Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

will 1 of you guys please drop by the Yankee thread and take Briancuse home???

the mets lost season seems to have made him...well...a little lost.

Your always posting in here Kaiser lol.

Are you all on board with Alderson's retooling method? I'm not sure this roster is ready to win next season and am not optimistic with the Wilpon's spending habits. I love deGrom, but they really should be listening to offers for him in my opinion. Do a minor rebuilding job and put it all out there for 2019 or 2020. Good chance Harper is out of the NL East by then and the Nationals will slide back down to reality. Just frustrated with this organization's lack of direction and willingness to do what is needed to field a championship caliber team.

Are you all on board with Alderson's retooling method? I'm not sure this roster is ready to win next season and am not optimistic with the Wilpon's spending habits. I love deGrom, but they really should be listening to offers for him in my opinion. Do a minor rebuilding job and put it all out there for 2019 or 2020. Good chance Harper is out of the NL East by then and the Nationals will slide back down to reality. Just frustrated with this organization's lack of direction and willingness to do what is needed to field a championship caliber team.

They should be able to put a rotation out there next year with Thor/Degrom/Matz/Wheeler. If you can do that, I think you should be attempting to compete.

They are going to need to fill in a lot of holes in the lineup, but they should have money to spend. Where exactly that money is gonna go? Well, that's an excellent question and not really my job.

They should be able to put a rotation out there next year with Thor/Degrom/Matz/Wheeler. If you can do that, I think you should be attempting to compete.

They are going to need to fill in a lot of holes in the lineup, but they should have money to spend. Where exactly that money is gonna go? Well, that's an excellent question and not really my job.

The problem with that is it's a very top-heavy rotation. Two #1s and two #3s at best. Matz has shown he's a 20-25 GS a year guy at best. Harvey has to be out of the plans at this point. They really need a solid #2 via trade or FA. Hill or Cueto would be good fits. Absolutely need a workhorse #3 who will eat innings. Wheeler and Matz aren't the guys.

Need a real CF. Cain is good but pricey. Need to rebuild the pen with Reed leaving via trade or FA. Need a long-term solution at 3B. I think you go with d'Arnaud for one more year.

Let's assume they land Cain and a lesser SP (Tillman/Estrada). The lineup and rotation suddenly looks somewhat decent.

Rosario
Cain
Conforto
Cespedes
Smith
Walker
Rivera (or real 3B)
d'Arnaud

Thor
deGrom
Tillman/Estrada
Matz
Wheeler

The problem is that you're putting a TON of faith in the young guys (Smith, Rosario, Conforto) to basically lead your lineup. And how will the pen be rebuilt. I get that bullpens are hard to predict year-to-year, but some of the guys we have shouldn't be anywhere near the team next year. Robles and Salas lead that list. However, it'll be good when we actually have a manager that knows how to use a pen. I think many of our struggles in that department are exacerbated by TC having no idea what he's doing with the pen.

The problem with that is it's a very top-heavy rotation. Two #1s and two #3s at best. Matz has shown he's a 20-25 GS a year guy at best. Harvey has to be out of the plans at this point. They really need a solid #2 via trade or FA. Hill or Cueto would be good fits. Absolutely need a workhorse #3 who will eat innings. Wheeler and Matz aren't the guys.

Need a real CF. Cain is good but pricey. Need to rebuild the pen with Reed leaving via trade or FA. Need a long-term solution at 3B. I think you go with d'Arnaud for one more year.

Let's assume they land Cain and a lesser SP (Tillman/Estrada). The lineup and rotation suddenly looks somewhat decent.

Rosario
Cain
Conforto
Cespedes
Smith
Walker
Rivera (or real 3B)
d'Arnaud

Thor
deGrom
Tillman/Estrada
Matz
Wheeler

The problem is that you're putting a TON of faith in the young guys (Smith, Rosario, Conforto) to basically lead your lineup. And how will the pen be rebuilt. I get that bullpens are hard to predict year-to-year, but some of the guys we have shouldn't be anywhere near the team next year. Robles and Salas lead that list. However, it'll be good when we actually have a manager that knows how to use a pen. I think many of our struggles in that department are exacerbated by TC having no idea what he's doing with the pen.

I don't think this will happen, but if you really wanted to go for a FA pitcher, you should go for Darvish. That said, I agree that they need to sign someone they can rely on for 25+ starts next season.

Walker isn't under contract, I don't see them bringing him back, but who knows. Cain in CF scares me a little, he's getting old for a CF. But the alternatives aren't great. Mike Moustakas is a FA and he's below 30, maybe he's an option at third?

I also do worry a little about giving both Smith and Rosario jobs from the jump next year. As long as Rosario can play a good SS and hit a little he'll be ok, but Smith as a 1B needs to hit big from the jump.

Rosario
Cain
Conforto
Cespedes
Smith
Walker
Rivera (or real 3B)
d'Arnaud

Thor
deGrom
Tillman/Estrada
Matz
Wheeler

It would be nice for Rosario to get some abs this year to be ready for next year, but our gm is a complete moron.

It would be nice for Rosario to get some abs this year to be ready for next year, but our gm is a complete moron.

I would have to think he'll be up at some point? But agree, I would like to see him up so you have some idea of what you have for next year

I would have to think he'll be up at some point? But agree, I would like to see him up so you have some idea of what you have for next year

I mean what are they waiting for, the guy is hitting like 330, the season is over, what good reason is there for him to still be in Vegas right now?

I mean what are they waiting for, the guy is hitting like 330, the season is over, what good reason is there for him to still be in Vegas right now?
Service time towards FA. You don't want the kid to come up and rake too early and get Super two status.

I wouldn't call the kid up till late August even though I have him stashed on my fantasy team.

Service time towards FA. You don't want the kid to come up and rake too early and get Super two status.

I wouldn't call the kid up till late August even though I have him stashed on my fantasy team.

The super 2 deadline is like the end of May at the latest. We are miles past that.

Like Knicks said we are months past super two, this is our idiot gm being his usual self.

Like Knicks said we are months past super two, this is our idiot gm being his usual self.

I think Sandy in general has done a solid job. i think he's way off on this one

I think Sandy in general has done a solid job. i think he's way off on this one

I think hes done an average job, he inherited alot of guys from Omar Minaya, hes made some good deals and some bad ones, he is so lost on this one.

Rosario almost makes Reyes look calm. He is a hyper dude.

Rosario almost makes Reyes look calm. He is a hyper dude.

The Mets are finally getting some speed in the line-up. I hope they keep them together for a while.

How much does the job of "Network Stooge" pay?

detail.5da7e264.jpg

Is it more the "The Man in Red" gets?

Bruce is shipped off to Cleveland...Mets get a so so pitching prospect, Ryder Ryan, and salary relief.

This week's Sports Illustrated has a sidebar article, (not yet on-line), on trading players for prospects. They provide some examples. They may have been cherry-picking but here is their list:

Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay for
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Beau Jones

CC Sabathia for
Matt Laporta, Rob Byrson, Zach Jackson and Michael Brantley

Cliff Lee for
Carlos Carrasco, Jason Knapp, Lou Marson and Jason Donald

Roy Oswalt for
JA Happ, Anthony Gose and Jonathan Villar

Carlos Beltran for
Zach Wheeler

Zack Grenke for
Jean Segura, Johnny Hellweg and Ariel Pena

Matt Garza for
Carl Edwards, Justin Grimm, Mike Olt and Neil Ramirez

David Price and Austin Jackson for
Drew Smyly, Willy Adams and Nick Franklin

I'm not going to look up all those guys right now. You can find them here, (assuming they all made the majors):
MLB Stats, Scores, History, & Records | Baseball-Reference.com

You're trading above average major leaguers for prospects. I remember when the Mets went from winning 100 game sin 1986 and 1988 to losing 100 game sin 1993. They had a lot of trades like this: something for nothing. Just two years ago the Mets seemed like a coming team with a great young pitching staffs. All they needed to was to build a good starting line-up and it seemed to me that they had done that this year, (when everyone was healthy). Now the Mets are dumping salary and they are doing it to get pitching prospects, which means that they don't think the golden rotation of Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom, Syndergaard and Matz is ever going to happen. Meanwhile the message to the team and the fans is to forget this year and maybe the next couple of years. I've always thought dumping salary was more about the owner's pocketbook rather than the team's future.

That was a short era. I wonder what Beau Jones is doing these days.

Last edited:
This week's Sports Illustrated has a sidebar article, (not yet on-line), on trading players for prospects. They provide some examples. They may have been cherry-picking but here is their list:

Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay for
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Beau Jones

CC Sabathia for
Matt Laporta, Rob Byrson, Zach Jackson and Michael Brantley

Cliff Lee for
Carlos Carrasco, Jason Knapp, Lou Marson and Jason Donald

Roy Oswalt for
JA Happ, Anthony Gose and Jonathan Villar

Carlos Beltran for
Zach Wheeler

Zack Grenke for
Jean Segura, Johnny Hellweg and Ariel Pena

Matt Garza for
Carl Edwards, Justin Grimm, Mike Olt and Neil Ramirez

David Price and Austin Jackson for
Drew Smyly, Willy Adams and Nick Franklin

I'm not going to look up all those guys right now. You can find them here, (assuming they all made the majors):
MLB Stats, Scores, History, & Records | Baseball-Reference.com

You're trading above average major leaguers for prospects. I remember when the Mets went from winning 100 game sin 1986 and 1988 to losing 100 game sin 1993. They had a lot of trades like this: something for nothing. Just two years ago the Mets seemed like a coming team with a great young pitching staffs. All they needed to was to build a good starting line-up and it seemed to me that they had done that this year, (when everyone was healthy). Now the Mets are dumping salary and they are doing it to get pitching prospects, which emans that they don't think the golden rotation of Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom, Syndergaard and Matz is ever going to happen. Meanwhile the message to the team and the fans is to forget this year and maybe the next couple of years. I've always thought dumping salary was more about the owner's pocketbook rather than the team's future.

That was a short era. I wonder what Beau Jones is doing these days.

I agree dumping salary is more for Fred. I'd disagree with the bolded in this case; every single guy they've acquired is a reliever. That said, and this should come as a surprise to no one, (but probably is) there's a huge attrition rate with pitchers. They need to acquire at least one this off-season.

Why? I'm sure he was told the other team was going to pay all the salary, so what did you expect him to get?

A lot more, they got nothing back for a guy having a terrific year, if you can't get anything good back keep the guy and sign him, Sandy is a joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom