My Game Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

My Game Thoughts

Alsacs

Living Legend
First off I was proud of the SU representation at this game. I was with my GF who is a Penn State alum and the crowd was closer to 60-40 for Penn State which isn't bad for SU considering Penn State has more alums.

Second, Scott Shafer and his defensive coaches did a great job. I don't know the exact stats since I was the game, but Penn State only converted 1 3rd down and 2 4th downs one on a fake punt. Tremendous job by the defense and they weren't gassed at the end. That kid from Penn State the WR made some plays, but our defense is well above nationally.

Third, the offense was scary IMO. Jerome Smith was solid and I thought overall the running game was decent, but we were too damn predictable on offense. We ran the ball every play on first down it seemed until we went down 13-3 and then the offense wasn't always run, run, pass, but the play calling was 2005 esque for the first half. I thought Allen showed he has the tools, but he doesn't have chemistry with the WRs. Which brings me to my main concern it seemed like the WRs were scary bad and below average for a BCS program. Broyld showed he can be a slot receiver and has potential, but besides him Kobena had problems getting open outside of that deep pass he caught. Kobena, Clark, West need to raise their games or we are in trouble. I wish Allen looked at Wales more he seemed open but Allen had happy and didn't look his way much.

Overall, while we lost we showed potential that if we can get the offense rolling to just average that our defense will win us a lot of games, and we should be a bowl team.Proud to be Orange and Shafer showed that he and his coaching staff can coach defense we just need some playmakers and I think we can be a top 25 team in the future.

I still think we need to keep trying to find ways to get the ball in Broyld's hands. That drop over the middle today was bad (though Allen definitely threw it much harder than he needed to), but he's just so slippery once he gets the ball. He seems like the one true game-breaker that we have on the offensive end.

I still can't believe we have no clue whatsoever on how to stop a simple screen pass. I've never seen a team so horrible defending it, and it was the same way last year too.

I don't know too much about Hunt besides the fact that he's more of a dual-threat guy and he's a freshman, but Allen has a very good arm. He needs to continue getting better chemistry though. I don't think accuracy was as big an issue as much as he was just throwing balls to places where he thought his receivers would be, but they weren't.

Overall, the first half was absolutely horrible, but the second half was at least interesting. We seemed to open up the playbook a bit in the 2nd half on both sides of the field. I can't be too upset after Game 1.

I too am and will always be proud to be Orange. I just thought the whole offense and even coaching seemed out of sync. I really hope they can learn from this and from the game tape and be better poised for the NW game.

I had flashbacks to GRob era offense for much of that game. That offensive performance was just putrid. They looked like they had never met each other. It was a total breakdown - the line lacked push and missed protections, QB play was erratic, WR's had drops and miscommunication with the QB.

All that being said, if Reddish doesn't get tackled in the open field by a 300lb lineman Syracuse wins the game. How he didn't score on that boggles me mind.

the sad news. the pussifucation of the game. everytime someone lays down a major hit we're looking for a flag. so sorry but this used to be a contact sport. you pay the price to play.

60/40 psu????? I think it was 75/25 at best and if you want to judge by crowd noise probably 90/10

60/40 psu????? I think it was 75/25 at best and if you want to judge by crowd noise probably 90/10

We're you there? Was far closer to 60/40 than 75/25.

They did make more noise. Our fans are kinda lame, but that's in general.

I had flashbacks to GRob era offense for much of that game. That offensive performance was just putrid. They looked like they had never met each other. It was a total breakdown - the line lacked push and missed protections, QB play was erratic, WR's had drops and miscommunication with the QB.

All that being said, if Reddish doesn't get tackled in the open field by a 300lb lineman Syracuse wins the game. How he didn't score on that boggles me mind.

I just don't understand the GRob era comparisons. First of all, under GRob we were so incredibly inept on both sides of the ball that the we generally weren't even competitive in any facet of the game.

Second, the offense was totally out of sync today, but again this wasn't GRob-level dysfunction--it was a new QB who didn't have starts under his belt and wasn't on the same page with a pedestrian group of receivers. Poor execution: yes, but they can get better.

That's more than you could say for any GRob coached team.

Can't judge by crowd noise. The SU fans only had something to cheer about when we were on D.
Cheer before you have something to cheer about. Like on defense, I don't understand why our fans can't grasp that concept.

Cheer before you have something to cheer about. Like on defense, I don't understand why our fans can't grasp that concept.

Because we're not good football fans.

Great for hoops though.

Because we're not good football fans.

Great for hoops though.

Our fans are better in the Dome though. I was thrilled with today's turnout, but it was a different kind of crowd for us. Not very into it.

Our fans are better in the Dome though. I was thrilled with today's turnout, but it was a different kind of crowd for us. Not very into it.
Agreed. Most of our fans seemed too scared to get involved because we were outnumbered

I just don't understand the GRob era comparisons. First of all, under GRob we were so incredibly inept on both sides of the ball that the we generally weren't even competitive in any facet of the game.

Second, the offense was totally out of sync today, but again this wasn't GRob-level dysfunction--it was a new QB who didn't have starts under his belt and wasn't on the same page with a pedestrian group of receivers. Poor execution: yes, but they can get better.

That's more than you could say for any GRob coached team.

I envy those who compare this game with the GRob era- they have apparently forgotten what that was like and I wish I could too.

We're you there? Was far closer to 60/40 than 75/25.

They did make more noise. Our fans are kinda lame, but that's in general.
yes i was there

yes i was there

OK. There was a crowd of 61,000. So you're saying that there was 46,000 PSU fans and 15,000 SU fans?

There were more than 15,000 SU fans.

ok lets split it -- 20k cuse 40 k psu-- yes i think they doubled us at the very least

I had it 80/20. And I made a point to look all around the stadium throughout, just to get an accurate percentage. It was more lopsided then I even expected going in.

Seriously?

1st YR HC
Transfer QB starting
New OC
Graduated NFL OL leader

And you are comparing this to GROB. Frig an A...have some perspective and give them a chance.

44cuse

A GROB team would've responded to going down by a two-score deficit by turning it into a three-score deficit, then giving up another garbage time score. Not by getting in position for a game-winning drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom