Mike Hopkins is our next coach... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins is our next coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not verbal. That's where you're mistaken. If you want to move on from Hopkins, a buyout would be involved.
You can't say I didn't warn you about starting this thread. :rolleyes:

o'sully33 said:
Two names Francis has mentioned that would be good are Mike Mennenga and Herman Harried. Mennenga has earned a reputation as doing a great job recruiting Canada. Harried coaches a strong program in Baltimore, can help with our bigs and has helped coach with USA Basketball, the Nike Hoops Summit, the Jordan Classic, the LeBron James Skills Academy and the Chris Paul camp. I could be mistaken but I think Harried could also be helpful as a no nonsense presence on the staff when Hop takes over. I don't think it's in Hop's nature to be a strict disciplinarian. Not saying it as a knock on Hop, more just as a way Harried may be a good complement to the personalities currently on board. I wouldn't mind seeing GMac move on to another program to gain further experience as a more senior member of a staff and then bringing these two on board.

Doubtful on harried. I suggested him a couple times before then I found out the worry is his laid back personality and doubts on his ability/energy to recruit. Louie Orr part deux.

This is where I am. Honestly, I wish Wildhack and Syverud had been at SU for a few years before the sanctions were handed down and could have shortened the transition period from almost 4 years to 1. Hop doesn't have control of the staff (as in who goes and who stays) and he is trying to recruit for guys who will eventually play on his team. So it must be difficult to get the players he wants and who can still play for JAB. It's just kind of messy.
Meh. JB is fine. This team is snakebit.

How many players have nagging injuries; not bad enough to sit out but bad enough to affect their play? DC and Lydon for two. Then Chukwu actually has a MAJOR INJURY which sounds DREADFUL. I've been in and out of the hospitalS, three of them, more times than I can count now and I'm STILL not going to be in the AGONY it's described that he will. That leaves freshman Taurean as a big, no?

I'm not even going to get into the G/F positions. The problems to the C/F spots should be sufficient to see, if you have an ounce of common sense, that this is just gonna be a down season.

Suck it up fellas. I say fellas cause I don't see my sister posters here "beeyotching" a fraction as much as the men do, and not just cause we are outnumbered either.

What about Dave Rice. Know he's never worked off the west coast but he is pretty amazing when it comes to recruiting and has some great ties.
He had some really good assistants that was able to get him some high level talent over at UNLV, where he did a poor job coaching them up imo.

He had some really good assistants that was able to get him some high level talent over at UNLV, where he did a poor job coaching them up imo.

Awful coach for sure, his brother is the HC over at Bishop Gorman which seems to have somebody in the top 100 every year.

Everything you just said should have applied to Gerry McNamara after the 2012 season.
I'm inclined to think that a couple of seasons after the transition either Autry or GMac should move on and two seasons later the other should. With a mind to possibly succeeding Hop someday, though that's more likely for really a candidate younger than either.

I don't mind keeping two assistants in house and one from a good program, maybe a non power 5 school who was an excellent player who played at least abroad for a while if not in the NBA, in the future to provide some outside perspective.

Also I would recommend an upper limit of 6-8 seasons for each assistant. It's only fair to them to get the HC experience. We will have a bumper crop to choose from then when Hop says it's time to do something different with his life.

PS Anyone who wears Orange at some point will be family. Look at Paulus. I DESPISED that weasel as a Dookie. But darned if he wasn't quite a decent QB for us. He did very well for someone who predominantly played another sport for 4 years.

Last edited:
I think you're overstating that, due to the new AD. Nobody is going to hold it against a new AD if they go bring in their candidate, instead of getting handcuffed by a deal negotiated so long ago most people can't even remember when it was committed to paper.

Again, I love Hopkins. I will actively root for him to succeed as hard as I ever have for Boeheim. I'm not rooting for him NOT to get hired. But would I PREFER for SU to go get a national caliber, established coach to succeed Boeheim? Yes--I would.

We've seen numerous examples in recent years about how difficult it is to replace coaching icons in college basketball, and rarely does it go well for the successor. Sometimes, it takes shools two or three subsequent hires [UNC, Indiana, etc.] to eventually right the ship. We've also seen numerous examples of coaches hand picking their replacements [Georgetown with Esherick, Guthridge at UNC] and said replacement making things a lot worse.

I'm not suggesting that Hopkins WILL make things worse; I hope that everything we've heard about the changes he'd implement are true, and that he'd usher in a new era of tremendously successful Syracuse basketball. But the historical odds aren't in his favor.

As for not honoring that deal being a PR disaster--nah. It would garner about 5 minutes of attention on PTI, then be forgotten as soon as somebody writes something salacious on twitter, or Lebron stubs his toe at the grocery store which would quickly ascend to the top story.
Tough noogies boyo. Hop is staying so suck it up and keep yer trap shut till Hop actually IS HC.

Then you can have the pleasure of saying "I told you so" if Hop doesn't win a NC his first season.

Never will happen. Why would he leave?
Wright might leave for a bazillion bucks to straighten out NC. He'd be worth it to try to salvage that Photobucket burning couch of a program, regardless of whether it actually GETS sanctions.

Why do people like Jay Wright so much. I get he won the title last year but before that Nova was one of the most underperforming teams in the tourney for a decade.
Well it's not a P-5 program or even one of the top 3 former BE powers. And his players are scrappy but seldom hateable. He took his time to get his NC like JB did. I'm hoping JB gets one next year when we are less snakebit but who knows.

I'd pee my pants on stage if Hop ends up with two NCs within 10 seasons and JB has the one.

Because sometimes the disciple outdoes the master, grasshoppers.

Why should Boeheim retire? He is not an "old" man in any real sense. This concocted idea of a preordained retirement date and succession with coach in waiting is a contrived scheme put in place by a previous AD. He should remain as long as he wants with no date .

Why should Boeheim retire? He is not an "old" man in any real sense. This concocted idea of a preordained retirement date and succession with coach in waiting is a contrived scheme put in place by a previous AD. He should remain as long as he wants with no date .
It was not 'contrived', it was done to appease the NCAA. And if you think it was the AD that was driving this, you weren't paying attention.

It was not 'contrived', it was done to appease the NCAA. And if you think it was the AD that was driving this, you weren't paying attention.
Here is all I'm saying. If Jim leaves SU, does he get another job at say, Florida Gulf Coast or Coastal Carolina, and take them deep into the Tourney ? Would the NCAA block this?

Tough noogies boyo. Hop is staying so suck it up and keep yer trap shut till Hop actually IS HC.

Then you can have the pleasure of saying "I told you so" if Hop doesn't win a NC his first season.
boyo???? haven't heard that in years!!! i always liked that word. used by victor mclaglen in numerous old movies

Here is all I'm saying. If Jim leaves SU, does he get another job at say, Florida Gulf Coast or Coastal Carolina, and take them deep into the Tourney ? Would the NCAA block this?
What are you talking about? The NCAA did not mandate giving JB 3 more years. Stop changing the argument. You made some false or misunderstood statements in your post. I pointed those out. It was not the AD driving the response. It was not contrived.

Nothing was said about JB leaving/coaching elsewhere/etc. Where did that come from?

i think jim is probably ready to retire anyway. funny it would be great if stayed another two years just stick it to the ncaa!!! however, the ncaa would only stick it to us harder. i am not a hop hc fan. that said we owe him and need to stand by our commitment to him. how long would a legit contract for him be??? 4yrs????

What are you talking about? The NCAA did not mandate giving JB 3 more years. Stop changing the argument. You made some false or misunderstood statements in your post. I pointed those out. It was not the AD driving the response. It was not contrived.

Nothing was said about JB leaving/coaching elsewhere/etc. Where did that come from?
It appears from the outside that his retirement is being pushed forward because people want Hopkins to stay on and be the next coach, which seems like the source of some tension. As far as Jim getting another job, that is just a balloon, but it is hard to imagine a person with as much knowledge he has to offer not being sought out by some schools that I mentioned.

Francis got it. A couple of others. The rest was the typical how can we pray that we get Jay Wright to leave Nova.
No worries, it was still worth it. Some crazy new ground was broken in post #165.

No worries, it was still worth it. Some crazy new ground was broken in post #165.
If I was the president of a school in some sweet retirement location, I would already be schmoozing him.

If I was the president of a school in some sweet retirement location, I would already be schmoozing him.
One could try, but they wouldn't get anywhere. SU was JB's destination job, and he made that clear a long while ago. Anyone who has been paying attention would understand that.

find a quiet little D1 town with nice weather and an easy schedule and just pile up some more W's.

Nothing "tough" about it for me. I'm not anti-Hopkins, despite your asinine insinuation to the contrary.

With regards to keeping my trap shut, I'm entitled to have an opinion, so no thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.