Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

I just wrapped up a project with them 5 years after a local housing development they built was completed. It took 5 years of threats and holding securities to get NVR/Ryan to fix all of the road, drainage and homeowners association problems they caused.

Get ready, they are planning to re-enter the market due to micron.

I don’t care who the builder is, the only quality you get out of new homes are the trim, flooring, kitchen and bath packages. All the framing, Sheetrock, flooring, mep and roofing contractors are mostly the same. For example, Res-Com owns the HVAC and electrical in most Ryan, JMG, Eldan, Marc Anthony, Cornerstone and I believe Hertiage new builds. As with most contractors, relationships and lowest bidder get the job…typically lowest bidder. If anyone is looking to build a home, GC it yourself. Put out for bid packages and already know what you want for your house, ie; flooring, kitchen, bath, utilities. You could save close to $100k. Most builders will sell you a house plan for $3k-5k. I know a few people that have gone this route recently and glad they did it this way.

If anyone is looking to build a home, GC it yourself. Put out for bid packages and already know what you want for your house, ie; flooring, kitchen, bath, utilities. You could save close to $100k. Most builders will sell you a house plan for $3k-5k. I know a few people that have gone this route recently and glad they did it this way.
That's a pretty aggressive suggestion. You can GC it, but you need the expertise of knowing the ins and outs of construction, lots of available time to be able to manage and supervise the process of hiring your subs and securing your product, and last but not least, a cast iron stomach to not end up in jail when the people you hire don't show up or have a completely different timeline than you.

Most of these companies can't hire good people, and the ones that are the most reputable are so far backlogged that they might not be interested in a single home project.

Get ready, they are planning to re-enter the market due to micron.
I have not heard this, problem with NVR or Ryan homes was the pace of land development and having buildable lots. I don’t see this changing due to the challenges it takes to get anything approved in the towns. There is not enough inventory for them to re
-enter and it’s unlikely there will be enough lots for the foreseeable future. It’s a huge problem for sure.

That's a pretty aggressive suggestion. You can GC it, but you need the expertise of knowing the ins and outs of construction, lots of available time to be able to manage and supervise the process of hiring your subs and securing your product, and last but not least, a cast iron stomach to not end up in jail when the people you hire don't show up or have a completely different timeline than you.

Most of these companies can't hire good people, and the ones that are the most reputable are so far backlogged that they might not be interested in a single home project.
Most banks won’t let you GC your own build, if you can pay for it in cash go for it.

I have not heard this, problem with NVR or Ryan homes was the pace of land development and having buildable lots. I don’t see this changing due to the challenges it takes to get anything approved in the towns. There is not enough inventory for them to re
-enter and it’s unlikely there will be enough lots for the foreseeable future. It’s a huge problem for sure.

My understanding was that their exit was caused by the confluence of three factors:

Macro forces involving CAFO requirements indirectly stacking the decks against residential builders (home prices couldn't support the increased land cost driven by ag demand).

Suburban towns' resistance.

Slow absorption.

#1 isn't changing, but I think other factors might tip the balance back toward developer. Inventory's so tight now, in part due to higher interest rates. Presumably this would solve the absorption problem (in the right location, even without the right product). As far as the towns, we know the County's leaning on everyone to build housing. Jury's out on how effective that might be (the $5,000/unit carrot being offered is pretty meager, but maybe the county exec has a stick to wield as well).

Ryan homes are absolute garbage, iv worked on a lot of them.
I've heard. I bought a house built by David Weekley in Florida. For a volume builder they do a good house. Their customer service was excellent on warranty service.

My understanding was that their exit was caused by the confluence of three factors:

Macro forces involving CAFO requirements indirectly stacking the decks against residential builders (home prices couldn't support the increased land cost driven by ag demand).

Suburban towns' resistance.

Slow absorption.

#1 isn't changing, but I think other factors might tip the balance back toward developer. Inventory's so tight now, in part due to higher interest rates. Presumably this would solve the absorption problem (in the right location, even without the right product). As far as the towns, we know the County's leaning on everyone to build housing. Jury's out on how effective that might be (the $5,000/unit carrot being offered is pretty meager, but maybe the county exec has a stick to wield as well).
Yes all related to scale, they need a certain number to make it worth their while, they cant get it here, yet.

I agree, And to expand on this, the timing of the various construction phases and their subsequent inspections (foundation, rough-in, plumbing, electrical, drywall, etc.) is critical. All it takes is one hold-up to place the entire project in limbo. A GC typically does a lot of business with various sub-contractors and home inspectors so they have leverage that a one-off home builder does not.

I agree, And to expand on this, the timing of the various construction phases and their subsequent inspections (foundation, rough-in, plumbing, electrical, drywall, etc.) is critical. All it takes is one hold-up to place the entire project in limbo. A GC typically does a lot of business with various sub-contractors and home inspectors so they have leverage that a one-off home builder does not.
Exactly and if you live in a town with tough building inspectors, you need someone who already has a working relationship with them

I don’t care who the builder is, the only quality you get out of new homes are the trim, flooring, kitchen and bath packages. All the framing, Sheetrock, flooring, mep and roofing contractors are mostly the same. For example, Res-Com owns the HVAC and electrical in most Ryan, JMG, Eldan, Marc Anthony, Cornerstone and I believe Hertiage new builds. As with most contractors, relationships and lowest bidder get the job…typically lowest bidder. If anyone is looking to build a home, GC it yourself. Put out for bid packages and already know what you want for your house, ie; flooring, kitchen, bath, utilities. You could save close to $100k. Most builders will sell you a house plan for $3k-5k. I know a few people that have gone this route recently and glad they did it this way.
I built with heritage prior to covid. They let us select pretty much anything extra we wanted on our own. I have zero complaints. The house we built is already worth 200k more than what we built it for. They are a small company and their project manager(Larry) was great to work with.

Rescom is garbage also absolute hacks I wanna barf when I see their installs. They’re cheap and comical. Let’s just slap this furnace in and run a bunch of flex duct through the house lol.

Rescom is garbage also absolute hacks I wanna barf when I see their installs. They’re cheap and comical. Let’s just slap this furnace in and run a bunch of flex duct through the house lol.
Flex Duct is standard down in Texas and Florida. Do they use something different in New builds in CNY?

I remember playing it as a 9 hole course. Yeah it wasn't that special of a course.
It is in a wetland. They are going to have major troubles getting rid of all the water when it rains, especially in the spring. There is no place for it to go.

I hope anyone who buys there really likes mosquitoes a lot.

It is in a wetland. They are going to have major troubles getting rid of all the water when it rains, especially in the spring. There is no place for it to go.

Depends on what they do with it.

They obviously have plans, but I think those plans depend on how things shake out

My old boss started a project and had lots of water. He changed the project to waterfront property and made a lot of money

Last edited:
My old boss started a project and had lots of water. He changed the project to waterfront property and made a lot of money
Does your old boss work for LuthorCorp?

6804DB3C-6716-41E5-9022-6ACAD176F381.jpeg