Mike Hopkins is our next coach... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins is our next coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dixon went to TCU, his alma mater, in the bevo...not vcu at wherever.

Wright might've come here before last year, now I don't think he will.

theres a bigger job still out there for him. dook, unc...

Duke's going to go in house as well. Might be someone at another school, might be Capel.

UNC is going to be a cluster once the NCAA hammer hits. Not sure thats a better job that Syracuse if that happens.

Buzz has really turned around VT, almost no reason for him to leave the situation. He's in the same conference, he's in a good regional recruiting area, and he is on his way of creating a great legacy at VT. All of that is without going to a team that may be in a bit of a tailspin, I don't even see him coming here.

Hell, Dixon went from Pitt to VCU.

If Buzz were to look at the two situations he would see a much higher ceiling for success at Syracuse than at VT. VT is in a great recruiting area but I think you could make a pretty strong argument Syracuse holds more weight in the DMV than VT does. Not to mention he'll have great access to NY/NJ, Philly, and NE prep schools as well.

I don't think he would be discouraged if we were trending down when he took over either. I mean he just took over Va Tech and felt he could turn them around and our profile is much better.

But, if we can't get the head basketball coach at VT to leave and come here to take over our program, that 24 months ago many thought was a no brainer top 6-8 program in the country, than we have bigger problems than we realize.

we have lots of evidence on the table that Syracuse University will not "open the checkbook" for a high profile coach.

We all know that football is the driving force in any P5 Athletic Department. Syracuse has had 4 head football coaching searches since 2004, and not once did they even look at a high profile/high cost national name.

Additionally, they knew that the head coach of their signature basketball program was approaching retirement, but chose not to keep the option open for a national search, instead going cheap for another local family guy who would accept the hometown discount.

The evidence is pretty clear that this athletic department will not spend commensurate with the major P5 programs for coaching talent. Maybe that will change some day, but given the facts on the table there is no reason to expect it.

If Buzz were to look at the two situations he would see a much higher ceiling for success at Syracuse than at VT. VT is in a great recruiting area but I think you could make a pretty strong argument Syracuse holds more weight in the DMV than VT does. Not to mention he'll have great access to NY/NJ, Philly, and NE prep schools as well.

I don't think he would be discouraged if we were trending down when he took over either. I mean he just took over Va Tech and felt he could turn them around and our profile is much better.

But, if we can't get the head basketball coach at VT to leave and come here to take over our program, that 24 months ago many thought was a no brainer top 6-8 program in the country, than we have bigger problems than we realize.

Buzz always struck me as a man with high character, he seems to have a very strong bond with his players. I don't see him leaving them behind.

He just signed an extension through the 22-23 season where he's getting paid 3.3 million by the end of it.

He's in a great situation, there's no reason for him to leave especially with the success he's had.

Hop is our next coach, if he wasn't or he's replaced, I doubt we hire a P5 coach.

Please tell me how my post isn't supporting Hopkins?
Have a nice day.

"If JB stays next year Hop honestly should only get 1 year. I am not giving him 2 years if we have to go thru this year's chit show and next year's obvious chitshow."
Because of that "supportive" statement.

"If JB stays next year Hop honestly should only get 1 year. I am not giving him 2 years if we have to go thru this year's chit show and next year's obvious chitshow."
Because of that "supportive" statement.
Look at our guard situation for next year and tell
me how it isn't a chit show?
You make it sound like I am happy about it when I am pissed about how bleak next year looks.

Buzz always struck me as a man with high character, he seems to have a very strong bond with his players. I don't see him leaving them behind.

He just signed an extension through the 22-23 season where he's getting paid 3.3 million by the end of it.

He's in a great situation, there's no reason for him to leave especially with the success he's had.

Hop is our next coach, if he wasn't or he's replaced, I doubt we hire a P5 coach.

Agree Hop is the next coach and think he's earned the opportunity. I also think JB is making Hop's margin for error smaller and smaller the longer he stays.

You make a lot of valid points. Ultimately, these coaches and Buzz especially are huge competitors and if Buzz thinks that he can go to a situation that gives him a new challenge and chance at huge success I think he would take it. Remember, Buzz was seeing our program up close and personal at its best every year during that 09-13 stretch and knows the potential he can unlock in the program.

Agree Hop is the next coach and think he's earned the opportunity. I also think JB is making Hop's margin for error smaller and smaller the longer he stays.

You make a lot of valid points. Ultimately, these coaches and Buzz especially are huge competitors and if Buzz thinks that he can go to a situation that gives him a new challenge and chance at huge success I think he would take it. Remember, Buzz was seeing our program up close and personal at its best every year during that 09-13 stretch and knows the potential he can unlock in the program.

Wouldn't it be a bigger challenge to do the same thing at VT? He's well on his way to that. His recruiting class this year is excellent as well.

Wouldn't it be a bigger challenge to do the same thing at VT? He's well on his way to that. His recruiting class this year is excellent as well.

The payoff and ceiling here is much higher than there though. It's why coaches leave one program to go to another every offseason.

Yes. Hop was supposed to take over a robust organization that had positive momentum. It looks more and more like he will have to do a major ground up rebuild.

Look at our guard situation for next year and tell
me how it isn't a chit show?
You make it sound like I am happy about it when I am pissed about how bleak next year looks.

No, just the fact that you are only willing to give Hop 1 year. That's the lack of support.

I think Hop WILL get his chance at head coach but I don't think he'll be given much time to prove himself or little room for error. That could be a problem given the scrap heap of a roster he is likely to inherit.

I honestly hope he succeeds, the idea of an alum/former player as head coach sits well with me. With Hopkins moving to head coach we are going to need a serious new recruiting coach, I am surprised that we haven't already added someone in that capacity.

I think Hop WILL get his chance at head coach but I don't think he'll be given much time to prove himself or little room for error. That could be a problem given the scrap heap of a roster he is likely to inherit.

I honestly hope he succeeds, the idea of an alum/former player as head coach sits well with me. With Hopkins moving to head coach we are going to need a serious new recruiting coach, I am surprised that we haven't already added someone in that capacity.

I think he gets 3 years, maybe more if he hits some home runs recruiting.

No, just the fact that you are only willing to give Hop 1 year. That's the lack of support.
If we are going to have 5 sub par regular seasons in a row I would prefer change to the status quo.
Which is why I hope JB retires so Hop can get his honeymoon in a bad year and have his second year be make or break. Hop is an internal hire he doesn't get the rope a new guy on the outside would get.
JB staying another year would be hurting Hopkins he can do it because he is JB but it hurts Hop's chances of being successful.

What would the university and everyone have to do for you to understand the decision has been made. Don't say press conferences because that has already been done. If I got a signed and notarized letter would that do it for you.

Yes of course, duh. No public announcement makes anything set it stone or gospel. Besides, Wildhack may see things differently. Since that announcement there has been a bit of a freefall as of late. One could also say Hopkins knew more than JB about sanctions related issues going on behind the scenes during those times. I just don't think it is set in stone right now.

Hop is an internal hire he doesn't get the rope a new guy on the outside would get.
the babies on this forum aren't going to give any new hire any rope, internal or external hire.

hell, half of you are trying to run a Hall of Famer out the door one bad season after going to a final four.

tough times have exposed this place as more asylum than forum.

Yes. Hop was supposed to take over a robust organization that had positive momentum. It looks more and more like he will have to do a major ground up rebuild.

I wonder if it may end up being a blessing in disguise because he'll be stepping in with a higher tolerance to deviate from the status quo.

Can only imagine how ruffled some would get if we were coming off all those winning seasons then all of a sudden Hop takes over and occasionally switches out of the zone and we lose a game early.

I'm still waiting to hear who are some good assistants that could help with recruiting when Hop takes over. So far we have established who could replace him (no realistic candidates though) and how much time he should have before being fired.

the babies on this forum aren't going to give any new hire any rope, internal or external hire.

hell, half of you are trying to run a Hall of Famer out the door one bad season after going to a final four.

It's not even one bad season yet; it's one game into the conference schedule.

I don't really think it's that. We have a number of posters who choose to ignore the general mediocrity since joining the ACC. Wake me up when we win an ACC Tournament game. I'm too lazy to look it up but a few people have posted our record in the ACC counting the Tyler Ennis team since the 25-0 mirage. That didn't end too well. Our current trajectory is an absolute major concern.

I'm still waiting to hear who are some good assistants that could help with recruiting when Hop takes over. So far we have established who could replace him (no realistic candidates though) and how much time he should have before being fired.

Two names Francis has mentioned that would be good are Mike Mennenga and Herman Harried.

Mennenga has earned a reputation as doing a great job recruiting Canada.

Harried coaches a strong program in Baltimore, can help with our bigs and has helped coach with USA Basketball, the Nike Hoops Summit, the Jordan Classic, the LeBron James Skills Academy and the Chris Paul camp.

I could be mistaken but I think Harried could also be helpful as a no nonsense presence on the staff when Hop takes over. I don't think it's in Hop's nature to be a strict disciplinarian. Not saying it as a knock on Hop, more just as a way Harried may be a good complement to the personalities currently on board.

I wouldn't mind seeing GMac move on to another program to gain further experience as a more senior member of a staff and then bringing these two on board.

I don't really think it's that. We have a number of posters who choose to ignore the general mediocrity since joining the ACC. Wake me up when we win an ACC Tournament game. I'm too lazy to look it up but a few people have posted our record in the ACC counting the Tyler Ennis team since the 25-0 mirage. That didn't end too well. Our current trajectory is an absolute major concern.

we're 32-23 in conference play since coming into the ACC. We came in together with ND and Pitt. ND is aldo 32-23, Pitt is 28-27. We have not had a losing season in the ACC, they have both had one.
The ACC tourney thing is too small a sample to draw any conclusions - we've only played in 2 and lost them by a grand total of 4 points.

yes, our trajectory is a concern, but what I'm reading on this forum is a lot of ungrounded panic and less measured concern

Two names Francis has mentioned that would be good are Mike Mennenga and Herman Harried.

Mennenga has earned a reputation as doing a great job recruiting Canada.

Harried coaches a strong program in Baltimore, can help with our bigs and has helped coach with USA Basketball, the Nike Hoops Summit, the Jordan Classic, the LeBron James Skills Academy and the Chris Paul camp.

I could be mistaken but I think Harried could also be helpful as a no nonsense presence on the staff when Hop takes over. I don't think it's in Hop's nature to be a strict disciplinarian. Not saying it as a knock on Hop, more just as a way Harried may be a good complement to the personalities currently on board.

I wouldn't mind seeing GMac move on to another program to gain further experience as a more senior member of a staff and then bringing these two on board.
Where did Herman Harried go to school? His name sounds familiar for some reason. I'll do anything to get away from this all cuse staff. I think we can all agree that and the zone are the reason we are so bad.

The only way, imo, Hop won't get the job is if somehow we get investigated again for potential violations. At that point, everyone has to go and we need a brand new staff.

Assuming that won't happen (and I have no reason to think otherwise), I hope Hop becomes the coach and becomes wildly successful, but we can't back out on him now, for better or worse.

I'm less concerned about Hop being open to change than him being set up to be successful right off the bat. Our recruiting really needs to be improved, quickly, to get us on the right footing, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.