Nate Oats to Alabama | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats to Alabama

My next coach Wish List

1. Hopkins
2. Oats
3. John Beilein.

Let's see what Hops can do. He hasn't exactly won a ton of a games (with good recruits) in an awful conference.

Want to see a coach in waiting named (Autry) and let JB stay until he is ready. At least it lets the recruits know who the next guy is. If Autry fails after 2 years you can go outside to a Oats or something.

Beilein is almost as old as Boeheim. I’d say his son Pat but then he got involved in his messy situation.

Yeah and the last I've heard, Pat is out of coaching completely and going into the business world on the sports periphery.

Want to see a coach in waiting named (Autry) and let JB stay until he is ready. At least it lets the recruits know who the next guy is. If Autry fails after 2 years you can go outside to a Oats or something.

WHY???

Does ANY other program name a Coach in Waiting, EVER???
NO.

And don't get me wrong - I *heart* Red, and think he'd be an excellent successor to JB.
But - ONLY after we've conducted an extensive, National search when the time comes.

Coaches come and go all the time with no named successor. It's just how it is.
Most programs somehow manage to survive this.
We will too.

WHY???

NO.

And don't get me wrong - I *heart* Red, and think he'd be an excellent successor to JB.
But - ONLY after we've conducted an extensive, National search when the time comes.

We will too.

Yeah. Plus we already tried the “coach in waiting” thing. Didn’t work out.

Hop was named a CIW largely because he was getting serious interest for jobs like USC. We needed to do something to keep him here. Autry will most likely not get those kind of offers within the next 2 years. No need to name anyone CIW

Syracuse is an elite program with excellent facilities and tradition. The next coach should reflect that.

The more I think about it, I don’t see Autry as the guy. Too many unknowns. He does have some Team USA experience but would be better prepared if he had some HC success.

Hop helped himself by having success in the Pac 12. He’s also an elite recruiter with both Team USA and NY ties

Oats is an intriguing prospect with strong recruiting results and NY ties. Still needs to prove himself in the SEC.

Donovan is interesting as he’s been successful in both the NCAA and NBA. He also has NY ties.

He had talent all over the court at UW last year. Didn't help. Big step back.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Red.
By all over the court I assume you mean Stewart. I guess he was all over the court since he ran up and down it. The rest of the team was not good or talented. McDaniel's was awful just about the whole year. The rest of the team was not great outside of Green who was not eligible. Naz, Hardy and a bunch of other kids struggled without Green.

By all over the court I assume you mean Stewart. I guess he was all over the court since he ran up and down it. The rest of the team was not good or talented. McDaniel's was awful just about the whole year. The rest of the team was not great outside of Green who was not eligible. Naz, Hardy and a bunch of other kids struggled without Green.

Losing QG hurt, agreed. But...he recruited big time guys in Steward and McDaniel (who seemed to be a me-first headcase) so those are his guys.

I love Red, great dude. But I would rather hire a known commodity with Head Coaching experience.

I think it should be

1A-Hopkins
1B-Oats

I wouldn’t say Autry is “settling” by any means but Cuse will be a job a lot of coaches want.
-Top Notch Facilities
-Historic Program
-The Dome
-Rabid Fanbase
-Terrific Alum
-In a great recruiting basketball area (think of all the great players that have come out of NY and the Northeast) the last few years and will be coming out of here in the next couple. Have some great Prep schools not too far away either.

Just look at the recruiting job Oats is doing at Bama. If be can recruit Bama Basketball like that think what he will do at Cuse. He’s obviously a great coach, look what he did at Buffalo. I think this upcoming year and the year after will be big years for him at Bama. He has the talent, now he needs to show how could of a coach he is.

If I was a betting man and my life depended on me saying who are next coach would be in a few years. I would say Oats at the moment.

I love Red, great dude. But I would rather hire a known commodity with Head Coaching experience.

I think it should be

1A-Hopkins
1B-Oats

I wouldn’t say Autry is “settling” by any means but Cuse will be a job a lot of coaches want.
-Top Notch Facilities
-Historic Program
-The Dome
-Rabid Fanbase
-Terrific Alum
-In a great recruiting basketball area (think of all the great players that have come out of NY and the Northeast) the last few years and will be coming out of here in the next couple. Have some great Prep schools not too far away either.

Just look at the recruiting job Oats is doing at Bama. If be can recruit Bama Basketball like that think what he will do at Cuse. He’s obviously a great coach, look what he did at Buffalo. I think this upcoming year and the year after will be big years for him at Bama. He has the talent, now he needs to show how could of a coach he is.

If I was a betting man and my life depended on me saying who are next coach would be in a few years. I would say Oats at the moment.

Sorry - you're dead. :p

The next coach in a few years, will be the same one - JB.

Syracuse is an elite program with excellent facilities and tradition. The next coach should reflect that.

The more I think about it, I don’t see Autry as the guy. Too many unknowns. He does have some Team USA experience but would be better prepared if he had some HC success.

Hop helped himself by having success in the Pac 12. He’s also an elite recruiter with both Team USA and NY ties

Oats is an intriguing prospect with strong recruiting results and NY ties. Still needs to prove himself in the SEC.

Donovan is interesting as he’s been successful in both the NCAA and NBA. He also has NY ties.

Spot on re: Red.

He might make a list of candidates, but likely wouldn't stack up against more qualified alternatives.

JW loves Oats. When UB came in and put on a clinic on us, he was in awe.

I just want a Head Coach that will actually do some of the heavy lifting in recruiting

Also, I would be more worried about “keeping” Red after this season. He’s gonna get offered HC gigs

WHY???

NO.

We will too.

Agreed. It would be asinine to delimit our search to only internal candidates. What rationale would the AD have to tie his own hands in such a manner? $$$ might have been an issue in the past, but isn't anymore.

JW will conduct a national search and do proper due diligence. This will be a highly coveted position. May the best candidate win.

Also, I would be more worried about “keeping” Red after this season. He’s gonna get offered HC gigs

I'm perplexed as to why he hasn't interviewed (to my knowledge) anywhere yet.

Agreed. Which I am okay with. We would just need to hire an assistant that can kill it on the recruiting trail to replace him. Let Red get the head coaching experience elsewhere and if he kills it. Give him a call when JB retires.

I don't see why we wouldnt give Red a shot. It's not like he has only experience here. Also Red is 48, not like he is a young pup. I mean I get that he doesn't have the HC experience but again he is no spring chicken, is well connected and has seemingly been a power recruiter.

I don't see why we wouldnt give Red a shot. It's not like he has only experience here. Also Red is 48, not like he is a young pup. I mean I get that he doesn't have the HC experience but again he is no spring chicken, is well connected and has seemingly been a power recruiter.

My feeling...if we keep recruiting like this and have a couple big seasons on the court, I’d feel good about turning it over to Red.

We keep going 18-14 every year, and I want the outside hire.

This. And, not to get too political here, but it would not hurt SU to have African-American head coaches in MBB, WBB and FB.

I had said this in another thread. It would be a powerful message. That said I don't disagree with DW on 18-14 being a trend. It becomes imperative to then have a clean break of sorts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom