Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

I don't think so. It's a private business they own. It's not like it's a publicly traded company.

I remember after the Madoff scandal that a wall street guy bought a part of the team for some $20 million. I assume he was buying stock.

Don't lawyers typically urge business owners to incorporate for liability purposes? Woulnd't that make the team a separate entity from the Wilpon family?

I remember after the Madoff scandal that a wall street guy bought a part of the team for some $20 million. I assume he was buying stock.

Don't lawyers typically urge business owners to incorporate for liability purposes? Woulnd't that make the team a separate entity from the Wilpon family?

The Wilpons took on some minority owners in the wake of the Madoff thing. That doesn't make it publicly traded or anything.

I don't think you are correct with your interpretation of this. I am not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure. It's just a private business that they own.

I understood the arrangement to be a limited partnership. Looking it up, that is the case and Sterling Mets did sell equity shares in order to stay afloat after Madoff losses several years ago: SEC FORM D

I understood the arrangement to be a limited partnership. Looking it up, that is the case and Sterling Mets did sell equity shares in order to stay afloat after Madoff losses several years ago: SEC FORM D

So if it's a limited partnership, do the Wilpons have the right to pocket the money they off of the current trades and can they take deferred money and give it to Madoff? Don't their partners have to sign off on that?

So if it's a limited partnership, do the Wilpons have the right to pocket the money they off of the current trades and can they take deferred money and give it to Madoff? Don't their partners have to sign off on that?

They're majority owners, so I would say no.

I would also assume the minority owners see their share of that money that gets saved as well.

Why doesn't Spectrum have SNY any more? :mad:

I get a screen saying it's "currently unavailable but that I should "Try again later". :confused:

Why doesn't Spectrum have SNY any more? :mad:

I get a screen saying it's "currently unavailable but that I should "Try again later". :confused:

Their doing you a favor, this team is unwatchable right now outside of degrom starts.

Their doing you a favor, this team is unwatchable right now outside of degrom starts.

Turns out my new Spectrum box needed a reboot. I was missing several channels, including the one the fight was on. They said I wasn't the only one.

I have a feeling that this is the end for Collins.

Yeah, I think he was on record earlier saying this year would be his last.

I can't take another year with him anyway. need a new guy to dislike

What exactly is the off-season plan here?

Unfortunately no plan probably. I'm not sold that Terry is the main problem (Wilpons are so cheap).

I wish Wright would give up on his comeback attempts and retire.
I hope Thor makes a full recovery but I'm really worried about it.
I hope Harvey magically goes back to pre injury Harvey.
I like Rosario at ss but not sold on Smith at 1st.
I would like to see an outfield of Cespedes/Conforto/Lagares play 90% of their games.
I really hope they don't plan on an infield of Reyes/Rosario/Cabrera/Smith or we are doomed. I think Reyes is a perfect utility player but not an everyday player anymore.

I could go on and on but this year was a huge disappointment with all the expectations. Injuries hurt quite a but but not the only problem.

Unfortunately no plan probably. I'm not sold that Terry is the main problem (Wilpons are so cheap).

I wish Wright would give up on his comeback attempts and retire.
I hope Thor makes a full recovery but I'm really worried about it.
I hope Harvey magically goes back to pre injury Harvey.
I like Rosario at ss but not sold on Smith at 1st.
I would like to see an outfield of Cespedes/Conforto/Lagares play 90% of their games.
I really hope they don't plan on an infield of Reyes/Rosario/Cabrera/Smith or we are doomed. I think Reyes is a perfect utility player but not an everyday player anymore.

I could go on and on but this year was a huge disappointment with all the expectations. Injuries hurt quite a but but not the only problem.

Don't get me wrong, Terry is absolutely not the main problem.

I think (hope?) Thor will be fine. It's not an arm injury. I'd like to see him come back this year and look like Thor again, but that said, he's not a huge worry of mine.
Harvey i think is toast.

Dom is young, but he's been really underwhelming, I'm not sure you can go into next year with him as your 1B. I agree on Rosario.

Agree with this. They've got an interesting surprise coming down the pike that'll make a lot of people on this board happy, though. But in general, they've been the common denominator during a lot of down years following apparent breakthroughs.

The Met's cumulative line score during their current four game losing streak:

Mets 3 3 3 1 1 3 0 3 2 = 19
Opp 4 3 1 12 1 7 8 10 3 = 49

It's not just the starters.

I haven't watched a Met game in weeks.

It's the pitching... almost 5 runs a game should win you at least half those games in the big leagues. The entire pitching staff from top to bottom dumped gasoline on itself and lit a match this year. It's almost unprecedented how bad this pitching staff has been this year... in fact I think its the worst in Mets history. I don't know where they go from here given the whole team has been built around pitching.

Whats interesting is if you look at the top teams in the NL they are the leaders in OPS for the NL. Alderson and his theory of pitching + homers needs to retire because building around those two as the core of a team don't work any more.

The reality is the Mets are going to suck until when/if the Wilpons sell the team. They need to rebuild their entire pitching staff and outside of Comforto/Rosario I see no long term answers for the position players. I admit Thor + DeGrom are an awesome start but literally every other pitcher might need to be replaced. I don't think the Wilpons will fund the rebuild this team needs and I don't think Alderson is the guy to do it. The strategy is going to be try again next year with the same pitchers and even more unproven hitters... I think next year is going to be Alderson's last.

i was never a harvey fan; his public persona rubbed me the wrong way from the very start.

but it's sad to see what's happened to him.

Agree with this. They've got an interesting surprise coming down the pike that'll make a lot of people on this board happy, though. But in general, they've been the common denominator during a lot of down years following apparent breakthroughs.

Hiring Wright as manager? That would be amazing. I'd be all for that.

The problem with this season is that besides the injuries, our pitching has been HISTORICALLY bad. Saw this stat thrown out on a Mets message board that I frequent.

Mets Pitchers with over 50 IP and a 5.00 or higher ERA, in one season.
Mets franchise 1962-2016: 48
2017 Mets: 8

(Stats current as of 9/18)
6.59 Harvey
6.08 Matz
5.54 Smoker (5.2 scoreless IP would drop him below 5.00)
5.22 Gsellman (5.0 scoreless IP would drop him below 5.00)
5.21 Wheeler
5.21 Lugo (3.2 scoreless IP would drop him below 5.00)
5.11 Robles (1.1 scoreless IP would drop him below 5.00)
5.08 Montero (1.2 scoreless IP would drop him below 5.00)

So basically, we've had almost 15% of the amount of historically bad pitching single season performances from our entire franchise's history, in ONE season. And if Millone and Flexen had enough IP to reach 50, they'd be on this list too.

That stat to me was absolutely mind-blowing when I saw it.

Here's what I would do to fix this team in four moves.

1.) Sign Mike Moustakas and tell David Wright to retire. Thus we obtain a middle of the order bat and fix our problem at 3B, in one move.
2.) Sign 2 of this group to eat innings behind Thor, deGrom, and which ever combination of Matz, Harvey, and Wheeler doesn't completely suck ass. (Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb, Estrada, Tillman).
3.) Trade Nimmo and spare parts for a decent pen arm. Lagares can hold down CF by himself. You also know they're going to bring back Aoki on the cheap, which is fine if Conforto misses time to start the season. He's a good 4th OF on a competing team.
4.) Sign Joe McEwing as manager.

Lineup:
Rosario
Conforto
Moustakas
Cespedes
Smith
Cabrera
Lagares
d'Arnaud

Rotation:
Thor
deGrom
Lynn
Tillman
Matz/Harvey/Lugo/Wheeler

Bullpen:
Gsellman
Smoker
Guy #1 acquired in trade/salary dump this year
Decent pen arm acquired in Nimmo trade
Blevens
Ramos
Familia

That's actually a pretty good lineup. But of course, none of these moves will even happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom