MikeG? somethin up or what | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MikeG? somethin up or what

Agree with those who think something is "off". But I'm not sure it is isolated to G, but he was the most obvious one tonight.

We are 6 games into the season and I'm not sure this team wants to even play with one another. Could be inexperience I suppose.

Cheers,
Neil

Id probably have to rewatch the game before I can agree or disagree, but I'd like to think Boeheim and his staff would recognize it if it is indeed interfering in our play, and then take the proper action necessary to correct the problem. JB has dealt with problems of such nature before, and I'd like to believe he and his staff have the proper experience to right the ship if it needs righting. Players have probably been Boeheimed for much less.

Part 0f G's problem is he is being forced into the backup PG role and he is not suited for that at all. I think that is killing the rest of his game. He's going to have to keep doing it unless JB goes to Bus at backup PG.

That leaves G to backup at the 2 and 3. I'm fine with him backing up at the 2 as Cooney has been brutal. However, I prefer those backup minutes at 3 go to BJ. BJ has only been slightly better than G to this point, but it's obvious his potential is much higher.

He has not been the same since missing that first game. Tonight at the end was just OFF no other way to descripbe that.

What did you see last season to make you think anything was off tonight?

I actually think he has been better this year than last year.

I think it's more of 'not the wes johnson esque transfer some of us (me) were hoping for' than anything else.

So a player hoisting 3's at the end like that seems like a normal occurrence to you?? Might not be a cancer, but that was strange... Well except to you...all sunny and normal.

No... I can't call that a cancer. Maybe just releasing some frustration.

If anyone cares, I included a paragraph in response to this thread in my "The Highside" write up. I rewatched the 2nd half due to this thread, for better or worse.

A player hoisting 3's at the end is not uncommon when the score is stuck on 72 and the crowd is pleading for the free taco that comes with 75 points.
That is exactly it. G was singlehandedly trying to get us Tacos. No doubt about it. The crowd was into the last 2 minutes more than the first 38.

Part 0f G's problem is he is being forced into the backup PG role and he is not suited for that at all. I think that is killing the rest of his game. He's going to have to keep doing it unless JB goes to Bus at backup PG.

That leaves G to backup at the 2 and 3. I'm fine with him backing up at the 2 as Cooney has been brutal. However, I prefer those backup minutes at 3 go to BJ. BJ has only been slightly better than G to this point, but it's obvious his potential is much higher.

I'm sure that is a big part of it. Mentally it's hard to change your mindset when you have the ball...look to pass or be a scorer and often the indecision makes you struggle at both. My feeling watching G is that he needs to have a scorer mentality for him to have his "A" game.

A player hoisting 3's at the end is not uncommon when the score is stuck on 72 and the crowd is pleading for the free taco that comes with 75 points.

Ahh yes this makes sense. It still seems he is indecisive compared to the preseason but I was watching the end thinking what is he doing. I think tacos is a legit answer.

Ahh yes this makes sense. It still seems he is indecisive compared to the preseason but I was watching the end thinking what is he doing. I think tacos is a legit answer.

Maybe he had just watched Gladiator and had paid attention to the advice about winning the crowd? ;)

He was playing in junk time with the "new" walk-on White. He sorta went a little nuts, if you can imagine "icing" the walk-on out. This was fairly egregious, including a 2-on-none break where G ignored the walk-on when he could have set him up for a dunk (more likely layup) and instead dunked it himself. I think I detected a gasp from the crowd on that one. Then G just started jacking 3 pointers every time he touched the ball after that instead of passing to the walk-on for a shot. One of the three's was of NBA distance and totally off-balance, resulting in an airball. It was absolutely odd. It was behavior so counter to everything you see when a walk-on gets in the game that you have to wonder. Half of me thinks G is worried that JB was trying out White as a possible replacement for him! (This may or may not be outlandish since White was the only walk-on inserted into the game with all scholarship players)...

I hadn't seen anything like that since Mookie.

You don't know the player, you are not around the team day in and day out.
There's a poster on here (whose posts I like a lot) that is close to the G situation. I wonder their take on this.

I think you got it! Wow this had the potential to be a never-ending discussion and like most things in life, it just comes down to tacos.

That is exactly it. G was singlehandedly trying to get us Tacos. No doubt about it. The crowd was into the last 2 minutes more than the first 38.
The crowd was into White scoring. That was obvious after "G" didn't feed him for a 2 point layup. The whole place let out a gasp. It surely wasn't for the mundane dunk by "G". White may be the crowd favorite for scoring this year as the designated walk-on hero. We seem to pick one every year and it looks like its White's turn.

I don't think that anything is "up" - he's just not nearly as good a player as we hoped he was.

He looks to be another overhyped Dukie.
I told some friends when he transfered to SU that it was a bad move for our team. Why? Once a Dukie always a Dukie. Silent G is a spy, a CIA agent. He's a plant from Duke used to throw games.

Maybe MG thinks he should be starting or something. He certainly is playing tons of minutes which is really what counts more. From what I have observed he has terrific athleticism but not much of an offensive game. Doesn't have a scorer's mentality to be aggressive. Isn't a very good perimeter shooter and will only take a perimeter shot when he is wide open (which makes his low shooting % seem worse). You can't have a guy on the floor for 30 minutes who scores only 2-4 points unless it's a PG who dishes out 10 assists -- which he isn't.

I thought something was off with Gbinije, but I got that feeling based on how long it took JB to insert him into the game rather than what he did at the end of the game. I didn't think Joseph had a particularly good game. In retrospect his box score stats make it appear that he had a much better game than my eyes told me he had as I was watching.

I thought something was off with Gbinije, but I got that feeling based on how long it took JB to insert him into the game rather than what he did at the end of the game. I didn't think Joseph had a particularly good game. In retrospect his box score stats make it appear that he had a much better game than my eyes told me he had as I was watching.

I'm coming to the conclusion that because Tyler Ennis was so sure handed, in control and pretty much mistake free that my impressions of Joseph are often taken initially on the negative side because of the Ennis backdrop and the way that Kaleb can look kind of shaky even when making a good play. All in all for a freshman PG on a team that so far has shown they can not shoot it he's been a net positive even with the Cal game.

I'm easily Gbinije's biggest supporter.

But idk what the hell was going on last night. He had at least 6 inches on his man. He should be driving, flashing and cutting to the basket. I really can't tell what his role is or whats going on. I was really disappointed last night and I got a good view as I was at the game.

Who the f**k cares if White scores or not? Seriously?

If G wants to jack up 3's in garbage time, he can jack up 3's in garbage time. If he wants to dunk on a fastbreak because he's clearly frustrated with his performance in the game, instead of passing to a walk-on for a layup, he can do that. If it's a problem, Boeheim will pull him. To speculate that he has an issue with his role, or a player, or coaches is ridiculous (the other 'r' word I tried got blocked).

With all the problems this team has in terms of talent level, experience, and knowledge, we're going to complain about a player doing or not doing certain things in the final minutes of a blowout game? Get real.

I'm getting 2002 MeShaun Williams vibes from Silent G.

He has not been the same since missing that first game. Tonight at the end was just OFF no other way to descripbe that.
I have thought the same thing whatever happened to cause him to miss the game he just has not looked like the same player as in the 2 exhibition games. I sure hope he snaps out of it cause this team needs him to be a spark off the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom