Most upsetting thing is that we should have won | Syracusefan.com

Most upsetting thing is that we should have won

Flacusian

All Conference
the game today. Without. A. Doubt. Thus far this season there has been much which has been fodder for concern, disappointment, and doubt. Then today the team comes out and comes to life. To be sure there were still the vestiges of poor play which we've seen so far this season, namely mind boggling unforced turnovers and defensive lapses. But we also were witness to seeing the development of some of these guys right before our eyes.

Kaleb Joseph made numerous plays which were outstanding and looked more like the play of a veteran point guard. Tyler Roberson contributed by making several great plays. Silent G came out early on and set the tempo for our offense to show what they are capable of and it was hard to believe it was the same team we have been watching so far this season.

Even in the 2nd half when Nova was mounting its comeback the team showed resilience and kept answering each surge by Nova with good play after good play. It's hard for anyone to stomach a loss when you are up by 5 points with only seconds left and inextricably find a way to lose the game. I can think of countless scenarios that could have played out whereby we still win the game in regulation. It was hard to watch many of the things which resulted in the meltdown at the end. Coming out of a timeout with no planned play and Kaleb ends up launching a desperation shot with the clock winding down. There were too many to list here.

But... that's what happens when you have a young team that is prone to make mistakes at the most crucial juncture of the game. We've seen it already in games this year and we can only hope that they continue on a trajectory of improvement and can end up on the winning side of games like today's.

As an avid fan, although I was apoplectic in the closing moments of the game, with a little time I hope to appreciate all of the positive aspects which I witnessed today. And there were plenty of them. I don't think many gave this team much of a shot at walking away with a win today and by most accounts they should have done just that... on account of their play today, warts and all.

LGO
We are getting better. For now that will have to be good enough to chew on until the next game.

The one thing that gives me some hope is thinking about Michigan State and Tom Izzo. Although Izzo usually has a much more difficult schedule than we do, his teams often have several losses going into conference play, and then gradually improve and become monsters by tournament time. Maybe JB and this team can do the same. They definitely looked improved today, as your post describes. LGO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom