Mike Lindsley is reporting the MCW "story" | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Lindsley is reporting the MCW "story"

I cant imagine trying to fit $160 worth of into my pockets lol... I mean, slim jims are what, $1? Where in the heck would I put 160 of them?
a bottle of perfume and a set of earrings would do it . . . hell, maybe just one or the other, depending on how upscale the store is

I'd call Twitter Girl this story's version of Deep Throat, but we simply don't know enough to determine whether that would be a factual nickname at this time.

I read it a little differently; just thought it was complimentary of Mike. Maybe I read it that way because I feel the same way. From what I hear, he's a good kid.

Fair enough. Maybe I read it wrong. We'll agree to disagree.

The one point I need to bring up from your post was, again, I explained the alum thing. When you are on campus, you hear a lot of stories that you didnt use to see online or in print. That was my only point. I wasn't suggesting that someone is less of a fan or anything, just that students have a more in-depth access to the team in some ways, good and bad.

I will second the "you hear a lot more when you are on campus" thing, because chances increase you either have a class with certain athletes, go to the same parties, or simply know people who know them or whatever.

Fair enough. Maybe I read it wrong. We'll agree to disagree.

The one point I need to bring up from your post was, again, I explained the alum thing. When you are on campus, you hear a lot of stories that you didnt use to see online or in print. That was my only point. I wasn't suggesting that someone is less of a fan or anything, just that students have a more in-depth access to the team in some ways, good and bad.

You're right; I understand. The closer you get to the program, the more bad things you learn.

I work security and where I work security is responsible of doing a full police report of petite or grand larceny when someone is found guilty. If not its just a customer being questioned which is no more then a store log.

Lindsey is a jerk for spreading rumors with lack of knowledge . Basically Lindsey is doing a second investigation while knowing no charges were filed. Lindsey shouldn't use any word higher then questioned or that might be legal terms for harrasment.

We wouldn't take anyone into custody without full knowledge it is a crime though, that would be a step closer to opening up grounds to sue. My guess would be if hands were put on MCW it was more then a common security officer. MCW was questioned not arrested. I guess Lindsey feels its HIS buisness.

I joined this site just to tell you guys what I know and what I saw. From looking at the other comments I can see that most won't believe me, but I work at Lord and Taylor and I witnessed it all. Mcw DID steal from Lord and Taylor. He had a backpack full of ralph lauren clothes. But, he was NOT arrested, somehow. I see plenty of shoplifters get caught and this is one of the rare occasions that the police were not involved. Lord and Taylor's security has every right to apprehend a potential shoplifter. Unforunately, it was no misunderstanding. Clothes were stuffed into his backpack. He commited a crime

Honestly, his post came off like "I thought MCW was one of the good ones" and thought it was really out of line.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are suggesting I was being *racist* to express disappointment that a student who until now has had a stellar reputation might have been involved in an attempted theft at the mall.

If so, I disagree even that it *appears* racist. Why would an alum NOT be disappointed by any high-profile player being involved in such an incident? My reaction and words would have been the same for any player regardless of his ethnic and cultural background, if the context and incident were otherwise essentially the same.

I joined this site just to tell you guys what I know and what I saw. From looking at the other comments I can see that most won't believe me, but I work at Lord and Taylor and I witnessed it all. Mcw DID steal from Lord and Taylor. He had a backpack full of ralph lauren clothes. But, he was NOT arrested, somehow. I see plenty of shoplifters get caught and this is one of the rare occasions that the police were not involved. Lord and Taylor's security has every right to apprehend a potential shoplifter. Unforunately, it was no misunderstanding. Clothes were stuffed into his backpack. He commited a crime
Maybe true. I don't know. Interesting you use the exact same wording as the other newly-minted poster who is 'in the know'...

Did he walk out of the store?

Yes he did. After a few hours. I am pretty sure he paid for the merchandise, but not 100%

I meant with the merchandise in his backpack. If he wasn't able to leave the store, then I don't know that a crime was committed.

I meant with the merchandise in his backpack. If he wasn't able to leave the store, then I don't know that a crime was committed.
Your right about that. I don't work in loss prevention, I don't know. All I know is what I was told and was I saw

Your right about that. I don't work in loss prevention, I don't know. All I know is what I was told and was I saw
Two things:
(1) As a student in the 80's, I had a similar situation to this. It involved 3 SI magazines worth a total of $4.50 (1980's prices) at a gas station on S. Salina where I worked part-time. Its a long story, but I never "thought" I was doing anything wrong. Yet, I was cuffed, detained, & taken downtown to explain myself. Still, I had to retain SU Legal services and eventually all charges were dismissed.
(2) The issue became a potential misdemeanor petty larceny charge, once I walked out the front door after my shift with the 3 mags still in my backpack. BEFORE that, I was legally "in the right" so-to-speak.
Point being that if MCW had items in his possession, he would definitely need to exit the premises in order to commit a crime. (lawyers?)
Additionally, unless the laws have changed, any amount over $100 is considered a felony(?)- and its doubtful he'd be released.
Finally, unless MCW is the dumbest kid on earth then he must've had a VERY GOOD EXPLANATION to avoid being charged. Everyone knows who he is and to even attempt to shoplift, let alone being released after getting caught, would not likely remain quiet...twitter account or not.
Curiouser and curiouser.

Point being that if MCW had items in his possession, he would definitely need to exit the premises in order to commit a crime. (lawyers?)
Additionally, unless the laws have changed, any amount over $100 is considered a felony- and its doubtful he'd be released.

I posted a bit about this on the other thread. New York State criminalizes concealment. It's considered an overt act that signifies intent to commit larceny. In practice, most LP won't apprehend unless the suspect exits the store, passing all points of sale without making an attempt to pay for the merchandise. Most DAs won't prosecute and most police won't effect an arrest unless the person exits the store.

The exception is if someone conceals merchandise then makes an attempt to enter a fitting room or restroom. In that case, I'm apprehending the individual with the concealed merchandise because once they enter either of those locations there is an expectation of privacy that makes it impossible to conduct uninterrupted surveillance.

You are correct about $1,000 being the magic dollar amount that turns the matter from a misdemeanor into a felony. There is zero chance that anyone apprehended by store LP staff with that much loot stashed away would be released without charges being filed. And I mean zero chance.

So, the dollar amount distinction is:
(1) petty larceny- <$100,
(2) larceny- between $100-$1000, and
(3) felony- >$1000?

So, the dollar amount distinction is:
(1) petty larceny- <$100,
(2) larceny- between $100-$1000, and
(3) felony- >$1000?

Close. It's either petty larceny or grand larceny. Petty larceny is any dollar amount up to $999.99 and is a misdemeanor. A felony is anything $1,000 or greater.

This whole story is being worked by friends of that shape-shifting Blart. I call BS.

I call BS.

I understand a lot of people want this to be BS, but it seems to be pretty true. Something happened. He isn't going to be charged/he wasn't charged so who cares who reports it.

Similar to the Bernie Fine situation, this will go away. Let it go, getting angry at reporters for talking about it is nonsense and people seem childish. It's what they do, the fact that people are crying because it's not from "legit" sources is funny. Have you seen the media/twitter/bloggers in the past 5 years? They don't need any credible sources to report it and get some clicks on their website.

I understand a lot of people want this to be BS, but it seems to be pretty true. Something happened. He isn't going to be charged/he wasn't charged so who cares who reports it.

Similar to the Bernie Fine situation, this will go away. Let it go, getting angry at reporters for talking about it is nonsense and people seem childish. It's what they do, the fact that people are crying because it's not from "legit" sources is funny. Have you seen the media/twitter/bloggers in the past 5 years? They don't need any credible sources to report it and get some clicks on their website.
I realize you aren't really comparing this to Bernie, but the fact that you'd even put this in the same sentence to begin with, even for the sake of comparison, makes your post pointless.

I realize you aren't really comparing this to Bernie, but the fact that you'd even put this in the same sentence to begin with, even for the sake of comparison, makes your post pointless.

How is it pointless? I'm saying the story will go away just like that did...obviously not on the same scale, but everyone whining on the this site is annoying. Reporters are doing what they do...

Just like Mark Schwarz did...happens guys.