NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 101 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

I wonder if the assistant GM made this deal behind the back of the actual GM because the Assistant GM is the son of the owner.
I feel bad for Knicks fans with Dolan.

Does Dolan have any kids?

Billy asked for a trade a while back. Timing is odd since they just lost KP, but who knows.

From Shams
New York is finalizing trade to send center Willy Hernangomez to Charlotte, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
From Woj
Charlotte is acquiring New York's Willy Hernangomez for Johnny O'Bryant and two future second-round picks, league source tells ESPN.

I don’t understand it. He has potential. Seems like a low return for a young player with upside. This season is a wash, why not play him for the rest of the year and maybe drive his value up?

I don’t understand it. He has potential. Seems like a low return for a young player with upside. This season is a wash, why not play him for the rest of the year and maybe drive his value up?
They don’t know what they’re doing.

Waaay to much $$ at the center position.

Hornacek and Management not on same page, he’s as good as gone after this year.

We will be lucky to see KP by next years ASG, and when we do...he’ll be a 5.

This blows.

Maybe the worst call of all time? Scary that she could miss that.

Please don’t give this ref any playoff assignments.
You can’t be that bad. When I saw it before the replay I said he slipped and then replay no one was close to him.

Please don’t give this ref any playoff assignments.
You can’t be that bad. When I saw it before the replay I said he slipped and then replay no one was close to him.

Yeah, that’s crazy. If he was actually close to defenders, a mistake could happen. There was a solid couple of feet of space or more between him and any defenders at all times! You can’t ref off players reactions.

Yeah, that’s crazy. If he was actually close to defenders, a mistake could happen. There was a solid couple of feet of space or more between him and any defenders at all times! You can’t ref off players reactions.
I live by the rule if you are a referee and I know your name you’re a terrible referee.

Can't believe the Hornets snagged Willy Hernangomez from NY for two 2nd round picks and O'Bryant. With Porzingis hurt, it makes zero sense. I've always been a Knicks fan but living in Charlotte I've come to enjoy following the Hornets too.

I had been hearing during the Kemba rumors that Hernangomez was a guy the Hornets were really high on. I'm shocked they landed him for so little.

That said, I fear that this trade means more moves are coming for Charlotte. I'm ok with dealing Kemba but not for Isaiah Thomas because I don't think he's half the player he was before his injury. Plus I kind of hope Lebron and company lay an egg in the playoffs.

I don't know what the Knicks can or should do at this point. I think they will regret trading Willy H away.

I think it's going to get wild the next 24 hours.

So Cedi Osman was the secret life force the Cavs needed this whole time? Looked like Bron was happy celebrating with him. IT, not so much.

Yeah it was a good win for the Cavs especially in the fashion it happened (considering Minnesota should have had the last shot). Not sure what that defense was last possession on James but credit them for making a great play to get him the ball.

That said. Does this change anything? Yeah, their offense came alive and they made shots but they still blew a lead late in the 4th and again their defense was terrible.

Yeah it was a good win for the Cavs especially in the fashion it happened (considering Minnesota should have had the last shot). Not sure what that defense was last possession on James but credit them for making a great play to get him the ball.

That said. Does this change anything? Yeah, their offense came alive and they made shots but they still blew a lead late in the 4th and again their defense was terrible.

The DJ trade rumors kicked up again this morning. All in all, I think Bron is gone, Gilbert doesn't want to give up that Bklyn pick...

They still gave up 138 points, even in OT that is a lot.

People get all excited when they can see game winning shots but guess what? You beat Minnesota at home. A team you should beat at home with the best player in the world. Now, if this game is the start of a little winning streak then sure, you could possibly point to this game as a "season changer". But I still saw a lot of negatives out there last night.

The DJ trade rumors kicked up again this morning. All in all, I think Bron is gone, Gilbert doesn't want to give up that Bklyn pick...

They still gave up 138 points, even in OT that is a lot.

Nor should he. Lot of studs in the top 10 you could still land depending on where the pick ends up.

Cleveland is more likely to trade Isaiah Thomas and contracts for Kemba Walker and Nicholas Batum than trading the Nets pick for Jordan.

Are those the only trades that seem to have any chance?

do we think anything crazy goes down before 3 today?

Are those the only trades that seem to have any chance?

do we think anything crazy goes down before 3 today?
This would be bold and it's just my own idea, but Love to the Jazz for Favors and Joe Johnson (both expiring) work. That could help shore up the Cavs defense in Favors and give them another vet off the bench, while getting more money off the books to start the rebuild in the off-season. For the Jazz, they'd get the en vogue "third star" to match with Gobert and Mitchell, and the floor spacing big they cover to play alongside Gobert. Plus, Gobert is such a force on defense Love's defense can suck and it's probably fine.

Isiah needs an off season to get himself into peak shape and come back. Unfortunately, that injury is the same one that pretty much ended Johnny Flynn's career, another explosive smaller type player. Isiah obviously being even smaller. I don't see Isiah ever getting a big contract because of this, sucks for him. His next contract will be smaller than the one he has I think but who knows

Has to suck going from a Brad Steven coached team to Cleveland, I mean really really suck

This would be bold and it's just my own idea, but Love to the Jazz for Favors and Joe Johnson (both expiring) work. That could help shore up the Cavs defense in Favors and give them another vet off the bench, while getting more money off the books to start the rebuild in the off-season. For the Jazz, they'd get the en vogue "third star" to match with Gobert and Mitchell, and the floor spacing big they cover to play alongside Gobert. Plus, Gobert is such a force on defense Love's defense can suck and it's probably fine.

Not a bad idea at all.

I like it from the Utah end. Love/Gobert would probably mesh well. If you're Cleveland, do you want to build with Love though? That said, if Lebron leaves in the summer, Love may demand a trade, and this way you have more leverage.

Cleveland is more likely to trade Isaiah Thomas and contracts for Kemba Walker and Nicholas Batum than trading the Nets pick for Jordan.

Here's my thing on that; if Gilbert thinks Lebron is gone, do you want to take on the Batum contract and add to your tax bill? (Maybe if you can dump Thompson? I guess?)

I like it from the Utah end. Love/Gobert would probably mesh well. If you're Cleveland, do you want to build with Love though? That said, if Lebron leaves in the summer, Love may demand a trade, and this way you have more leverage.

Here's my thing on that; if Gilbert thinks Lebron is gone, do you want to take on the Batum contract and add to your tax bill? (Maybe if you can dump Thompson? I guess?)

The interesting thing about Gilbert versus LeBron, I don't think either side wants to help the other and it's a pissing contest of monumental proportions. Gilbert should plan for the future and LeBron the same

The interesting thing about Gilbert versus LeBron, I don't think either side wants to help the other and it's a pissing contest of monumental proportions. Gilbert should plan for the future and LeBron the same

Gilbert should just flat out ask Bron what team he would waive his NTC for and trade him if he really wants to plan for the future (granted, the deadline is today, but still).

Gilbert should just flat out ask Bron what team he would waive his NTC for and trade him if he really wants to plan for the future (granted, the deadline is today, but still).

agreed, Cavs are a mess. Fire sale everything and then hire a legit GM at the end of the season. Blow it up, the roster is atrocious. Not enough time though to really do it

Agree 100%. It is an impossible situation, exacerbated by Lebron being so combative with ownership. Gilbert knows that despite the regular season difficulties they've faced this year, Lebron can put the team on his back in the playoffs and still get them to the finals, which is a disincentive to trading him. And if he DOES trade him, then the fanbase goes berzerk. But if he doesn't, and Lebron bails again as an UFA after the season, they lose him uncompensated... for a second time. So the options are:

• Don't trade him and cross your fingers for another miracle championship run, but lose him uncompensated at the end of the year, which will draw the fanbase's ire
OR
  • Trade him now since his departure is inevitable and the relationship is irrevocably damaged, and duck and cover for the inevitable fanbase backlash

I think their best course of action would be to do exactly what you say, and find out where he wants to go and accommodate his wishes, and get one of those 3 or 4 team trading deals that enables the Cavs to load up on assets and prepare for the future.

What I expect them to do is botch it somehow, lose in the conference finals putting a sour taste in everybody's mouth, and then be jilted again when Lebron takes his talents elsewhere.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom