basketball should be grateful to Carmelo for his contributions on AND off the court.
True and it also should be brought up that after the Fine news broke and Boeheim said they were lying and ESPN devoted a good 2 months to trying to destroy Boeheim that he came down for a game to support the program and did an interview on TV. It would have been easier for him to do nothing.

I do not believe they run the Triangle. You may be thinking of Phil Jackson's teams in NY. Except for teams using some principles of it, there are no teams running it, now. D'Antoni runs the 7 seconds or less offense..free running and gunning, but you have got to move. There is no place for a sticky ball in it.
Not sure how far D'Antoni has moved away from it - because the players don't always run the exact system he coaches. But in NY he ran the triangle .. brought Rambus in to help (Rambus helped run it with the T-wolves). Old dog.

I don’t think he can do those things with any regularity now. He’s not good enough of an ISO player now and I don’t think he can exploit many 4s in today’s game. That’s about the only place you can put him, IMO. Space the floor and let him camp out. I mean OKC had to use him that way as well. You can’t really use him many other ways these days. It’s fine. He’ll be a HOFer and he’s a good dude for sure.
I think he can for 15 minutes a game running with the 2nd unit. I don't think it has been tried. I agree regarding being a HOFer and good dude.

Not sure how far D'Antoni has moved away from it - because the players don't always run the exact system he coaches. But in NY he ran the triangle .. brought Rambus in to help (Rambus helped run it with the T-wolves). Old dog.

Don't believe so. Rambis was asked to help MD at the behest of Phil Jackson. MD was NEVER a triangle guy. His offense was a combo pick and roll/pop and seven seconds or less. He was TOLD to run the triangle, which he tried to do. Jackson was the old dog.

Don't believe so. Rambis was asked to help MD at the behest of Phil Jackson. MD was NEVER a triangle guy. His offense was a combo pick and roll/pop and seven seconds or less. He was TOLD to run the triangle, which he tried to do. Jackson was the old dog.

D’Antoni was out of NY in 2012. Jackson came to NY in 2014.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

D’Antoni was out of NY in 2012. Jackson came to NY in 2014.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
You are correct...I didn't look up the details. My point was that MD has never been a triangle guy, Rambis or not. Apparently, he and Rambis had some prior work history in common.

Not sure what that legacy is besides a guy who scored a lot of points.

But, as Humphrey Bogart might have said, "We'll always have that night in New Orleans."

Alex English made the HOF. Melo is Alex English with a NCAA title and gold medals (I get that Alex couldn't participate in Olympics as a pro).

Alex English made the HOF. Melo is Alex English with a NCAA title and gold medals (I get that Alex couldn't participate in Olympics as a pro).

Roughly the same level. Melo’s got him beat in all League selections 6 to 3. 10 to 8 in All Star games. 24 ppg to 21 ppg for their careers.

Guys like Drexler, Dominique, Pierce, McGrady, etc. are roughly on the same level as Melo too IMO. Nothing wrong with that.

I remember him running a lot and attacking and posting up. Don't remember him camped out on the 3 line. Maybe I'm misremembering

Um, well - you have a poor memory.

In the USA's 156-73 win over Nigeria in 2012 Olympic preliminary round play, scored a U.S. Olympic single-game record of 37 points in just 14:29 minutes of action, and made 10-of-12 from 3-point to set U.S. Olympic marks for 3-pointers made and attempted.

Melo was hitting 3's like he was playing Pop-A-Shot at Dave & Busters. :cool:

One more thing to add -- it can't be overstated how impactful his substantial donation to fund the Carmelo K. Anthony center was for our program. It is one of the nicest, most modern training facilities in all of college basketball. In this era of "arms race" facilities, he set our program up for the next decade or two.

Plus there’s this:

I’m sure many of us went on similar rants.

Funny how some of these same small thinking SU fans criticize him for “chasing money” when he donated a lot of that same money to help the SU b-ball program to the next level. Ungrateful clowns. Go root for LeMoyne.

Um, well - you have a poor memory.

In the USA's 156-73 win over Nigeria in 2012 Olympic preliminary round play, scored a U.S. Olympic single-game record of 37 points in just 14:29 minutes of action, and made 10-of-12 from 3-point to set U.S. Olympic marks for 3-pointers made and attempted.

Melo was hitting 3's like he was playing Pop-A-Shot at Dave & Busters. :cool:
Nice try. You cherry picked the one game. Here's another, he went 9-15 from 3 in a game vs Australia in 2016. Other than that, his most made 3's in any other Olympic game he played in was 4, he went 4-8, it all goes down hill in percentage and number made from there. Memory's not so poor. This was also talking about him and his career. I stand by my original statement.

He has had an excellent career and is a no-brainer first ballot HOFer. Great for this school and great for USA Basketball and a very good pro who right, wrong or indifferent his NBA legacy is going to be labeled as a guy who was not great enough to get his team over the top in part because he always wanted max money.

Excellent career that over 95% of the guys who have ever played in the league would take in a second.

He has had an excellent career and is a no-brainer first ballot HOFer. Great for this school and great for USA Basketball and a very good pro who right, wrong or indifferent his NBA legacy is going to be labeled as a guy who was not great enough to get his team over the top in part because he always wanted max money.

Excellent career that over 95% of the guys who have ever played in the league would take in a second.
The narrative that he never got his teams over the top because of his pursuit of money is a weak crock. And his career places him somewhere closer to the 99th percentile of NBA players. In my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
The narrative that he never got his teams over the top because of his pursuit of money is a weak crock. And his career places him somewhere closer to 99th percentile of NBA players. In my opinion, of course.

This is why KD went to the Warriors. Fans hated that too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom