Melo or Noel? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo or Noel?

Would you rather have Fab melo next eyar or Nerlens Noel?

• Total voters
SWC75 by adding a question a relatively good answer to your choices above becomes clearer: what if Fab leaves and Noel does not come to 'Cuse then what? I believe this scenario is as probable as the above question. So no Fab and no Noel:
1. CJ, Christmas, Keita, Dirty, Grant and Coleman
2. Coleman and Keita are more back to basket centers
3. Christmas is definitely a 4
4. CJ, Dirty and Grant are 3s...but Grant could play point forward
'Cuse is very good with neither. However, given the players that will come back, I would take FAB in the scenario...more physical, demonstrated fits into 'Cuse system, has the chemistry, and more offensive (more ways than one than Noel)...and I am not sure how the heck JB would ever go to a rotation of CJ, Christmas, Keita, Dirty, Grant, Coleman, Triche, MCW, Cooney and both/either FAB and NOEL...sometimes subtraction is better than addition...sometimes the f..kin court can have too many players...

The premise of your question would assume we couldn't have both; I'm holding out for both. Somehow keep Fab for another year and bring in Nerlens to top off our recruiting!
choices.jpg

SWC75 by adding a question a relatively good answer to your choices above becomes clearer: what if Fab leaves and Noel does not come to 'Cuse then what? I believe this scenario is as probable as the above question. So no Fab and no Noel:
1. CJ, Christmas, Keita, Dirty, Grant and Coleman
2. Coleman and Keita are more back to basket centers
3. Christmas is definitely a 4
4. CJ, Dirty and Grant are 3s...but Grant could play point forward
'Cuse is very good with neither. However, given the players that will come back, I would take FAB in the scenario...more physical, demonstrated fits into 'Cuse system, has the chemistry, and more offensive (more ways than one than Noel)...and I am not sure how the heck JB would ever go to a rotation of CJ, Christmas, Keita, Dirty, Grant, Coleman, Triche, MCW, Cooney and both/either FAB and NOEL...sometimes subtraction is better than addition...sometimes the f..kin court can have too many players...
I had been a Fab lean. But your post is having me revisit my preference.

Look at next years projected lineup and identify its greatest weakness. It looks like PF to me (again). It now requires massive improvement out of Rak or else the PF will be manned by a SF again. Rebounding issues would probably remain.

The addition of Noel would immediately improve the PF position while Fab does not (and Dc2 doesn't help the PF either). The anticipated improvement of Rak would be much less relied upon. And if Rak does improve enough it still has a lot of benefits in that the option to redshirt BMK comes into play. A nice future benefit, much like the unanticipated return of both Scoop and Dion allowed for the RS of Whitehot.

I can envision the starting lineup of DC2 and Noel along with CJ on the front line - yes -backed up by Rak and JS. Otherwise next years projected main lineup (Rak would still get the start) would be Fab, CJ, and JS backed up by DC2 and maybe Rak or Grant - not the same caliber.

Add to that, as mentioned above the hype for the program for landing Noel is a nice boost. Plus the increased probability of sending another high profile person to the league is another benefit.

As for chemistry, that changes each year. Not having DC2 start, with Fab here, would have to be a little burn on him. He is a huge get, that we have taken for granted because it happened a couple of months ago.

I have talked myself into really liking the idea of Noel coming here. I think Fab is gone. I would love to see another coast to coast top 5 season out of the 'Cuse.

Noel, just to continue the trend of landing top recruits. Each time the program lands one of these guys, it improves the program's chances of landing future top recruits.

Interesting choice of words for a program that certainly doesn't need any changing. :)
You can always improve your profile a little bit.:noidea:

Noel. Only because last year was basically a wasted year for Fab because of him being so raw and overweight. Noel no question can come in and contribute more as a frosh than Fab could. He could even be better than Fab this year...maybe.

I look at what Anthony Davis has done, and I think Noel could be that type of player. So I'll take Noel.

As long as we have one of them I won't complain though.

I also like option 3) Keep Fab at the 5 and bring in NN for the 4. After watching Nerlens highlights, he really looks too thin for the 5 to me. He is pretty quick though and would be perfect to cover the wing. That is where he'll be in the NBA, he's not a center.

I was jsut wondering what scenario posters would prefer:

1) Fab Melo decides to come back to SU for at least his junior year and Nerlens Noel decides to go to Kentucky.

2) Fab decides to go to the pros and Noel comes here.

Factors: Melo is improving by leaps and bounds and the next step is to turn into an offensive force, both with an inside game and consistently making those jump shots. It could happen here. Melo might stay for his senior year as well. Noel hasn't yet played at this level. His offensive game is an unknown quantity. He may be a "one and doner". But he also might be the next Bill Russell.

Fab vs Noel is a great question but itself, but it is almost a no brainer when you take Noel away from Kentucky

I was jsut wondering what scenario posters would prefer:

1) Fab Melo decides to come back to SU for at least his junior year and Nerlens Noel decides to go to Kentucky.

2) Fab decides to go to the pros and Noel comes here.

Factors: Melo is improving by leaps and bounds and the next step is to turn into an offensive force, both with an inside game and consistently making those jump shots. It could happen here. Melo might stay for his senior year as well. Noel hasn't yet played at this level. His offensive game is an unknown quantity. He may be a "one and doner". But he also might be the next Bill Russell.

Good post. But I tend to go with the guys that have proven something and still have room to improve. I'm guessing Noel will be excellent, but I'll still go with the proven player who still could get significantly better.

Good post. But I tend to go with the guys that have proven something and still have room to improve. I'm guessing Noel will be excellent, but I'll still go with the proven player who still could get significantly better.

i just want to know what the odds our on Noel coming hear. From just the outside i would put at 60 % chance we get him. Cause say its 50 50 between us and uk. We have MCW so that gives us prob a 10 % increase atleast

so 60/40 we get him i say

If Noel projects as a forward, perhaps Fab's presence or absence isn't even an issue. :noidea:

I've heard a lot of people talk about how much Melo is going to improve over the off season, and not one person talk about Noel's potential improvements.

Anthony Davis is at worst the co-favorite for national player of the year and going to be the number one pick in the draft. I believe Noel is better than him, right now. In fact, I believe Noel is the best non-professional basketball player in America right now. And he has not been in a college weight program yet, he has never been coached by a Hall of Famer. Those things will help, a lot. It sounds a bit too good to be true, but so did Carmelo Anthony. He was for real, and so is Noel.

As much as Melo has tons of potential to improve, so does Noel. He will be a completely different player, especially on the offensive end, by March of next year.

I've heard a lot of people talk about how much Melo is going to improve over the off season, and not one person talk about Noel's potential improvements.

Anthony Davis is at worst the co-favorite for national player of the year and going to be the number one pick in the draft. I believe Noel is better than him, right now. In fact, I believe Noel is the best non-professional basketball player in America right now. And he has not been in a college weight program yet, he has never been coached by a Hall of Famer. Those things will help, a lot. It sounds a bit too good to be true, but so did Carmelo Anthony. He was for real, and so is Noel.

As much as Melo has tons of potential to improve, so does Noel. He will be a completely different player, especially on the offensive end, by March of next year.

There is a degree of speculation and some assumption in both cases. But, I don't think it’s fair to proclaim Noel as the 2nd coming of Anthony Davis just yet. There is no doubt that NN has a lot of potential. But, will he be the next dominant player at the college level? Or, will he ending up being something a little closer to Baye Keita? I know that a comparison with BK is no more fair than a comparison with Davis but all I'm saying is that we don't know what NN will be yet. With Melo, we've seen an under achieving freshman year, a re-dedication and physical transformation and a very solid sophomore campaign (with some more room to grow I might add). If he chooses to return and only makes marginal improvements between now and next year, (and if I have to choose between the two) I would rather have a proven junior than a freshman with big potential.

There is a degree of speculation and some assumption in both cases. But, I don't think it’s fair to proclaim Noel as the 2nd coming of Anthony Davis just yet. There is no doubt that NN has a lot of potential. But, will he be the next dominant player at the college level? Or, will he ending up being something a little closer to Baye Keita? I know that a comparison with BK is no more fair than a comparison with Davis but all I'm saying is that we don't know what NN will be yet. With Melo, we've seen an under achieving freshman year, a re-dedication and physical transformation and a very solid sophomore campaign (with some more room to grow I might add). If he chooses to return and only makes marginal improvements between now and next year, (and if I have to choose between the two) I would rather have a proven junior than a freshman with big potential.

And don't forget that Rakeem Christmas was one of the top big men last eyar. I beleive Noel will be much better than Rak and Keita. I don't know if he's going to be Anthony Davis. It's just that Melo is more of a known quantity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom