Most physical O we have had in years | Syracusefan.com

Most physical O we have had in years

kcsu

Living Legend
With the possible exception of Florida State which is an NFL team and shouldnt count SU should be able to hang with everyone this year from a physical stand point. We are going to be a big team across the board.

Oline is big and strong from wing to wing. I hope that Miller lands the Center spot as Trudo is an animal at G. Hunt is a big and strong QB 6-3 230 or more. With West Ash and The Funder wea are as big as we have been at WR in a very long time. Throw in F-150 and this is a team that can pound you.

If our O line can open a few holes, we can pound the p$$ out of opponents' secondaries given how deep we are at RB. Run, gun, and fun!

All well and good.

But I look forward to seeing how much more dynamic in the passing game we are this year versus last year. I have a feeling that Terrel Hunt is going to be outstanding these next two years.

With the possible exception of Florida State which is an NFL team and shouldnt count SU should be able to hang with everyone this year from a physical stand point. We are going to be a big team across the board.

Oline is big and strong from wing to wing. I hope that Miller lands the Center spot as Trudo is an animal at G. Hunt is a big and strong QB 6-3 230 or more. With West Ash and The Funder wea are as big as we have been at WR in a very long time. Throw in F-150 and this is a team that can pound you.

Hmm...sure seemed like we were one of the smallest teams in the ACC on O last year. Appreciate your optimism, but I would imagine we are still going to be below average size wise in the ACC. Regardless, we did ok matching up physically on the O line. In fact, that might have been one of the relative strengths of the team.

Instead of focusing on how much more physical the line could be this season, the focus should be on the lack of speed, playmakers, and a passing game. That is what is going to matter.

And who says FSU's talent shouldn't count?

All well and good.

But I look forward to seeing how much more dynamic in the passing game we are this year versus last year. I have a feeling that Terrel Hunt is going to be outstanding these next two years.

Old football adage: "The run game establishes the passing game." Still valid, I would think.

Will somebody explain to me how being fat or 'having size' equates to being physical???

And then tell me how we know they'll be a physical team, in early April??

Thanks in advance.

2x.

Reactions: CIL
Will somebody explain to me how being fat or 'having size' equates to being physical???

And then tell me how we know they'll be a physical team, in early April??

Thanks in advance.

2x.

We have 4 returning OL from last year and if you watched any games, they were very physical. Our OL mauled just about everybody except FL St., Clemson and Ga Tech. Were you watching the same team that I was?

We have 4 returning OL from last year and if you watched any games, they were very physical. Our OL mauled just about everybody except FL St., Clemson and Ga Tech. Were you watching the same team that I was?
Certainly didn't maul Pitt or nw. Not saying we won't be better in that regard...but we'd better be if we expect any uptick.

Our OL was top 4 last year and this year will be top 3 or higher. We are bigger and stronger and deeper across the board at every position on O. We are going to beat the hell out of some teams

CuseOnly said:

I can say with all honesty - he probably wasn't.

Old football adage: "The run game establishes the passing game." Still valid, I would think.

You're right about one thing: in today's modern era of offensive football, that is an old philosophy.

Nothing wrong with having a strong run game, or offensive balance. But the goal should be to field an explosive offense that puts up a ton of points and takes advantage of playing in perfect conditions in the Dome.

I agree with RF...I want some fun, explosive playmaking. But like Northa sez...the run game can help set up the aerial circus. Let's bring on some high octane O.

If the defenses have to respect both run and pass things will be turning out quite nicely for us Orange fans. The run sets up the pass when they start to load the box or fall for play action but if the defense has no clue what is coming...we're sitting in the catbird seat. Personally I think it's hard being an OC because you have X amount of ideas and then in the first series you have a drop and a penalty and it's 3 and out and then you have to regain a flow which even when we had Nassib it was hard to do right off the bat. When things get tough, then we'll see what the offenses bread and butter will be. Execution is the key and always will be.

Last edited:
Is this OL better than Hay/Tiller/Pugh/Chibane/Mackey? That crew blocking for Delone was pretty physical. I think Trudo is a better G than either of those guys, but I am concerned about the depth on the OL.

Certainly didn't maul Pitt or nw. Not saying we won't be better in that regard...but we'd better be if we expect any uptick.

We won the battle up front in those games but we lost the war. With the exception of Aaron Donald.

I'm not sure being physical has really been an issue. We seem to do ok in that regard.

I'm in with RF and Texan - the big things I want to see this year are more speed (both tempo and in terms of the players) and more big plays.

That's not unreasonable. Lots of other programs are figuring that out. In Cool Kid We Trust.

OttoinGrotto said:
I'm not sure being physical has really been an issue. We seem to do ok in that regard. I'm in with RF and Texan - the big things I want to see this year are more speed (both tempo and in terms of the players) and more big plays. That's not unreasonable. Lots of other programs are figuring that out. In Cool Kid We Trust.

Agree 1000%. If they can go fast, Hunt takes the leap and becomes more consistent, and the running game stays about the same as last year - the O could be tough and fast. I'd like to see Estime take a slant for 29 yards, followed by a resurgent Tank/F1-50 dragging a couple LB's for 10 - all in 40 seconds.

Punter.
exactly.

so clearly you cant 'honestly' say that i didnt watch.

nor can you add any reason why the Orange will be more physical this year.

as Iron Mike Tyson so eloquently put...'everybody has a plan till they get punched in the mouth'.

hey admins, we need to put out a football dictionary or thesaurus...this is like the 3rd or 4th time that posters have used the wrong term or phrase when trying to describe something like the OP did here.

as for that sarcasm detector.....keep it on back order.

the resulting posts from posters who clearly need it, are fun.

exactly.

so clearly you cant 'honestly' say that i didnt watch.

nor can you add any reason why the Orange will be more physical this year.

as Iron Mike Tyson so eloquently put...'everybody has a plan till they get punched in the mouth'.

hey admins, we need to put out a football dictionary or thesaurus...this is like the 3rd or 4th time that posters have used the wrong term or phrase when trying to describe something like the OP did here.

as for that sarcasm detector...keep it on back order.

the resulting posts from posters who clearly need it, are fun.

Na. I think there's a case to be made that the offense will be more physical (CuseOnly made a nice case). Will Hicks could probably provide some numbers to show concrete improvement in strength across the O-line. Experience tends to lead to players playing more instinctively and decisively - more physically. If Adonis sees more PT, I can easily imagine him playing more violently that Smith did last season. So yeah.

(As for you watching the same team as the rest of us? You're right I can't "honestly" say that. It would just seem that your posts are from left-field - and there could be any number of reasons for the delusion. I don't think it's my sarcasm detector that's broken.)

I wouldn't call our offense physical. I would think we are more of a finesse team with the quick hits, zone reads, and stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom