Mike Hopkins is our next coach... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins is our next coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two names Francis has mentioned that would be good are Mike Mennenga and Herman Harried.

Mennenga has earned a reputation as doing a great job recruiting Canada.

Harried coaches a strong program in Baltimore, can help with our bigs and has helped coach with USA Basketball, the Nike Hoops Summit, the Jordan Classic, the LeBron James Skills Academy and the Chris Paul camp.

I could be mistaken but I think Harried could also be helpful as a no nonsense presence on the staff when Hop takes over. I don't think it's in Hop's nature to be a strict disciplinarian. Not saying it as a knock on Hop, more just as a way Harried may be a good complement to the personalities currently on board.

I wouldn't mind seeing GMac move on to another program to gain further experience as a more senior member of a staff and then bringing these two on board.
I was joking. If I remember right he was in Boeheim on Basketball. Which I still own on VHS.

I wasn't going to post this but in the spirit of people posting rumors about team chemistry and the like, I figured why not.

A guy I know (friend of a friend) sat next to one of the program's biggest boosters at MSG for the UConn game. They were literally right behind Dino Babers in the second row. The booster donated the court at the Melo Center. He's big time. The booster told the guy I know very matter-of-factly that Hopkins will not be the next head coach. He said we will go after a big name coach. Now again, this doesn't mean much but this wasn't some random guy. It's a booster who has access at the highest level of SU athletics. No clue if it is accurate; in fact, I think it's b.s. Hopkins has a contract. That said, I thought it was an interesting nugget in lieu of all of this speculation.

we're 32-23 in conference play since coming into the ACC. We came in together with ND and Pitt. ND is aldo 32-23, Pitt is 28-27. We have not had a losing season in the ACC, they have both had one.
The ACC tourney thing is too small a sample to draw any conclusions - we've only played in 2 and lost them by a grand total of 4 points.

yes, our trajectory is a concern, but what I'm reading on this forum is a lot of ungrounded panic and less measured concern

ND is a peer program?

I wasn't going to post this but in the spirit of people posting rumors about team chemistry and the like, I figured why not.

A guy I know (friend of a friend) sat next to one of the program's biggest boosters at MSG for the UConn game. They were literally right behind Dino Babers in the second row. The booster donated the court at the Melo Center. He's big time. The booster told the guy I know very matter-of-factly that Hopkins will not be the next head coach. He said we will go after a big name coach. Now again, this doesn't mean much but this wasn't some random guy. It's a booster who has access at the highest level of SU athletics. No clue if it is accurate; in fact, I think it's b.s. Hopkins has a contract. That said, I thought it was an interesting nugget in lieu of all of this speculation.
Trust your info and I don't want Mike Hopkins as the next HC but he is going to be the next HC.
Boeheim deserves consideration for all the hometown discounts. I don't give Hopkins a long leash but he gets the job.
This like Eddie Sutton at Oklahoma State. His son Sean Sutton was his replacement and was given 2 years.

Thanks. Now this thread will go to 20 pages.

I know worse news would have made you happier, but it's the best I can do

Can't answer the question? Is ND a peer program? Then you can cite that it's ok that we're this bad. Stop deflecting.

Trust your info and I don't want Mike Hopkins as the next HC but he is going to be the next HC.
Boeheim deserves consideration for all the hometown discounts. I don't give Hopkins a long leash but he gets the job.
This like Eddie Sutton at Oklahoma State. His son Sean Sutton was his replacement and was given 2 years.

Yeah the guy who told me couldn't care less about SU one way or the other, so he didn't make it up. The booster said it. I doubt Hopkins is not the next coach. He wouldn't stick around to be passed over and he has a contract.

Short leash for sure. 2-3 years. Tops.

Sweet jesus. I'm putting the over/under on responses from Alsacs and Sobecuse at 5 minutes.

I love Mike Hopkins, and appreciate all that he's done for the program as BOTH a player and a head coach. And I am encouraged by the reports that he's going to bring a different style of play on both sides of the ball -- because those are changes that I believe [M.O.O.] that the program needs to see implemented. He's patiently waited his turn, has passed up opportunities to leave, and deserves his chance.

What doesn't sit well with me, though, is that he is a totally unproven commodity. This is an elite program, that could and should attract elite candidates to replace a HOF coaching icon. We should not have somebody who has to learn on the job being handed the reins.

Nothing against Hopkins, but I'd love to see us conduct a national search and hire the best candidate. I agree that it probably wouldn't happen, though.

As for the ramifications of reneging on the deal, I don't think that there would be many, if any. We have a new AD. The old AD is the one who negotiated the succession plan. Things change--happens all the time in sports. So while I'd feel personally bad for Hopkins getting burned under those circumstances, I don't think that it would impact our ability to attract high quality, high major candidates for the job in the slightest if that were to occur.
RF Me and you see so eye to eye regarding this next decision that I do not even have to say anything. Spot on.

I pray this is true.

I don't know a booster that is saying this but I will say that one of my good friends has been an assistant coach at multiple places over the last 10-15 years. Smaller division 1 schools on the west coast. His uncle went to Syracuse and is really good friends with Jim Boeheim, they graduated the same year and he still talks to him on a monthly basis and sees him just about every summer. I asked him about Hop making it as coach and this was like 2 years ago. He told me that he asked his uncle about that and his uncle said, "Mike isn't going to be able to do it. I don't think he will fail badly but he won't last. He doesn't have it in him to do it. Jim can't see it because he loves Mike too much." I'm not saying I agree with it but there are probably a lot of people out there who feel this way. I will be rooting for Mike and I believe he can do it.

Sweet jesus. I'm putting the over/under on responses from Alsacs and Sobecuse at 5 minutes.
If you don't like my posts do yourself a favor and block me. Posts like this do absolutely no good but to make it about the poster which I don't do.
Read the damn disclaimer at the bottom of post or get over it.

I'm not friends with either. But I do know Severud made it public last summer that Hop was the next coach.
Team wasnt in the position they are in currently. Potential bottom 3 finish in the ACC with recruiting blatantly becoming weaker. While Hopkins clearly is not to blame for this, the recruiting/development of players he absolutely is.

If you don't like my posts do yourself a favor and block me. Posts like this do absolutely no good but to make it about the poster which I don't do.
It was a joke. Iommi's post reaffirms the thoughts of people who don't want Hopkins to take over which I think you and sobecuse are some of the most vocal about.

I was genuinely on the fence about posting what I did. My hesitancy is reflected in the large lag time between me getting the info and posting it. I actually even typed it, deleted it and then typed it again. And to be clear, it doesn't reflect my opinion on what will happen. Even if it's not true, I still find that interesting. Let's say Hopkins is 100% the next guy, as many of us believe, why would a huge booster have a different impression? You'd think if you were donating millions to a program, you'd want to have an accurate picture of the program's direction.

Chill. Nothing bad was said about you.

You (nor any other poster) don't get to tell other posters what they can and cannot post. And it's not as if you have been shy about posting about Hop. ;)

It was a joke. Iommi's post reaffirms the thoughts of people who don't want Hopkins to take over which I think you and sobecuse are some of the most vocal about.

Christ. My sentiment is more that it is NOT set in stone. I don't give a damn about a verbal promise/loyalty/public address. That all means dick. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. I just want due diligence to be done and for them to consider all options. If they decide on Hopkins then fine and I will get behind it 100%. But nobody can convince me that it is an automatic done deal. I'd be shocked if Wildhack didn't reach out and gauge interest among the big name coaches, young or old, who could potentially be interested.

Christ. My sentiment is more that it is NOT set in stone. I don't give a damn about a verbal promise/loyalty/public address. That all means dick. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. I just want due diligence to be done and for them to consider all options. If they decide on Hopkins then fine and I will get behind it 100%. But nobody can convince me that it is an automatic done deal. I'd be shocked if Wildhack didn't reach out and gauge interest among the big name coaches, young or old, who could potentially be interested.
My impression was that you wanted someone with head coaching experience and who was more established and would implement some new things (more m2m, better offense etc.). I guess I was wrong about that.

Can't answer the question? Is ND a peer program? Then you can cite that it's ok that we're this bad. Stop deflecting.
I thought it was a non sequitor and not deserving of an answer . . . but yes, of course they are a peer. every conference mate is a peer .

I thought it was a non sequitor and not deserving of an answer . . . but yes, of course they are a peer. every conference mate is a peer .

I guess I have higher standards then.

My impression was that you wanted someone with head coaching experience and who was more established and would implement some new things (more m2m, better offense etc.). I guess I was wrong about that.

You're right. I just have been more vocal I suppose about the process and how I don't believe for one second it is set in stone. I'll get behind whoever is chosen.

You're right. I just have been more vocal I suppose about the process and how I don't believe for one second it is set in stone. I'll get behind whoever is chosen.

It's not verbal. That's where you're mistaken. If you want to move on from Hopkins, a buyout would be involved.

Personally I don't know anything. I do know that several well respected posters on this board who are right about a lot of things recruiting and otherwise have said there is little chance we will rip up the contract. There are even posts on it in other threads on this board that have been made recently. Not sure why people keep coming back to ripping up the contract, because I trust the posters that say it won't happen. That's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is how does Mike Hopkins succeed here.

Not even the most trustworthy poster could predict that one way or the other. As a couple other posters could attest, Syverud is not above breaching a contract.

In this case, hopefully all the good reasons you cited elsewhere carry the day. I don't know if Hopkins will be a good coach, but he's been promised the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom