Morgan is raising the floor of our QB play | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Morgan is raising the floor of our QB play

I honestly don’t know how anyone can judge this kid at this point. He has only been on campus for four months and has received very few reps. Yet, he comes in and completes 26 of 37 passes - that's 70% - and some geniuses are already writing him off as a possible future starter. How old is he 18 or 19?

All one can say is that he shows real promise and has plenty of time to grow. I will add that he looks as good as Ryan Nassib did as a freshman. Ryan played in 9 games and was 36 of 68 (53%) for 422 yards with 3 tds and 1 int.

So let's stop the stupid shade. Just be glad he's here. Props to Gilbert.

Nassib wasn't a true freshman when he played. He looked way better at throwing the football as a freshman than Morgan.

Teams have film now on Morgan. They will try to take away the short stuff. His throws over 15 yards were very iffy at best today. He needs to prove that he can beat a team down the field given single coverage.

Most DCs will bring pressure against a young QB. Doesn't matter if it is HS or NFL. BC brought it those two drives the second half and it made a difference. The other thing that will give a young QB trouble is zone coverage, which also tends to kill these college O's as the routes are simplistic.

We can't ask him to carry the team with his arm. He needs to be a game manger at this point. I thought we were a little too pass happy today given that the game was basically close until the robbery fumble.

Christ - he did great. True frosh from an non-FB factory HS performed well above expectations in his first start. I’m not comparing him to McNabb, but go check out his stats from his first start as a r-Fr.

I think a Morgan can be a very good QB at this level. Very good feel for the game. Proud of the kid.
The dude's completing 70% of his passes so far!

As a true freshmen! When our upper classmen were at 50% and below 50%!

Nassib wasn't a true freshman when he played. He looked way better at throwing the football as a freshman than Morgan.

Teams have film now on Morgan. They will try to take away the short stuff. His throws over 15 yards were very iffy at best today. He needs to prove that he can beat a team down the field given single coverage.

Most DCs will bring pressure against a young QB. Doesn't matter if it is HS or NFL. BC brought it those two drives the second half and it made a difference. The other thing that will give a young QB trouble is zone coverage, which also tends to kill these college O's as the routes are simplistic.

We can't ask him to carry the team with his arm. He needs to be a game manger at this point. I thought we were a little too pass happy today given that the game was basically close until the robbery fumble.
Not a knock on Rex, but I feel like Morgan had a better game today than Rex had in any of his starts this season.

Stats or not you knew McNabb was an absolute stud from game 1. Nothing against Morgan, but comparing their game 1 stats is as apples to oranges as you can get
We may never have another McNabb. Any time we can realistically compare player to McNabb, it's favorable to the player.

Stats or not you knew McNabb was an absolute stud from game 1. Nothing against Morgan, but comparing their game 1 stats is as apples to oranges as you can get

Hence my disclaimer. He was better than I thought, and did so as a true freshman. I think he can be a solid QB.

Not a knock on Rex, but I feel like Morgan had a better game today than Rex had in any of his starts this season.

Rex shouldn't play over Morgan and it sounds like Dino agrees. Rex had a nice three Qs against Clemson. He had a nice half against Wake. He never played a complete game and that was nice to see from Morgan. But Rex also completed some passes down the field. Morgan's downfield passes were really poor today.

Morgan showed a lot of poise in the pocket - the moment did not seem too big for him. Looks like he can throw on the move with touch. That's a nice skill set. Not sure you could ask for much more from a true freshman with unprecedentedly limited opportunities for practice time and game prep.

There are some obvious flaws in his game at this point that are now on tape. It will be interesting to see how much he develops over the next two weeks before we play L'ville.

I agree with all. I hope the staff takes this extra time to come up with ways to keep DC's guessing. No matter what this is good experience for him and it can only help him in the future QB race. We just cant allow this kid to get killed and lose confidence before the race begins for him

Is anyone watching the Florida Georgia game ? The Florida Qb should buy his WRs cars
Jump balls , contested tds like 5 plays in the first half .. we need a dog like that
I wanna see Alford and Williams get some run
Morgan had nice poise I’m not gonna point out what I see . D played hard whole team
Played hard . I was happy with the effort
This is just a suggestion for everyone. We have FIVE players on the roster named Williams. I had to look up Ja'Vonte as the WR mentioned. I believe all five are scholarship players also. This could get confusing at some point ;) But I would like to see more of Hendrix also.

Yes. I know which enhances the comparison. The rest is just your supposition as you have no idea how he will handle it. Zone coverage often makes it easier to run.

We have tape as well, and our coaches will be able to coach him up with 1st team reps and will develop game plans as well.

We all know its a chess match and a lot of it is on the coaches. Don't be so quick to judge. You haven't seen him in practice and don't know how quick he learns.

Rex shouldn't play over Morgan and it sounds like Dino agrees. Rex had a nice three Qs against Clemson. He had a nice half against Wake. He never played a complete game and that was nice to see from Morgan. But Rex also completed some passes down the field. Morgan's downfield passes were really poor today.
Didn't he have a couple taken away by penalties?

Again, true freshman, first start, shouldn't be playing anyway given the level of competition he's coming from and how early it is in his career - he's not going to be perfect.

Yeah, he can work on his deep ball. That's totally fine and really, considering other problems he could have at this stage in his career, the fact that that's what needs work is incredible.

I thought Morgan did just fine considering, sometime I would like to see Dillon M get a shot. It’s not like we are striving to be in the top 20. My problem is I don’t have that many years in my bucket to wait too long for a consistently good team!

Didn't he have a couple taken away by penalties?

Again, true freshman, first start, shouldn't be playing anyway given the level of competition he's coming from and how early it is in his career - he's not going to be perfect.

Yeah, he can work on his deep ball. That's totally fine and really, considering other problems he could have at this stage in his career, the fact that that's what needs work is incredible.

I like what I saw a lot. His ability to move around the pocket is hard to teach. The touch passes he threw are also hard to teach (ask Nassib). You can't teach speed. You can't teach an arm. Neither of which he seems to have. I think the kid has a ton of potential and can't wait to see him grow the rest of this season. But I am also not going to take too much away from this game. I am very hopeful though.

There were 2-3 times where if he had kept the ball he would have had some nice runs. that will come with time too.

I like what I saw a lot. His ability to move around the pocket is hard to teach. The touch passes he threw are also hard to teach (ask Nassib). You can't teach speed. You can't teach an arm. Neither of which he seems to have. I think the kid has a ton of potential and can't wait to see him grow the rest of this season. But I am also not going to take too much away from this game. I am very hopeful though.
But like, what does that mean? What would the "too much" be to take away from this game?

Christ - he did great. True frosh from an non-FB factory HS performed well above expectations in his first start. I’m not comparing him to McNabb, but go check out his stats from his first start as a r-Fr.

I think a Morgan can be a very good QB at this level. Very good feel for the game. Proud of the kid.

yep, marginally better ol play or run defense and they might have won.

I'm not throwing any shade I just find it absurd to think he's the starting QB next year.

What if Tommy transfers? Who starts then?

Dinos teams have continually had stupid penalties, his teams are not very disciplined, and no one seems too pay a price for their stupidity(penalties).
That's because we don't have any players much beyond the first 30-35 that he trusts to play. He's kind of like Boeheim; he doesn't play people to develop them, you don't create O line depth by only playing 7 guys and cross-training them for other positions. In fact, teaching guys multiple positions on the O line probably hinders their development.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom