Most Surprising Commit? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Most Surprising Commit?

There was a lot of angst about us giving him an offer and ‘wasting’ a scholarship. If you don’t remember it, you weren’t paying attention.

It wasn’t until that legendary game Niagara Falls played in Manley against JD that Jonny got respect from much of the board. He and Brendan Triche had a hell of a battle that game. It was the best HS game i have ever seen.

i was paying attention; i think you are misremembering. even the article you cite referred to him as a "superstar" in the 2nd graf

at the conclusion of his junior year, 7 months before that game, jonny had already climbed into the rsci consensus top 50, along with scoop, ricky and donte. people on this board were already calling it possibly the best recruiting class ever

i was paying attention; i think you are misremembering. even the article you cite referred to him as a "superstar" in the 2nd graf

at the conclusion of his junior year, 7 months before that game, jonny had already climbed into the rsci consensus top 50, along with scoop, ricky and donte. people on this board were already calling it possibly the best recruiting class ever
I think maybe you are. When Jonny was offered, many here thought he was a throw in designed as an enticement to get Harris to come to SU. Not many were excited about him.

I think maybe you are. When Jonny was offered, many here thought he was a throw in designed as an enticement to get Harris to come to SU. Not many were excited about him.
Again, Paul Harris graduated one year from high school one year prior to Jonny Flynn. Paul was already at Syracuse before Jonny commited.

On the day he declared, he was a 3 star recruit. That didn't last all that long. He just kept rising.

Again, Paul Harris graduated one year from high school one year prior to Jonny Flynn. Paul was already at Syracuse before Jonny commited.
You are talking about when he committed. I am talking about when he was offered.

You are talking about when he committed. I am talking about when he was offered.
I remember Harris’ quote when Flynn commited. He was surprised that Boeheim offered Flynn and little Jonny had accepted.

i said as much
but nobody said he was a "dud," as tomcat claims

either way, a2d

Good call...remember the same. Thought Pitt was on him as a fave back then.
Don't think it was Pitt. It was Louisville. Primary recruiter was Scooter McCray as I recall.

Last edited:
That's my bad. I should have made the initial post clearer. I meant most surprising commitment, not who we were surprised by their play.
So was I, kinda. After the UCLA meddling and his father being ill (IIRC), I was surprised by his actually coming to SU and honoring his commitment. So I guess technically I was wrong. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom