My Game Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Game Thoughts

One thing noone is mentioning. PSU has a good defense. They limited our run game big time.

ok lets split it -- 20k cuse 40 k psu-- yes i think they doubled us at the very least

i thought it was 65/35, but noise was 90/10. our fans really don't know what to do, and no they are not any better for basketball either. they just have more to cheer for

Because we're not good football fans.

Great for hoops though.

This was painfully clear to me at the "official" Alumni Club bar in LA

at 23-10 the place cleared out and there were only like 5 people paying attention the whole time, most were blah blah networking. Might very well also be a function of LA, but seriously, that was an uber lame ass showing.

Meanwhile the 100 or so Penn St fans there were all looking at the TV's and loud the whole game.

at 23-10 the place cleared out and there were only like 5 people paying attention the whole time, most were blah blah networking. Might very well also be a function of LA, but seriously, that was an uber lame ass showing.

Meanwhile the 100 or so Penn St fans there were all looking at the TV's and loud the whole game.
I don't even think its debatable that the overall football knowledge in 90% of our football fan base is piss poor. I forgot my ear plugs today unfortunately that's usually the first thing I grab while trecking up to the Dome

Because we're not good football fans.

Great for hoops though.
We are great at basketball. Penn state is great at football. Fans respond. Penn state doesn't have a traveling circus for basketball

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

i thought it was 65/35, but noise was 90/10. our fans really don't know what to do, and no they are not any better for basketball either. they just have more to cheer for

I think 2:1 is about right.

why so hard to fathom the comparisons to robinson offense-
you guys keep throwing in his defensive ineptitude when its all about the offense-

mcdonald did not earn his pay- the total lack of cohesion and communication between the players and the staff was mindboggling - his play calling was so generic walmart wouldnt even buy it

but hey lets throw the receivers under the bus on this one- maybe they were so bad because the oc is in over his head- guy has always been known as a recruiter ,never a mention of his coaching abilities

why so hard to fathom the comparisons to robinson offense-
you guys keep throwing in his defensive ineptitude when its all about the offense-

mcdonald did not earn his pay- the total lack of cohesion and communication between the players and the staff was mindboggling - his play calling was so generic walmart wouldnt even buy it

Did you watch Robinson's debut against WVU? That offense was not just impotent, it was non-functional. It was like they had pulled 11 guys from the student section and were drawing plays in the sand.

Yesterday had too much disorganization, and the results were poor. But the framework of an offense was there. We had 260 yards and 11 first downs. 6 for 20 on 3rd.

Game 1, 2005, we had 103 yards and 7 first downs. We did not convert a 3rd down. 0 for 15. 103 yards. Let that roll around your head for a while and consider that comparison.

i was at the wv game and was the first to call for robinsons head-

this was just as bad because of the ineptitude of the staff getting plays in and having players that looked prepared-

a whole 260 yards and 11 first downs -man what a juggernaut

Haven't seen the game yet, had to listen to Park call the game over Sirius radio and that was just as brutal as Allen waiting for a play.

PSU is good and they game planned for that offense that McDonald ran. SU won't face a defensive line like that until Clemson and FSU.

PSU had one game changer on offense, we had none.

A lot of little things messed up on offense along with drops, hell even a bad Rogers snap. Learn from this and improve.

Better improve against screens because that's all Northwestern runs. Defense did very well, as expected. D needs to score when they have the ball just like Northwestern did vs Cal, twice.

I'm assuming Krautman is still somewhat hurt because he's still struggling.

Have we established the run yet? That drove me crazy listening to that and I have to watch the game to see how Allen reacted and the receivers were. First game jitters and a damn good opponent make for a very difficult game but it was also still winnable which says a lot to me. Not into the moral victory crap but not playing your A game and still having the ball with a chance to win within the last couple of minutes, things are not as bad as they may seem right now because of the broken hearts.

this was just as bad because of the ineptitude of the staff getting plays in and having players that looked prepared-

If you can't see the difference then we're done.

I assume this doesn't surprise you. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. Not good football fans at all.

And for those ready to start complaining, the world is bigger than this board.

44cuse

If you can't see the difference then we're done.
what difference? total ineptitude at a different level?

or are you just all giddy about 230 yards and 11 first downs-if so were done

Did you watch Robinson's debut against WVU? That offense was not just impotent, it was non-functional. It was like they had pulled 11 guys from the student section and were drawing plays in the sand.

Yesterday had too much disorganization, and the results were poor. But the framework of an offense was there. We had 260 yards and 11 first downs. 6 for 20 on 3rd.

Game 1, 2005, we had 103 yards and 7 first downs. We did not convert a 3rd down. 0 for 15. 103 yards. Let that roll around your head for a while and consider that comparison.
That West Virginia team went 11-1 and won the Sugar Bowl that year. In other words, they were a hell of a lot more talented than this PSU team from yesterday.

Honestly, I'm at a loss at how some people here can't seem to wrap their brains around a COMPARISON. The offense yesterday brought back flashes (there it is again - FLASHES, not a carbon copy, but flashes) from those GRob offenses that were disorganized, inept, and lacking in imagination. In fact, the offense yesterday did look like a bunch of guys from the student section drawing plays in the sand...reminiscent of 2005.

Looking at 2005, Syracuse's third game was a loss against #25 ranked Virginia. They put up 252 total yards and 16 first downs. Hmmmmm, awfully similar to the 260 and 11 yesterday. The week after Virginia, at FSU, they put up 234 and 12. The week after @ Connecticut 273 and 13. Shall I go on? The following week home against Rutgers - 238 and 11. The week after @ Pitt? 202 and 11. Yesterday's performance would have looked right at home in the midst of those offensive performances.

So spare me the indignation at the suggestion that the inept, confused, and directionless offense from yesterday gave me flash backs to some of those GRob offenses. It isn't an outrageous statement.

And before there is even more blow back, take a minute and see WHAT I AM NOT SAYING. People say it is just the first game, tough opponent, away game atmosphere with a new HC, OC, starting QB and top 2 WR. I AGREE. I am not without hope and I am NOT saying that the Syracuse offense is doomed all year, or that the Shafer era will look anything like the GRob era. Mistakes can be corrected, I do believe there is talent on the offense, and teams and coaches can grow with experience (look no further than Hackett and last year's SU team).

However, none of that changes that watching yesterday's game, in the moment, reminded me of watching a Syracuse offense in the GRob era. I simply don't understand why that is a controversial statement.

That West Virginia team went 11-1 and won the Sugar Bowl that year. In other words, they were a hell of a lot more talented than this PSU team from yesterday.

Honestly, I'm at a loss at how some people here can't seem to wrap their brains around a COMPARISON. The offense yesterday brought back flashes (there it is again - FLASHES, not a carbon copy, but flashes) from those GRob offenses that were disorganized, inept, and lacking in imagination. In fact, the offense yesterday did look like a bunch of guys from the student section drawing plays in the sand...reminiscent of 2005.

Looking at 2005, Syracuse's third game was a loss against #25 ranked Virginia. They put up 252 total yards and 16 first downs. Hmmmmm, awfully similar to the 260 and 11 yesterday. The week after Virginia, at FSU, they put up 234 and 12. The week after @ Connecticut 273 and 13. Shall I go on? The following week home against Rutgers - 238 and 11. The week after @ Pitt? 202 and 11. Yesterday's performance would have looked right at home in the midst of those offensive performances.

So spare me the indignation at the suggestion that the inept, confused, and directionless offense from yesterday gave me flash backs to some of those GRob offenses. It isn't an outrageous statement.

And before there is even more blow back, take a minute and see WHAT I AM NOT SAYING. People say it is just the first game, tough opponent, away game atmosphere with a new HC, OC, starting QB and top 2 WR. I AGREE. I am not without hope and I am NOT saying that the Syracuse offense is doomed all year, or that the Shafer era will look anything like the GRob era. Mistakes can be corrected, I do believe there is talent on the offense, and teams and coaches can grow with experience (look no further than Hackett and last year's SU team).

However, none of that changes that watching yesterday's game, in the moment, reminded me of watching a Syracuse offense in the GRob era. I simply don't understand why that is a controversial statement.

Because if you're a Syracuse fan you're referencing the worst stretch in our history. It should not be said lightly.

I still can't believe we have no clue whatsoever on how to stop a simple screen pass. I've never seen a team so horrible defending it, and it was the same way last year too.

The reason that teams have better success with WR screens than us is that they execute them better. PSU knows that you pair up a big WR or TE with a quick guy. The big guy puts a good block on the quick guys defender and you've an automatic 5 yd gain.

We always seem to do the opposite. We throw to the inside TE and then expect a smaller WR to tee up a bigger safety. Never works. Although the one time we seemed to set this up right yesterday, Broyld had a really halfhearted attempt at a block.

we need to have a separate "bone" for the biggest WR block on a screen. We rarely have our guys commit to a full on block.

You called for Robinson's head after the first game?

First off I was proud of the SU representation at this game. I was with my GF who is a Penn State alum and the crowd was closer to 60-40 for Penn State which isn't bad for SU considering Penn State has more alums.

Second, Scott Shafer and his defensive coaches did a great job. I don't know the exact stats since I was the game, but Penn State only converted 1 3rd down and 2 4th downs one on a fake punt. Tremendous job by the defense and they weren't gassed at the end. That kid from Penn State the WR made some plays, but our defense is well above nationally.

Third, the offense was scary IMO. Jerome Smith was solid and I thought overall the running game was decent, but we were too damn predictable on offense. We ran the ball every play on first down it seemed until we went down 13-3 and then the offense wasn't always run, run, pass, but the play calling was 2005 esque for the first half. I thought Allen showed he has the tools, but he doesn't have chemistry with the WRs. Which brings me to my main concern it seemed like the WRs were scary bad and below average for a BCS program. Broyld showed he can be a slot receiver and has potential, but besides him Kobena had problems getting open outside of that deep pass he caught. Kobena, Clark, West need to raise their games or we are in trouble. I wish Allen looked at Wales more he seemed open but Allen had happy and didn't look his way much.

Overall, while we lost we showed potential that if we can get the offense rolling to just average that our defense will win us a lot of games, and we should be a bowl team.Proud to be Orange and Shafer showed that he and his coaching staff can coach defense we just need some playmakers and I think we can be a top 25 team in the future.
How much was Kobena even in the game? Can't get these stats from suathletics. I was at the game and now watching the DVR'd game in chunks - my impression is that West & Fleming were usually in there.

what difference? total ineptitude at a different level?

or are you just all giddy about 230 yards and 11 first downs-if so were done

To compare this coaching to the Gump years is pure lunacy. Take a valuum, see a therapist, and get ready for Northwestern.

Go Orange!!!

rinse and repeat -

Obviously there is something lost in translation. I certainly wasn't trying to insult you. If it came out the wrong way, I apologize. There are only two people on this board who I would insult and mean it. You're not one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom