Most exciting college players | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Most exciting college players

How did people see DR J in college? He played at UMass and I never once saw them on TV. Are the people saying him people who went to the games? As a pro, no doubt one of the most exciting but I wonder how people say that about him in college. I was a HUGE fan and I never really heard of him until the Virginia Squires.
I once heard he played at Manley, though I didn't see it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to look that up tonight.

in your lifetime. Not necessarily the best, but the most exciting. I'll begin.

Pearl Washington

Michael Jordan
Pearl
Patrick Ewing
Shaq
Zion Williamson

Think my 1st few favorite non-Cuse players were Kittles, Toby Bailey and Trajan Langdon for whatever reason.
The Alaskan Assassin is still one of the best nicknames in sports history, especially with Dukie V yelling it. Similarly, the shooting displays that JJ Reddick would put on in his final 2 years were unreal & must-see TV. It was honestly a surprise when one of his shots didn’t go in.

Even though he went to G'town I feel like Iverson is pretty much universally liked. To be an NBA MVP at 160 lbs is kind of unreal.
I still have been a pair of iversons in my closet. The kid also was a great hs qb he was Vick before Vick.

Here’s a name out of left field: Omar “The Magician” Cook. The kid had all the NYC PG swagger and was fun to watch in his 1 year at St. John’s. I recall tuning into their games just to watch him. His handle & vision were elite & he had hops for being only like 5’10”. I always thought that he could’ve carved out an NBA career had he stayed, matured, & developed a solid jump shot.

Here’s a name out of left field: Omar “The Magician” Cook. The kid had all the NYC PG swagger and was fun to watch in his 1 year at St. John’s. I recall tuning into their games just to watch him. His handle & vision were elite & he had hops for being only like 5’10”. I always thought that he could’ve carved out an NBA career had he stayed, matured, & developed a solid jump shot.
Think him and Joseph Forte fall into that same category. Both looked like future superstars and left too early.

Hakim for me. Blake Griffin, Durant.

Also, Trae Young.

Edit- Ja Morant.

Last edited:
Think him and Joseph Forte fall into that same category. Both looked like future superstars and left too early.

Forte’s game really bugged me. He was good, but such a ball dominant, over dribbling gunner.

Lots of good ones I agree with & would post as well if they weren’t mentioned already, but another one I haven’t seen mentioned (may have missed it in the thread) is Jamaal Tinsley. He had a sick in-and-out dribble to spin move that is legendary, his handle was so tight... with a lot of flare too to keep it exciting. Check out this clip vs. Colorado

Yes. Cook, Taliek Brown, and Andre Barrett were the big 3 NYC point guards one year, all going to Big East schools. I liked Erick Barkley at St. John’s right before Cook, too.

No love for God Shamgod? Legendary handle.
Also Monty Towe to David Thompson alley oop was a thing of beauty. (no dunking allowed either)
I mean when you have a move named after you that guys like Kyrie & CP3 have been using for years, you better get some shine/recognition in this thread!

I mean when you have a move named after you that guys like Kyrie & CP3 have been using for years, you better get some shine/recognition in this thread!

Providence had that elite 8 run with him, knocking off Duke along the way. That was fun to watch.

Another is all time NYC Streetball legend (with an NBA career!) Rafer “Skip To My Lou” Alston at Fresno State. Check out the move starting at about 1:19-1:20

Remember Randy Livingston? #1 recruit in the country for LSU, blew his knee out, and then was still leading the nation in assists as a freshman...and sadly blew his knee out again halfway through the season.

We barely got to see him at his peak, but I remember watching him put on a show at least once or twice that season.

Speaks to how good he was that he still made the NBA even though his knees were already shot.

Pearl
Sherman Douglas
Warrick
DC
GMAC
Iverson
Ewing
Len Bias
Fab Five
Swarming UNLV Runnin Rebels
Jerome Lane
Charles Smith
Hank Gathers & Bo Kimble
Walter Berry
Chris Mullin
Mark Jackson
Ray Allen
Kerry Kittles
Michael Adams
Dana Barrows
God Shamgod
Bobby Hurley
Christian Laettner
Jerry Stackhouse/Rasheed Wallace
Marcus Liberty
Villanova '84 champ team with Ed Pinkney...anyone who beats georgetown in the ship
Forgot Pervis Ellison

Last edited:
I have to go with Ernie D - 30 foot, behind the back skip passes to a fast breaking Marvin Barnes! Even when you saw the guy, it was hard to believe some of things he did - very, very exciting - he made plays that haven't been seen since.

Pistol Pete, probably the best shooter ever. Crazy shots all the time, 30 feet from the basket, defenders draped all over him, and half the shots went in! You couldn't take your eyes off of him.

I have to give an honorable mention to the guy from some G5 team from the Midwest that played SU in the dome about 7-8 years ago, sorry I can't remember his name or the team. The guy flew in for monster, monster dunks about 5 or 6 times. A couple seemed like he was going horizonal 2 feet above the basket - have never seen anything like it.

I also like the Calvin Murphy choice, but not the MJ one. People are mixing up MJ's college career with his pro one. If Lew Alcindor has already been picked, then I might go with David Thompson for my all-time college team, but like Lew, I remember David as being a great player but not especially exciting; which is the criteria.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom