More brutal officiating in the Heat/Celtics series | Syracusefan.com

More brutal officiating in the Heat/Celtics series

samspann1

Living Legend
Clotheslines are legal, at least when the Celtics are the recipients.

Wade has been flopping around like a fish tonight.

The NBA has a real credibility issue IMO.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Funny how rarely Wade and James are in foul trouble during the post-season.

foul and FT differentials are pretty significant.

The NBA owned New Orleans franchise wins the lottery with a 13.7% chance.

That non-foul on Rondo resulting in a 5-4 dunk for Miami completely changed OT. How do you miss that foul!?

That non-foul on Rondo resulting in a 5-4 dunk for Miami completely changed OT. How do you miss that foul!?

I really don't know how that was missed. Makes you wonder...

Meanwhile, James with 24 FTs, and the entire Celtics team had 29. Wade chipped in with 11 FTs.

Nobodies mad. Its just humorous how with 1:30 left in OT, tie game, Rondo with the ball, he drives down the lane and gets smacked in the face blatantly by Wade. He then misses the layup and gets up slowly resulting in a 5-4 break for Miami, easy dunk, 4 point swing. Miami by 2 when everyone in the arena knew Rondo should be at the line. I understand calls are missed but that was a brutal missed call in a bigtime spot. The NBA and people like Colin Cowherd can dismiss people who question the legitimacy of the sport all they want (and they are probably correct) but when you miss a call like that and LBJ/Wade live at the line all game, then you give fuel to the fire. Add in Wade karate kicking Garnett for an And1 and you can see how people laugh at the late game officiating. *For the record I dont have a problem with the Wade And1, but in the theme of Miami getting calls, it adds up.

But...but...but...they suspended Haslem! Yea ok, they had to.

People keep making a big deal about the officiating because they hate the heat and want to see hem lose, so when some calls go in the heats favor there are overreactions. I don't remember seeing threads started when Philly was killed by the refs in the 4th quarter in Boston in game 5. Or when Leon powe show more ft's than the entire laker team in the finals a few years ago. The way the NBA works is the home team always gets the benefit of officiating. It's the same in pretty much every level of competitive big time basketball. The rondo call was a bad no call, but I hope you aren't seriously suggesting wade should've been called for an offensive foul on that play. The clerics didn't shoot a lot of ft's because they didn't attack the basket as much as wade and LeBron who are usually aggressive and very strong/athletic. Rondo attacked the basket and other than the real bad no call he got to the line pretty well, Pierce attacked the basket in the third and got to the line, other than that Boston is older and not very athletic and have to settle for jumpshots off Rondo dribble penetration and breakdowns. Boston was actually called for less fouls than Miami in game 1 and people still said the fix was in. I openly admit there sometimes is shadiness regarding the officiating, but I just don't see it last night. There was one bad missed call, not sure that warrants a conspiracy theory.

People keep making a big deal about the officiating because they hate the heat and want to see hem lose, so when some calls go in the heats favor there are overreactions. I don't remember seeing threads started when Philly was killed by the refs in the 4th quarter in Boston in game 5. Or when Leon powe show more ft's than the entire laker team in the finals a few years ago. The way the NBA works is the home team always gets the benefit of officiating. It's the same in pretty much every level of competitive big time basketball. The rondo call was a bad no call, but I hope you aren't seriously suggesting wade should've been called for an offensive foul on that play. The clerics didn't shoot a lot of ft's because they didn't attack the basket as much as wade and LeBron who are usually aggressive and very strong/athletic. Rondo attacked the basket and other than the real bad no call he got to the line pretty well, Pierce attacked the basket in the third and got to the line, other than that Boston is older and not very athletic and have to settle for jumpshots off Rondo dribble penetration and breakdowns. Boston was actually called for less fouls than Miami in game 1 and people still said the fix was in. I openly admit there sometimes is shadiness regarding the officiating, but I just don't see it last night. There was one bad missed call, not sure that warrants a conspiracy theory.
Im definately not saying Wade should be called for an offensive foul. Im just saying people who want to scream Conspiracy! are saying that and in and of itself, it would sound ridiculous but its hard to dismiss them with that Rondo no call, especially given the fre throw disparity (again not saying its a legit gripe). Seriously, thats one of the worst call/non-calls ive seen in a Conference Finals. In my opinion, it decided the game. You also have to combine that with the nonsensical string of technicals they handed Boston in Game 1 and people who think the NBA is rigged have an awful lot of ammunition.

I don't think the games are fixed or anything like that. But I don't really think the refs are that great; while also granting that it is very hard to ref NBA games. I have a lot more leeway for NBA refs than umps in baseball; it seems like baseball is a much easier game to call.

I definitely think there is a star system in the league; if a guy like Wade or Lebron (or any other star, for that matter) starts flopping around on their drives, they're going to at least get some calls out of it. i wonder how the league deals with it; I would hope all the refs look at game tape to see if they got a call right, to see if some guys are more prone to flopping than others, and if they do, I wonder if that stuff is in the back of their mind when they are making calls. I would be fine with some kind of system where they went back and looked at tape and fined and then eventually suspended people for flopping. I understand it can be hard to tell in the heat of the game, but when you go back and look at replays, there are some obvious instances when guys either embellish or straight up pretend they were hit when they weren't.

As to the FT differential; well, Miami should shoot more FT than Boston. Maybe not a 47-29 difference (and it was close at one point, both teams were around 25 if i recall). Boston was 27th in the league in free throw attempts per game this year. Boston's offense is basically built around getting guys open jumpers; Miami is built around Wade and Lebron driving. Does that mean 47-29 was the right differential? I don't know; I'm sure it wasn't, no basketball game has ever been called perfectly.

I was tired last night and decided to set the DVR when the game went to OT, and then didn't watch it in the morning, so I haven't seen the missed call but I'm sure there was one. Also, big props to Rondo, dude played the whole game last night. He has some games where he really does look like one of the 4 or 5 best players in the whole league.

Im definately not saying Wade should be called for an offensive foul. Im just saying people who want to scream Conspiracy! are saying that and in and of itself, it would sound ridiculous but its hard to dismiss them with that Rondo no call, especially given the fre throw disparity (again not saying its a legit gripe). Seriously, thats one of the worst call/non-calls ive seen in a Conference Finals.

I just feel like if you are a ref and trying to fix a game, you would probably not want it to even get to the last few minutes of OT. The games are just really hard to ref. Sounds like a copout, maybe it is, but if you play a close game, college or pro, there will absolutely be missed calls on both sides that result in the fans of the losing team saying the refs cost us the game. Look at this board; I think on literally every game we have lost since I was posting here, after games we lose there are at least some people complaining about how bad the refs are and how they cost us the game.

But hey, Tim Donaghy would say I'm being naive. And maybe he's right.

Some of the techs on Boston in game 1 were pretty brutal. Come on Eddie?!?!?

If the NBA was fixed, why did Dallas win last year...why are two of the smallest market teams winning out west? Wouldn't the Knicks be better, if the NBA was fixed? Biggest market draws TV viewers.

I really don't know how that was missed. Makes you wonder...

Meanwhile, James with 24 FTs, and the entire Celtics team had 29. Wade chipped in with 11 FTs.

If the refs called the games by the rules, LeBron would shoot 30 FT every game. The dude is grabbed or held almost every trip down the floor, but a lot of the time the refs let it go because he's so much bigger and stronger than most defenders.

The refs missed the call on the Rondo play, no question. But the rest of the game seemed pretty even in terms of officiating to me. Why would you expect the Celts to get to the free throw line more when 2/3rds of their shots are 18 foot jumpers?

If the NBA was fixed, why did Dallas win last year...why are two of the smallest market teams winning out west? Wouldn't the Knicks be better, if the NBA was fixed? Biggest market draws TV viewers.

If the NBA was fixed, LeBron would have multiple titles already.

Without Lebron's quest for a title..would anyone be tuning in for these games? Thunder/SAS ratings are not good.

I dunno, Jordan did ok ratings with the Bulls.

Doc Rivers is wiley..but his team needs to really attack the paint more to get foul calls. Is there a rule about the Celtics bigs only being able to take standstill jumpers?

I dunno, Jordan did ok ratings with the Bulls.

Michael Jordan isn't walking through that door for the NBA. Who else are people glued to the tv for, other than Lebron? The NBA has become golf. The average fan is interested in one thing...

There was a jump ball late in regulation (or OT) in which Lebron was fouled about 5 times. Where's the outrage for that?

Michael Jordan isn't walking through that door for the NBA. Who else are people glued to the tv for, other than Lebron? The NBA has become golf. The average fan is interested in one thing...

I know, I'm just saying him winning titles didn't hurt the NBA ratings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom