Movies to watch during lockdown? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Movies to watch during lockdown?

Just curious if we could start a thread with some good movie options during this time with nowhere to go. I will start...my wife and I are watching Bohemian Rhapsody tonight...

I just watched Yesterday tonight. That's the one where something crazy happens and a young Indian guy from England is the only person who remembers - or even knows of - the music of the Beatles. He uses it to make himself a worldwide star. Very easy fun watch.

All on Netflix right now:

Shot Caller
The Gift
Goon
Hostiles

If you like travel / food shows, there's a pretty good one on Netflix right now called "Ugly Delicious". The hosts are a Michelin star Korean immigrant chef named David Chang who opened Momofuku in Manhattan, and now has half a dozen restaurants around the world. The other host is a NY Times food critic who first reviewed Momofuku, and then wrote a book with Chang. Chang argues with people a bit too much, but it's a good show.

That's one for everybody...one of the all-time great movies.

I'm going back even further the rest of the week...
starting with one of the greatest comedies ever.
Duck Soup...the Marx Brothers classic from1933.

Followed by more recent but still old gems:
Blazing Saddles
Wayne's World (the first one with Tia Carrere in that red dress)
and Borat.

Blazing Saddles hasn't held up well for me.

Gettysburg , Glory, Civil War Series Ken Burns.
Silver Linings Playbook
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Rocky
Big Lebowski
School of Rock
Gladiator
Braveheart
Sea Biscuit
Miracle
500 Days of Summer
Forest Gump
Most Will Ferrel with John C Reilly
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Not in order of favorite

The PBS Ken Burns series on Country Music is great, if you're looking for a long binge. Eight episodes, each 2 hours plus.

Fun Fact: my stepson is named Anderson because of him.

Grand Budapest Hotel is genius. Some of Wes Anderson's other films have not met that standard, like Royal Tennenbaums, for instance.

Some movies I’ve watched recently:
Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood - worth watching for the recreation of Hollywood and the performances of DiCaprio and Pitt, but the actual movie itself was kinda disappointing.

The two new Jumanji movies - one of the most pleasant surprises of my movie viewing life. Went in expecting them to be absolutely terrible...they’re actually quite charming and funny. I’ll definitely see the 3rd whenever they make it.

Uncut Gems - Better than Once Upon a Time IMO but still not all that special. Always fun watching Sandler when he tries though.

The Bad Boys movies - just a couple fun action movies

Knives Out - Just a really good movie. Loved it a lot.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is Tarantino's best movie since the Kill Bills. Loved it.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is Tarantino's best movie since the Kill Bills. Loved it.

I didn’t realize until I watched this one that I’ve only seen 1 or 2 Tarantino movies. With this one, the world they created and the acting performances are great, but the movie itself feels basically pointless. Glad I watched it once but I can’t imagine I would ever feel motivated to see it again.

I didn’t realize until I watched this one that I’ve only seen 1 or 2 Tarantino movies. With this one, the world they created and the acting performances are great, but the movie itself feels basically pointless. Glad I watched it once but I can’t imagine I would ever feel motivated to see it again.

How about if I told you it was celebrating the end of the Golden Era of Hollywood, and the end of the innocent part of the 60s' idealism. That was kind of the point. In the Hollywood of the past, that imaginary, perfect time, we wouldn't have savage pointless murders change all of society for the worse. Sharon Tate's death was to Classic Hollywood what Altamont was to Woodstock.
That's why he lovingly spent so much time of the film making up all these different tv shows and movies that our hero supposedly appeared in. The climax of the movie actually was when that little girl actress kind of schooled Leo to treat the role and his craft with respect. And then he really nailed that scene, wanted and received her approval.

I hope Pulp Fiction is one of them. That movie changed filmmaking in the 90s, with its intertwining plots, violence, nostalgia, casual racism of some of the characters and very sharp writing.

The Kill Bill movies should only be watched back-to-back, or else they make very little sense.

From Dusk Til Dawn was Salma Hayak as a vampire stripper and surviving an onslaught of demons from hell. That was pretty fun.

Natural Born Killers was really good, like a psychedelic Bonnie & Clyde murder rampage movie. No, wait, that was Oliver Stone doing his version of a Tarantino movie. My bad.

The Hateful Eight was OK, kind of like Django Unchained, maybe too much like it, except set in the snow. Inglorious Basterds, the Nazi Killer movie, was fun, but that one seemed kind popcorn predictable to me.

He first got recognition for Reservoir Dogs, which kind of set the tone for his later movies. It was pretty good, not great, IMO.

Grand Budapest Hotel is genius. Some of Wes Anderson's other films have not met that standard, like Royal Tennenbaums, for instance.
Oh, man. No... Tenenbaums was the first bit of genius. Still my favorite. Budapest and Zissou were bigger, grander, more expensive, but Tenenbaums has it all, on the page and stylistically.

I hope Pulp Fiction is one of them. That movie changed filmmaking in the 90s, with its intertwining plots, violence, nostalgia, casual racism of some of the characters and very sharp writing.

The Kill Bill movies should only be watched back-to-back, or else they make very little sense.

From Dusk Til Dawn was Salma Hayak as a vampire stripper and surviving an onslaught of demons from hell. That was pretty fun.

From Dusk til Dawn was great, but it was directed by Robert Rodriguez.

I like a lot of Tarantino’s work, but I really haven’t liked much after 2005 (except Django).

I am now prepared to be internet shamed for my ridiculous opinion.

I like a lot of Tarantino’s work, but I really haven’t liked much after 2005 (except Django).

Not ridic at all. I’ve seen them all except Hollywood. I’ve only really liked Pulp Fiction, reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown. And maybe Inglorious Basterds.
Kill Bills were just okay—nice visually, but I just didn’t connect with them and have no interest in multiple viewings. Hateful 8 I probably only liked for Domergue...

Over the Edge - a good slice of 70's cheese

Count me surprised, obviously, with Tarantino acting in it. He's hardly a thespian.

Oh, man. No... Tenenbaums was the first bit of genius. Still my favorite. Budapest and Zissou were bigger, grander, more expensive, but Tenenbaums has it all, on the page and stylistically.

I didn't care for Gwynnith Paltrow in it. I thought she great in Shakespeare in Love, but I didn't care for her character in Royal Tennenbaums.

Maybe not the movie to watch right now but rewatched outbreak right now great movie.

I didn't care for Gwynnith Paltrow in it. I thought she great in Shakespeare in Love, but I didn't care for her character in Royal Tennenbaums.
Hmmm. She was kinda 'blasé' but i thought that's what was called for. I especially liked how they showed her 'backstory' in the photo montage—her past relationships, etc. Plus, how she cuckolded Bill Murray... I liked the Young Margo, and how she was kinda 'squashed' by being underappreciated by her father ("she was adopted"). Trying to think of another Paltrow role where i did like her. I loved her in Se7en. Barely remember the Jack Black thing...

Last edited:
To show my age I am going to throw a couple of movies almost no one other than me has heard of but that I love from back when. the first is a movie called fate is the Hunter. It is about the investigation of a airplane crash. Glenn Ford stars. The second is Mirage with Gregory peck. If you are ever up at 2 a.m. and can't sleep, they might be on. Really liked both.
Lots of great movies in the middle of the night for insomniacs. We just watched The Train with Burt Lancaster. Some movies are just visually better in black and white.

Not a movie but espn is replaying the oj made in America series. Already have seen it 3 times and can't turn it off.

It's up.there with saving Private Ryan for best war movies ever made.
Agree completely. Saw it twice in theatres (one with a friend and once with my 14 y/o son). I rarely go to the movies, and I think the last movie I saw in theatres more than once was Warrior with Tom Hardy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom