NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

Knicks sign Tim Hardaway Jr. to 4 year 71 million offer sheet.

I wouldn't match if I were the Hawks.

But he's not better than Dion and Dion got 4 for 52.....oh yeah, it's the Knicks. SMH

But he's not better than Dion and Dion got 4 for 52...oh yeah, it's the Knicks. SMH
Yeah Nate Silver said Hardaway has gotten better but the Knicks gave him double what he is worth thru their metrics.

Yeah Nate Silver said Hardaway has gotten better but the Knicks gave him double what he is worth thru their metrics.

I'll be shocked if this isn't one of those "bad contracts" that's hurting them in a couple years.

I'll be shocked if this isn't one of those "bad contracts" that's hurting them in a couple years.
It's just a dumb contract. I get they needed to make it hard to get Atlanta to not match but damn Hardaway isn't worth 18 million per year.

This deal eats up cap space for the future.

Knicks were better off signing Rondo to a one year deal than this type of deal.

Where does Gordon Hayward get his suit for his press conference?
Jos A. Bank the night before.

DEFg-6fXsAALz5a

But he's not better than Dion and Dion got 4 for 52...oh yeah, it's the Knicks. SMH

The Knicks are just the worst.

Hardaway might be better than Dion though, and the Knicks I guess wanted to craft an offer Atlanta would be less likely to match, but yeah. This is terrible. The knicks were doing so well this off-season with this strategy of "not doing anything" and then they had to do this

The Knicks are just the worst.

Hardaway might be better than Dion though, and the Knicks I guess wanted to craft an offer Miami would be less likely to match, but yeah. This is terrible.
They're different players. THjr is an ok role player on most teams. Dion needs to be next to a guard who doesn't dominate the ball aka Dragic/Heat.

On the right team, Dion has a higher ceiling, on most teams though, Hardaway is the better fit.

He's not 4 years $71 mil though. Clearly our GMs become cracked out as soon as they take over.

Atlanta is going to rebuild they aren't going to match this stupid offer sheet. It's funny Brooklyn does a lot of tough offer sheets and they have been matched(Johnson, Crabbe, Porter)

Knicks do this one and it's unlikely to get matched.

Hope this doesn't kill your cap for next offseason.

This move sucks because Hardaway isn't a bum but he is good enough to prevent the Knicks from bottoming out.

They're different players. THjr is an ok role player on most teams. Dion needs to be next to a guard who doesn't dominate the ball aka Dragic/Heat.

On the right team, Dion has a higher ceiling, on most teams though, Hardaway is the better fit.

He's not 4 years $71 mil though. Clearly our GMs become cracked out as soon as they take over.

It's a terrible contract. the Hawks have a lot of cap space (i think??) so maybe they'll match but I dunno.

I hate to keep harping on this, but Dion really isn't any good. I get that he went to SU so there's an extra focus on him, but he's got a career true shooting of 49.1%. That's terrible. Even in his "breakout season", he was at 50.7%. There were 91 qualifying SG last year, Dion ranked 68th in true shooting. He's a decent playmaker, I will give him that, but he just doesn't shoot very well and he never has. It's hard to have a very good offense when a guy who shoots that poorly is taking up a lot of possessions.

Hardaway isn't any good either. He did have a pretty decent improvement last year, he can shoot, but from what I remember as a Knick, he's a truly terrible defender. This is just an awful contract.

I was curious, did some research. Dion had a usage rate of 26 and a true shooting of 50.7% last year. There were 5 players last year who had a true shooting below 52 and a usage over 25 last year. D'Angelo Russell, Wade, Zach Randolph, Reggie Jackson. Since Dion came into the league, there have been 44 such seasons; Dion accounts for 3 of those seasons. The only other guy to appear on the list 3 times is Kemba Walker; so hey, maybe there's hope.

Last edited:
the only good news about the hardaway thing, is that I no longer have to wonder if steve mills is right for the job.

hes not.

Melo is 25 & 7...and hes the guy we got to rid of so we can pay noah and now hardaway...:crazy::crazy::crazy::noidea::noidea::noidea::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

the only good news about the hardaway thing, is that I no longer have to wonder if steve mills is right for the job.

hes not.

Melo is 25 & 7...and hes the guy we got to rid of so we can pay noah and now hardaway...:crazy::crazy::crazy::noidea::noidea::noidea::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I am waiting to see Dennis Smith Jr and Malik Monk duke it our for ROY honors while you brush up on your French.

Boston trading Avery Bradley to Detroit for Marcus Morris.
This trade saves Boston the 3 million in cap space needed to fit Hayward in without a sign and trade.

Morris is a PF as well they can play Horford at C.

Boston trading Avery Bradley to Detroit for Marcus Morris.
I dont know about you but i do not understand this at all.

I dont know about you but i do not understand this at all.
Bradley had 1 year left. Boston has to pay Isaiah next offseason. They also can resign Marcus Smart now.
They weren't giving Avery Bradley 20 million per year as well. Too much luxury tax. One of Thomas/Bradley/Smart was gone next year.

One of Bradley/Smart/Crowder had to be moved now to fit Hayward in.

Bradley wasn't coming back and Crowder had more value.
Celtics saved the money now and they got a decent big and 2nd round pick from Detroit.

Basically because Golden State beat Cleveland in 5 games over 6 games lowered the cap from 102 million to 99 million because of TV money decreases.

The NBA will have a lot more longer series next postseason watch.

Bradley had 1 year left. Boston has to pay Isaiah next offseason. They also can resign Marcus Smart now.
They weren't giving Avery Bradley 20 million per year as well. Too much luxury tax. One of Thomas/Bradley/Smart was gone next year.

Celtics saved the money now and they got a decent big and 2nd round pick from Detroit.

Basically because Golden State beat Cleveland in 5 games over 6 games lowered the cap from 102 million to 99 million because of TV money decreases.

Sad. One of my favorite celtics and the last left from the big three era. Not gonna happen but id love if we resigned rondo.

Sad. One of my favorite celtics and the last left from the big three era. Not gonna happen but id love if we resigned rondo.
Lakers offered Julius Randle.
No idea what the Clippers offered.

Ainge decided Morris was the best option. Bradley is going to get pair next year. Team just couldn't afford to pay all 3 guys.

I think Ainge without any leverage at all got a decent player and did right by Bradley now.

I don't understand this trade for boston either. There has to be another shoe to drop.

Bradley was going to walk next year, fine. He's still a good player and he was their starting 2 guard. They now have a ton of guys who can play the wing, and Marcus Smart is their starting 2 guard? The guy who is one of the worst shooters in the league? Ok

I mean, this is extremely simplistic, right? That's 3 million per team, which is $90 million across the league, which means since the players get half, thats an extra $180 million in revenue. There has to be more to it than the finals going 5 instead of 7. (it was also all the prior series being so short) Though I did like my hot take that Steph threw game 4 of the finals to slightly increase his max salary, so I'll stick with it.

I don't understand this trade for boston either. There has to be another shoe to drop.

Bradley was going to walk next year, fine. He's still a good player and he was their starting 2 guard. They now have a ton of guys who can play the wing, and Marcus Smart is their starting 2 guard? The guy who is one of the worst shooters in the league? Ok

I mean, this is extremely simplistic, right? That's 3 million per team, which is $90 million across the league, which means since the players get half, thats an extra $180 million in revenue. There has to be more to it than the finals going 5 instead of 7. (it was also all the prior series being so short) Though I did like my hot take that Steph threw game 4 of the finals to slightly increase his max salary, so I'll stick with it.
Hayward and Jaylen Brown will play SG.
Isaiah is more of SG anyway. Rozier and Smart can be PGs.

ABC pays about 200 million dollars per Finals game.
Finals games are on broadcast TV thus cost the most.

The 5 game Finals series definitely lowered the cap. Cable broadcasts don't cost anything close to 200 million per game. They make good money I am sure but the Finals is where big bucks are made.

Remember Steph Curry's wife conspiracy last year in the Finals about extending the series.

Hayward and Jaylen Brown will play SG.
Isaiah is more of SG anyway. Rozier and Smart can be PGs.

I think Hayward and Brown at the 2 is a terrible idea. Wasn't Bradley covering a lot of the point guards that Isaiah couldn't cover (so, like, all of them?)
Smart is one of the worst shooters in the league. I really hate this deal for Boston, I have to assume there is another shoe to drop. They couldn't have just dumped Smart's salary?

Bradley is going to get paid next summer, agreed. Worry about that next summer. I wonder if the Knicks could have gotten Bradley for O'Quinn.

I think Hayward and Brown at the 2 is a terrible idea. Wasn't Bradley covering a lot of the point guards that Isaiah couldn't cover (so, like, all of them?)
Smart is one of the worst shooters in the league. I really hate this deal for Boston, I have to assume there is another shoe to drop. They couldn't have just dumped Smart's salary?

Bradley is going to get paid next summer, agreed. Worry about that next summer. I wonder if the Knicks could have gotten Bradley for O'Quinn.
Smart terrible defender?
You mean Isaiah right?

Smart is a pretty good defender. He can guard the 1-4 if necessary. He isn't a terrible defender. He isn't Avery Bradley but also Smart won't cost as much Next year. Smart will be a RFA and Bradley will be a UFA and have a longer experience

Losing Bradley sucks no doubt but the team wasn't going to pay him 24-25 million next year and so they got a PF. Plus Avery gets hurt a lot.
He has only played more than 70 games in a season 2 times in 7 years.

He averages 63 games per year. So while it sucks to lose him his durability is a factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom