Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23) | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23)

Can't find any info on Hima (not that I've looked that hard). Anyone know his status?
I think he’s just buried in the rotation. He should just RS this year and then grad transfer with two years of eligibility. Education seems pretty important to him.

McLeod's performance against Colgate is perhaps the worst performance by a starting center at a P5 school that I can remember. I really hope that was a fluke and doesn't happen again.

It really wasn't at all. He missed several rebounds and got beat on smart cuts by Colgate. It wasn't by any means a good game but this is wild lol. There was a ton of bad defense being played in the first 24 mins.

It really wasn't at all. He missed several rebounds and got beat on smart cuts by Colgate. It wasn't by any means a good game but this is wild lol. There was a ton of bad defense being played in the first 24 mins.
I don’t know, he wasn’t even trying to rebound. At one point a missed shot bounced off him. And take into account it was a mid major opponent, not Edey.

I think he’s just buried in the rotation. He should just RS this year and then grad transfer with two years of eligibility. Education seems pretty important to him.

Hima’s knees have been bothering him. Appears he wears a different warmup during warmups too which he doesn’t go all our on. If healthy I have no doubt he’d get some minutes. Not a lot but some.

I don’t know, he wasn’t even trying to rebound. At one point a missed shot bounced off him. And take into account it was a mid major opponent, not Edey.
I remember the shot that come off the backboard and hit him Colgate grabbed the ball. Of course there were tons of terrible defense going on at the same time it just seemed to be another mishap!

Don't give up so quickly. He's certainly the equal of Jeremy McNeil, and we won a championship with him. Give him some time to blend in with the other new guys. This is a young team that has to build some inter-personal chemistry.
Exactly. Some are so quick to pass final judgement. Jesse looked like crap for a couple years, then blossomed.
If Naheim puts it all together in the near future, he'll be a big time asset to the program

FWIW. Jesse averaged 1.9/2.6 in his second year. He did much better in his 3rd season.
I think McLeod can play better than he showed the other night but that’s a pretty low bar.
You’re right, I forget those guys got Covid years.

One thing about Naheem - even as a junior he is still growing based on the article earlier in the year. I wonder if that plays a role. At times there are certain reactions he can't seem to make fast enough. It's very possible it's not always a matter of effort.

I think a lot of his problems come because is so tall. He is having to look down to locate anyone. He has no peripheral vision really to use to his advantage. It is easy for him to lose track of the ball. He needs to learn to anticipate a lot better.He will be better against bigger teams I hope.

I think a lot of his problems come because is so tall. He is having to look down to locate anyone. He has no peripheral vision really to use to his advantage. It is easy for him to lose track of the ball. He needs to learn to anticipate a lot better.He will be better against bigger teams I hope.
I'm sure it's not easy being 7'4 and I know I've said it a million times, "if I was 7 feet tall", but it naturally takes those big guys a lot longer to develop their skills. That's why guys like Wemby really stand out for having the game he does.

I'm curious if we play Purdue how he does vs Zach Edey.

I don’t know anything about Naheem , but he doesn’t seem driven. He is 7’4” and he plays basketball. He doesn’t strike me as someone that lives in the gym working to get better. He doesn’t fight for position and pin his guy. If he dedicated himself to the game, he could be Zach Edey. I know Edey was player of the year, but he doesn’t do anything spectacular. He just knows how to play basketball and he uses his size to his advantage.

Last edited:
I don’t know anything about Nadeem, but he doesn’t seem driven. He is 7’4” and he plays basketball. He doesn’t strike me as someone that lives in the gym working to get better. He doesn’t fight for position and pin his guy. If he dedicated himself to the game, he could be Zach Edey. I know Edey was player of the year, but he doesn’t do anything spectacular. He just knows how to play basketball and he uses his size to his advantage.
I think you generally have good takes but I don't agree with you on this. Just because someone is 7 foot it doesn't guarantee them a golden ticket. Rudy Gobert has worked really hard to get to where he is and he still doesn't have any offensive game beyond three feet.

We've hosted two different 7 footers at our house that played ball with a family member. One was on a strict diet to lose weight and would order salad when we went out and the other one could eat all he wanted and still couldn't gain enough weight. I'm putting McLeod in that camp.

We don't know how much time he spends in the gym. Like I said in my other post, I've said a million times "if I was 7 foot" but nothing is guaranteed. Let's hope it clicks for him at some point or it click for Carey or the Freshman (who I think has a huge upside).

I think you generally have good takes but I don't agree with you on this. Just because someone is 7 foot it doesn't guarantee them a golden ticket. Rudy Gobert has worked really hard to get to where he is and he still doesn't have any offensive game beyond three feet.

We've hosted two different 7 footers at our house that played ball with a family member. One was on a strict diet to lose weight and would order salad when we went out and the other one could eat all he wanted and still couldn't gain enough weight. I'm putting McLeod in that camp.

We don't know how much time he spends in the gym. Like I said in my other post, I've said a million times "if I was 7 foot" but nothing is guaranteed. Let's hope it clicks for him at some point or it click for Carey or the Freshman (who I think has a huge upside).
I think it’s even simpler than that. My theory on big guys comes down to demographics. There are many many more people 6’ tall than there are 7’ tall. So teams take more chances on 7 footers that are athletic enough to play at this level. Most never develop and the ones that do are rare.

Yeah, he could work his ass off, I don't know. But, if he did and he still had no understanding of positioning on either offense or defense, that would be crazy bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom