Nate Oats to Alabama | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats to Alabama

It's easy to say that he could have potentially gotten a better job had he waited, but we don't really know that. He could have easily passed on the Alabama job and then not gotten another power 5 offer and then he's stuck returning to a UB squad that's losing basically all of their players and hoping his sheen doesn't wear off. In my opinion, when you're offered a huge leap, you take it because it might never come again.

and then he's stuck returning to a UB squad that's losing basically all of their players and hoping his sheen doesn't wear off.

I can't stand how most people keep saying this.

Yes he would've been losing a lot of seniors but UB was also getting two senior transfers. Antwain Johnson won a game in the tournament with Middle Tennessee State over 5 seed Minnesota in 2016-17.

They also had three highly regarded JUCOs coming. And some good freshmen and other good returnees.

UB was still going to be really good.

Hopefully if they hire Hodgson (who recruited almost everyone) that will stop some of the players from transferring. I know they're losing a couple already though.

Last edited:

Yes he would've been losing a lot of seniors but UB was also getting two senior transfers. Antwain Johnson won a game in the tournament with Middle Tennessee State over 5 seed Minnesota in 2016-17.

They also had three highly regarded JUCOs coming. And some good freshmen and other good returnees.

UB was still going to be really good. Hopefully if they hire Hodgson (who recruited almost everyone) that will stop some of the players from transferring. I know they're losing a couple already though.

They only have 4 commitments despite having 8 outgoing seniors and their recruiting class is ranked outside the top 100.

Maybe Oats and Hodgson are smarter than everyone else and those lowly rated recruits are actually studs, but you're playing with fire if you're depending on Juco guys to be your entire team every year.

They only have 4 commitments despite having 8 outgoing seniors and their recruiting class is ranked outside the top 100.

Maybe Oats and Hodgson are smarter than everyone else and those lowly rated recruits are actually studs, but you're playing with fire if you're depending on Juco guys to be your entire team every year.

Wrong. I already laid this out in another thread what they had left and coming. Should I do it again?

Sr transfers

G - Antwain Johnson
SF - Gabe Grant

JUCOs

PF - James Rojas
PF - Andre Allen
SG - Durey Cadwell

Incoming freshman

G - Noah Williams
C - Raymond Hawkins (going to Alabama now probably)

I'm sure some of them will be leaving now but those were all the new players coming next year. Not to mention some really good returning players.

Last edited:
Wrong. I already laid this out in another thread what they had left and coming. Should I do it again?

Sr transfers

G - Antwain Johnson
SF - Gabe Grant

JUCOs

PF - James Rojas
PF - Andre Allen
SG - Durey Cadwell

Incoming freshman

G - Noah Williams

I'm sure some of them will be leaving now but those were all the new players coming next year. Not to mention some really good returning players.

I said that you're playing with fire if you're depending on Juco guys (really meant transfers in general) to be your entire team. You countered by showing that a team that went basically 7 deep is losing 5 of those guys and replacing them almost entirely with transfers. You basically proved my point. If god forbid these guys aren't ready to make the jump from Juco, or in the case of Grant, barely playing, UB would have been terrible next season.

Next season's team, had Oats stayed, would have been entirely comprised of guys that fall into one of these categories:
1. Transfers
2. Guys that struggled this season for UB
3. A couple incoming 3 star recruits (1 of which hadn't even committed yet)

Even in a best case scenario, there's almost no chance that he would have replicated this season's success again next year. His profile was probably at its peak this season if he didn't leave for a higher profile job.

I said that you're playing with fire if you're depending on Juco guys (really meant transfers in general) to be your entire team. You countered by showing that a team that went basically 7 deep is losing 5 of those guys and replacing them almost entirely with transfers. You basically proved my point. If god forbid these guys aren't ready to make the jump from Juco, or in the case of Grant, barely playing, UB would have been terrible next season.

Next season's team, had Oats stayed, would have been entirely comprised of guys that fall into one of these categories:
1. Transfers
2. Guys that struggled this season for UB
3. A couple incoming 3 star recruits (1 of which hadn't even committed yet)

Even in a best case scenario, there's almost no chance that he would have replicated this season's success again next year. His profile was probably at its peak this season if he didn't leave for a higher profile job.

It's Saint Doug 2.0.
You strike while the iron is hot, because you may never get another chance.
Bird in the hand.

$2.5m for 4 years is $10m.
Who says no to that, coming from where he is/was??
Dude TRIPLED his salary.

(and please, for the love of Boeheim, don't bring up the "it's only XXX after taxes" trope :rolleyes:)

Little basketball tradition.
Not much local talent.
He has little contact to that area.
Not a top job in that conference.

He got paid. Which is fine. If he sucks he got his money. If he gets to the Tournament 3 times in 4 years like he did at Buffalo then he will get better job offers.
so, i guess its a good job

You knew that was coming. Senior laden team and two successful NCAA tourney appearances it was only a matter of time before a Power 5 school came calling.

If they hold onto those kids, he's done very well by Buffalo.

This is like that Cornell guy who jumped for the Boston College job.

Only Chestnut Hill is about a million times nicer than Tuscaloosa.

Oh well, his business, not mine. But LOL at that life choice.

We'll find out. I think Oats is more charismatic and can recruit.

Steve Donohue never struck me as a guy who was going to do well at a higher level.

Bet you'd like a Mulligan on this post.;)

No, I'm OK with it.
He needs to coach at a Power 5 school.
Alabama is a perfect place. If he succeeds, he gets the credit, if he fails, well, it's a football school, right?
The SEC is finally getting serious about basketball, which is good.
That doesn't mean the ACC still isn't the best college basketball league in the country, and he didn't grow up an Orange fan. That didn't just go away because he got a lot of money to go to Alabama.

Little basketball tradition.
Not much local talent.
He has little contact to that area.
Not a top job in that conference.

He got paid. Which is fine. If he sucks he got his money. If he gets to the Tournament 3 times in 4 years like he did at Buffalo then he will get better job offers.

Exactly. It's low risk. Even if he doesn't do great here, he'll survive.
And if he does well, that makes him an even better candidate down the road.
ACC > SEC.

UB was still going to be really good.

Hopefully if they hire Hodgson (who recruited almost everyone) that will stop some of the players from transferring. I know they're losing a couple already though.

Yeah, if it was you who gave us their recruiting info, it sounded like he was putting together a very solid class. I hope Buffalo can hold on to them, or at least most of them. It will help take away the sting for the next guy and for the fans.

Sr transfers

G - Antwain Johnson
SF - Gabe Grant

JUCOs

PF - James Rojas
PF - Andre Allen
SG - Durey Cadwell

Incoming freshman

G - Noah Williams

Allen has already asked for his release.

I think Oats could have turned Buffalo into a MAC superpower and had better opportunities.
I never besmirch a person for cashing out as he can fail and he will have the money.
Alabama just doesn’t seem like a good fit but hey the got paid Mozel Tov.

Buffalo could have become Gonzaga Lite.
Hurley = Dan Monson
Oats could have been the Mark Few.
Monson built Gonzaga. Got to the Elite 8 and then jumped to Minnesota for money.
He lasted 7 years and flamed out.
Few has made Gonzaga into a power.

Surprised Oats didn’t get a better job. Virginia Tech is going to open when Buzz goes to Texas A&M.

VPI doesn’t have much tradition but that job appears better than Alabama.
You’re dreaming if you think Buffalo could be a MAC superpower. Gonzaga is a vey unique situation because Mark Few is a unique coach. Not only is he one of the greats, but 95 percent of other coaches would have left Gonzaga for a top-tier or elite job after 5-10 years of success. But Few is a rare breed like JB. He loves it there. If Few has left, Gonzaga would be solid mid major but nowhere near where they are today.

Last edited:
Time to start a CBB coaching carousel?

Idk where the original Avery Johnson fired thread is..

Wow that hiring seems a bit uninspired. Maybe he does better on the west coast like he did at Nevada though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom