My S-Curve 2/17/14 | Syracusefan.com

My S-Curve 2/17/14

Alsacs

Living Legend
Looking at resumes. Who have you beaten and played.
1. Syracuse
2. Florida
3. Arizona
4. Wichita State
5. Kansas
6. San Diego State
7. Duke
8. Villanova
9. Michigan State
10. Cincinnati
11. Creighton
12. Wisconsin
13. Virginia
14. Michigan
15. Texas
16. Iowa State
17. Kentucky
18. Iowa
19. Louisville
20. UConn
21. St. Louis
22. Ohio State
23. Oklahoma
24. UCLA
25. North Carolina
26. Memphis
27. Gonzaga
28. Arizona State
29. Kansas State
30. California
31. Pittsburgh
32. Stanford
33. VCU
34. George Washington
35. Minnesota
36. SMU

East-New York, NY
1. Syracuse
2. Villanova
3. Cincinnati
4. Michigan
5. Louisville
6. Ohio State
7. Memphis
8. Stanford
9. VCU

South-Memphis, TN
1. Florida
2. Duke
3. Creighton
4. Texas
5.UConn
6. Oklahoma
7. Gonzaga
8. California
9. SMU

West- Anaheim, CA
1. Arizona
2. San Diego State
3. Wisconsin
4. Iowa State
5. Kentucky
6. UCLA
7. North Carolina
8. Kansas State
9. Minnesota

South-Indianapolis, IN
1. Wichita State
2. Kansas
3. Michigan State
4. Virginia
5. Iowa
6. St. Louis
7. Arizona State
8. Pittsburgh
9. George Washington

Pretty good but you are waaaay off base with Louisville. Eye test has to be factored in and they are a dangerous basketball team right now with tons of post season experience.

Sign me up!

Agree with Marsh...UL is a 2 seed, 3 at worst with me.

Pretty good but you are waaaay off base with Louisville. Eye test has to be factored in and they are a dangerous basketball team right now with tons of post season experience.
They have beaten NOBODY. I agree they are dangerous, but their best wins are SMU at home, and @ UConn that is not a resume worth anything more than a 5 seed right now. Its why I have Pitt as an 8 seed. The eye test has them as a top 20 team, but they haven't beaten anybody to justify it.

They have beaten NOBODY. I agree they are dangerous, but their best wins are SMU at home, and @ UConn that is not a resume worth anything more than a 5 seed right now. Its why I have Pitt as an 8 seed. The eye test has them as a top 20 team, but they haven't beaten anybody to justify it.

Thats all fine and well but I can say the 11 teams you have immediately ranked ahead of them I would rather play both right now and in the tournament. If I see Louisville on the 4 seed line in the East I am going to break my new 60 inch TV.

Resume means nothing when you have a team with the experience they have and the coach they have.

Pitt is an 8 seed. When they lost Durand Johnson their previous wins/losses became irrelevant.

Not a bad list, although I do agree with those above that Louisville is much more dangerous than their current 5-seed designation, even if their resume doesn't support more than that at this time.

I'm gonna pick a nit here and question your usage of the term "S-Curve" since the committee doesn't use that any more, but instead just puts teams on seed lines.

Lville is a scary team right now, their resume isn't great, but they ace the eye test, if they win out, they got a shot at a two seed.

Want no part of VCU in the 2nd round game (and the havoc press) and certainly not Ville/Michigan (especially Ville...Pitino knows how to kill the zone). Hopefully they get placed elsewhere.

Louisville or cincy will be a two out of the AAC. Whoever finishes second in that conference will be a three. Louisville would get Memphis in my estimation if they are a three. Duke should end up being the two and Florida the one in that region. I can see it playing out that way very easily.

mine:

1- Syracuse
2- Florida
3- Arizona
4- Wichita State
5- Kansas
6- Duke
7- Villanova
8- Michigan State
9- Wisconsin
10- Michigan
11- San Diego State(admit I haven't seen them much)
12- Creighton
13- Kentucky
14- Iowa
15- Cincinnati
16- Virginia
17- Iowa State
18- Texas
19- UCLA
20- St Louis
21- Louisville
22- Ohio State
23- Oklahoma
24- Connecticut
25- North Carolina
26- Memphis
27- Kansas State
28- Pittsburgh
29- VCU
30- Umass
31- Gonzaga
32- Xavier
33- Arizona State
34- California
35- New Mexico
36- George Washington

East:
1- Syracuse
2- Villanova
3- Michigan
4- Kentucky

South:
1- Florida
2- Duke
3- Wisconsin
4- Cincinnati

Midwest:
1-Wichita State
2- Kansas
3- Creighton
4- Iowa

West:
1-Arizona
2-Michigan State
3- San Diego State
4- Virginia

Not a bad list, although I do agree with those above that Louisville is much more dangerous than their current 5-seed designation, even if their resume doesn't support more than that at this time.

I'm gonna pick a nit here and question your usage of the term "S-Curve" since the committee doesn't use that any more, but instead just puts teams on seed lines.

the committee ranks the teams 1-68 after selecting the field before putting the bracket together

the committer ranks the teams 1-68 after selecting the field before putting the bracket together

Maybe so, but it's not an S-Curve anymore. S-Curve implies 1-8-9-16; 2-7-10-15; 3-6-11-14; 4-5-12-13 regions (or as close as they could get). This is no longer the case. More emphasis is put on what seed line a team is on, and then slotted into a region based upon geography (allowing for other bracketing principles). This has been their goal with the new bracketing principles so teams are not forced to move off their true seed line as much as before.

When teams are voted on, they're voted on seed lines. There may be some additional rankings within those seed lines but it matters little when it comes to bracketing. They do some seed scrubbing after teams are voted in confirming teams belong on the lines they're currently on.

Lville is a scary team right now, their resume isn't great, but they ace the eye test, if they win out, they got a shot at a two seed.
Or higher...that may be just me, but I do not want to play them, and we have beaten them often.

Go look at Louisville resume in 2005 when they were in their last year in Conference USA. They went about 30-3 and made the Final Four, but they were given a 4 seed because their schedule sucked. AAC= CUSA and Louisville beat nobody in the non-conference they aren't going to be above a 4 seed. They are dangerous and scary, but beyond Hancock their 3 pt shooting isn't scary and without Bennahan and just Harrell I think we beat them. Smith doesn't scare me.

I agree with Alsacs that as of now Louisville is a 5 seed.

Although they can move up to a 3 seed, and with a good run a 2 seed.

Their acc sched is back loaded. They still have games with uconn, smu, memphis, cincy.. 3 of which are on the road. And they will play 2 good team in AAC tourney.

They have the opportunity to move up quote a bit.

I disagree with the comparison to 2004 cusa. Similar programs, but 2014 AAC provides better challenges and better resume opportunity.

Looking at resumes. Who have you beaten and played.
1. Syracuse
2. Florida
3. Arizona
4. Wichita State
5. Kansas
6. San Diego State
7. Duke
8. Villanova
9. Michigan State
10. Cincinnati
11. Creighton
12. Wisconsin
13. Virginia
14. Michigan
15. Texas
16. Iowa State
17. Kentucky
18. Iowa
19. Louisville
20. UConn
21. St. Louis
22. Ohio State
23. Oklahoma
24. UCLA
25. North Carolina
26. Memphis
27. Gonzaga
28. Arizona State
29. Kansas State
30. California
31. Pittsburgh
32. Stanford
33. VCU
34. George Washington
35. Minnesota
36. SMU

East-New York, NY
1. Syracuse
2. Villanova
3. Cincinnati
4. Michigan
5. Louisville
6. Ohio State
7. Memphis
8. Stanford
9. VCU

South-Memphis, TN
1. Florida
2. Duke
3. Creighton
4. Texas
5.UConn
6. Oklahoma
7. Gonzaga
8. California
9. SMU

West- Anaheim, CA
1. Arizona
2. San Diego State
3. Wisconsin
4. Iowa State
5. Kentucky
6. UCLA
7. North Carolina
8. Kansas State
9. Minnesota

South-Indianapolis, IN
1. Wichita State
2. Kansas
3. Michigan State
4. Virginia
5. Iowa
6. St. Louis
7. Arizona State
8. Pittsburgh
9. George Washington

Since I always look at how easy (or uneasy) it would be to place UConn in the East.

If that was indeed the rankings, I think UConn and Louisville would be switched in your bracket. It would make sense from a geographic perspective, and since teams are in same conference it would be an easy switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom