minor scheduling news | Syracusefan.com

minor scheduling news

Will Colgate offer enough scholarships by then so the game can count towards bowl eligibility?

They better.

Looks like we're good.

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021312aac.html

"Starting with the class entering school in the fall of 2013, each school will be permitted to award no more than the equivalent of 15 athletic financial aid awards each year to incoming football student-athletes, including transfer student-athletes. The total amount of all countable financial aid awarded to all football student-athletes may not exceed 60 equivalencies in any year."

By 2016 they'll be up to 60 scholarships.

Looks like we're good.

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021312aac.html

"Starting with the class entering school in the fall of 2013, each school will be permitted to award no more than the equivalent of 15 athletic financial aid awards each year to incoming football student-athletes, including transfer student-athletes. The total amount of all countable financial aid awarded to all football student-athletes may not exceed 60 equivalencies in any year."

By 2016 they'll be up to 60 scholarships.

As we have discussed many times on this board, it is much better to play Colgate than someone like Wagner, Villanova or Maine. At least Colgate will bring some fans and at least we have some tradition with the Red Roosters (better name than what they are currently using; I offer it free of charge as a welcome back present).

red roosters is new to me.

agree with Tom, im more than cool with colgate.

its too bad cornell is not an option as well.

As we have discussed many times on this board, it is much better to play Colgate than someone like Wagner, Villanova or Maine. At least Colgate will bring some fans and at least we have some tradition with the Red Roosters (better name than what they are currently using; I offer it free of charge as a welcome back present).

On behalf of Colgate, we'll take it!

Colgate makes so much sense. They will take less $$$ as there is very little travel cost. The kickoff time could even be adjusted much later in the scheduling cycle too. I would be in favor of playing Colgate fairly often in September.

Colgate makes so much sense. They will take less $$$ as there is very little travel cost. The kickoff time could even be adjusted much later in the scheduling cycle too. I would be in favor of playing Colgate fairly often in September.

It's such a natural D-IAA opponent.

For the 2010 game, I had a number of friends travel to Syracuse for the weekend. There were a number of Colgate tailgates; several Greek-letter organizations bused students up for the game.

If we want to draw for the cupcake game, Colgate's the way to go.

There should be a lot of buzz for that game. Believe it or not, we have a chance to tie up the all time series!

red roosters is new to me.

agree with Tom, im more than cool with colgate.

its too bad cornell is not an option as well.

Could cornell play as a Div 1 school with no scholies if they wanted too and if they did would they still not count ?

Could cornell play as a Div 1 school with no scholies if they wanted too and if they did would they still not count ?
From my understanding...Cuse could play Cornell but the win can't be used towards bowl eligibility. Cornell would be another "no-brainer" save for that fact.

From my understanding...Cuse could play Cornell but the win can't be used towards bowl eligibility. Cornell would be another "no-brainer" save for that fact.
Syracuse would have to be at a point where 6 (likely 7) wins were a given...and then put them on the schedule for their arsewhoopin. (we need to close the season series gap :bang:)

if there was an exception to the rule, 1 where you could count 1 team every few years in this, im sure shady would have had rutgers play princeton for the cheap W.

I like it. But when can we get Army on the sched? I miss them

Yeah, it is rare for Ivy League schools to play FBS teams. Yale is on Army's schedule in the near future, but that's about it.

I think the Ivy's have an in-house rule which prevents them from playing FBS teams.

I think the Ivy's have an in-house rule which prevents them from playing FBS teams.

According to this not only is Army playing Yale next season but they are playing in New Haven. I have never heard of an FBS team playing at an FCS team. And an Ivy, no less.

I like the games with Colgate . It has some tradition,and as a side note. Growing up in Utica,dad took us to plenty of Colgate games. It was easy to get to,fun for us kids,and easy on dad's wallet.,,

I like the games with Colgate . It has some tradition,and as a side note. Growing up in Utica,dad took us to plenty of Colgate games. It was easy to get to,fun for us kids,and easy on dad's wallet.,,
Ted Gregory would probably disagree with you. ;)

orange79 said:
Ted Gregory would probably disagree with you. ;)

That was 100% on Mac.

orange79 said:
Totally agree. Silly for him to be playing at that point.

What was it? Something like 50-0 at the time?

What was it? Something like 50-0 at the time?
Yeah, something like that - the game had been out of reach forever. There was absolutely no reason (other than piling up points for a blowout to impress the poll voters) for anyone but the 3rd-stringers to be in there.

Sports People; Gregory Still Uncertain

Published: December 29, 1987

Ted Gregory, Syracuse's star nose guard, said yesterday that he would see how his injured knee reacts to contact before he decides whether to play against Auburn in the Sugar Bowl on Friday.

''I'm not going to play if I don't feel 100 percent,'' Gregory said, alluding to the injury that sent him to the sideline halfway through the seventh game of the season. ''I don't want to be carried off the field. I've had that happen before and I felt it took something out of the defense.''

Gregory's injury, which occurred against Colgate, required surgery. In spite of his absence, the Orangemen finished the season with an 11-0 record.

''I just hope and pray you can watch him play on Friday,'' said Coach Dick MacPherson. ''If there's an impact player on defense in these United States, it's Ted Gregory.''

Photo of Ted Gregory (AP)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom