NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

Plus he leaves almost $50 mil on the table just to go east. He must have really hated it in Utah.
Rumblings I'm hearing is the wife really didn't want to stick around and that may have loomed large. Not sure how much I trust who I'm hearing that from though, and that wouldn't have been the determining factor for Boston, just the determining factor in leaving and then Hayward made his choice.

The really unfortunate thing for the Jazz is the timing on all of this. They're going to have to get creative.

Rumblings I'm hearing is the wife really didn't want to stick around and that may have loomed large. Not sure how much I trust who I'm hearing that from though, and that wouldn't have been the determining factor for Boston, just the determining factor in leaving and then Hayward made his choice.

The really unfortunate thing for the Jazz is the timing on all of this. They're going to have to get creative.
His wife is going to hate Boston. It sounds like she would have preferred Miami. At least in Utah, she had people she was friendly with.

Yes, Jazz have work to do. Sounded like Otto Porter was an option but he signed with the Nets. Maybe Rudy Gay for one year. Lindsey was probably up all night working the phones. Maybe Crowder comes to Utah. Celtics have to dump him.

Favors, Exum, Diaw's expiring contract and 2nd round picks for a one year rental of Carmelo Anthony. If he'd waive his no trade clause, would the Knicks do that?

They have work to do to prevent an unbalanced roster. I can see some Celtics fans not being happy with the Hayward signing.
Celtics fans are fine.
They are losing Kelly Olynyk, Jonas Jerebko, Gerald Green and then one of Marcus Smart or Jae Crowder.

They are bringing in Gordon Hayward, Jayson Tatum, Ante Zizic, and 2 other rookies. They will give more minutes to Jaylen Brown.

They have 7 first round picks in the next 3 drafts.
They can resign Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and will have a mid level exemption to give a veteran.

Celtics fans are fine.
They are losing Kelly Olynyk, Jonas Jerebko, Gerald Green and then one of Marcus Smart or Jae Crowder.

They are bringing in Gordon Hayward, Jayson Tatum, Ante Zizic, and 2 other rookies. They will give more minutes to Jaylen Brown.

They have 7 first round picks in the next 3 drafts.
They can resign Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and will have a mid level exemption to give a veteran.

Considering they whiffed on the trade options, I can't see how any Celtics fan would be against the Hayward signing. Very good move I think.

The roster is a little unbalanced; I wonder if they move Crowder or Smart. It does seem like they have a lot of 3's, but do you really want to trust Brown and Tatum with big minutes? If you keep Crowder and move Smart, that makes Rozier the third guard, right? I think i like that better.

Favors, Exum, Diaw's expiring contract and 2nd round picks for a one year rental of Carmelo Anthony. If he'd waive his no trade clause, would the Knicks do that?

It's a non starter since Melo isn't going there, but yeah, I would do it. I'm fine just getting Melo off the team and moving on. I'm also less convinced now than I have been in the past that Melo opts out of the 2018-19 contract, fwiw.

Considering they whiffed on the trade options, I can't see how any Celtics fan would be against the Hayward signing. Very good move I think.

The roster is a little unbalanced; I wonder if they move Crowder or Smart. It does seem like they have a lot of 3's, but do you really want to trust Brown and Tatum with big minutes? If you keep Crowder and move Smart, that makes Rozier the third guard, right? I think i like that better.

It's a non starter since Melo isn't going there, but yeah, I would do it. I'm fine just getting Melo off the team and moving on. I'm also less convinced now than I have been in the past that Melo opts out of the 2018-19 contract, fwiw.
Smart has more value than Crowder for the Celtics.

PG-Thomas
SG- Bradley
SF- Hayward
PF- Horford
C- Zizic

Bench, Smart or Crowder, Rozier, Tatum, Brown, Mickey, Yabusele, Theis, MLE,

PG-Thomas
SG- Bradley
SF- Hayward
PF- Horford
C- Zizic

I hear what you're saying, but I'm just not sure you want to rely on Tatum or Brown for much next year. Zizic you can't pencil in for a ton of minutes, so Horford is probably going to see a lot of minutes at the 5, meaning Crowder has a lot of value.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, the Celtics don't have the MLE available, since they're operating under the cap. And I thought I saw that Mickey was going to be renounced to make room.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm just not sure you want to rely on Tatum or Brown for much next year. Zizic you can't pencil in for a ton of minutes, so Horford is probably going to see a lot of minutes at the 5, meaning Crowder has a lot of value.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, the Celtics don't have the MLE available, since they're operating under the cap. And I thought I saw that Mickey was going to be renounced to make room.
Mickey doesn't have to dropped if they trade Crowder. His 7 million would be more than Smart's 4 million.

So if they trade Crowder they can keep Mickey.

Last edited:
Forgive me my ignorance. I'm obviously out of my depth in this. This link was shocking:

Highest-paid NBA players by season - Wikipedia
NBA salaries have exploded since last summer when the cap went up 30 million because of TV money.
Max salaries are tied to your previous contract, experience, and all-league status.

Steph Curry just signed the richest deal of alltime 5 years 202 million.

23 million for one year is a bargain in the NBA salaries nowadays.

His wife is going to hate Boston. It sounds like she would have preferred Miami. At least in Utah, she had people she was friendly with.

Yes, Jazz have work to do. Sounded like Otto Porter was an option but he signed with the Nets. Maybe Rudy Gay for one year. Lindsey was probably up all night working the phones. Maybe Crowder comes to Utah. Celtics have to dump him.
lol Why is his wife going to hate Boston? It is a great city. Tough to drive in but a great city.

They have work to do to prevent an unbalanced roster. I can see some Celtics fans not being happy with the Hayward signing.
Celtic fans are very happy with the signing. Tune in to Boston sports radio. weei or the sports hub. Boston fans are celebrating. This is just one more step in to becoming a power. With the future draft choices (probably will trade them) the Celtics are very well positioned. It also doesn't hurt to be in the East.

lol Why is his wife going to hate Boston? It is a great city. Tough to drive in but a great city.
She hates cold weather. That's why they have a house in San Diego and why Miami was on the list.

NBA salaries have exploded since last summer when the cap went up 30 million because of TV money.
Max salaries are tied to your previous contract, experience, and all-league status.

Steph Curry just signed the richest deal of alltime 5 years 202 million.

23 million for one year is a bargain in the NBA salaries nowadays.

yeah but for Redick? I wouldn't call it a bargain. It's fine, the Sixers have a ton of cap space and overpaid for one year so they didn't have to give him more than that. But it's likely more than he's "worth" if we had some way of perfectly quantifying that.

PG-Thomas
SG- Bradley
SF- Hayward
PF- Horford
C- Zizic

Cs had to take this shot. It's like Houston in the west. While they may not have a top 7 guy in the league, they are set up to be better than the Wiz or the Raps.

Philly is still too young and the Bucks still need to figure a few things out before making a serious leap.

All it takes is Bron leaving after next year and then you are in the Finals. Once you get there, you at least have a shot.

All of this while having young guys getting better (I especially like Tatum).

Also, if somehow they can swing Ant Davis in the future, then you can be looking at a five year run of dominance in the east.

Last edited:
yeah but for Redick? I wouldn't call it a bargain. It's fine, the Sixers have a ton of cap space and overpaid for one year so they didn't have to give him more than that. But it's likely more than he's "worth" if we had some way of perfectly quantifying that.
I more meant that it was one year.
Redick for one year at max money is a bargain. It doesn't kill your cap space.

When Otto Porter is getting 4 years 112 million, Evan Turner 4 years 68 million, Allen Crabbe 4 years 74 million, Tyler Johnson 4 years 50 million and the TBA overpay Kelly Olynyk is going to get I am fine with 1 year 23 million as a bargain.

Gordon Hayward Is Exactly What The Celtics Needed

Too bad Prichard couldn't have waited 4 days to trade Paul George.

2 of Bradley, Smart, Crowder and multiple draft picks would have been a good deal.

That Memphis pick could be really sneaking good. At worst it will be late lottery IMO.
The Grizzlies have been passed in the west and lost Z-Bo.
It's the 2019 Memphis pick it's top 8 protected in 2019.
It's top 6 protected in 2020 and unprotected in 2021.

The Grizzlies could fall back in the West. Surprised that pick wasn't talked up.

I think one of Portland or Memphis will be passed this year by Minnesota.

Could this happen?
DD_D1ZLW0AADWGx

Is there any reason for Memphis to swap Love for Gasol? i guess Love is younger.

As for the Knicks; that's interesting; I think they'd try and flip Crowder at th e deadline or something, he has more value to a good team.

Could this happen?
DD_D1ZLW0AADWGx

Mannix is saying Gasol to the Cs, potentially.

The only things I would worry about it is 1) Gasol for K Love being worth it for Memphis, especially with Gasol being so beloved and 2) Would the Cavs want to be part of something that really improved the Celtics chances even more to be king of the east?

I really like the haul for the Knicks to have some assets that can be traded (or kept).

Mannix is saying Gasol to the Cs, potentially.

The only things I would worry about it is 1) Gasol for K Love being worth it for Memphis, especially with Gasol being so beloved and 2) Would the Cavs want to be part of something that really improved the Celtics chances even more to be king of the east?

I really like the haul for the Knicks to have some assets that can be traded (or kept).

Lebron would probably say yes, since next year is what he really cares about. Which means the Cavs would have to say yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom