NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018 | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018

1. Disagree. The Knicks giving up a package where the best player was Gallo...that didn’t destroy anything. Knicks fans like to overrate every young player with a pulse(remember when they thought Landry Fields was good? Toney Douglas? Lol), but they didn’t give up anything of consequence IMO.

2. If you want to blame Melo, blame him for being fixated on going to NY. That franchise can’t get out of its own way.

3. Even with all that, they would’ve been a solid contender if Amare’s body didn’t completely fall apart. Everyone knew he was an injury concern, but I don’t think anyone expected what happened to happen so quickly.

Your memory is pretty poor considering they gave up 4 rotation pieces and a 1st. They gave up Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Felton, Mozgov and a 1st rd pick that ended up turning into Dario Saric. Mozgov 2 years later got dealt for 2 1st rounders himself. All so Melo could get paid more with his Bird rights. If you just look at that in a vaccum and see there is no superstars involved then sure they didn't give up anything of consequence. But in reality they had to replace all of those rotation pieces with scrubs since Melo and Amare were now getting p paid and were out yet another lotto pick.

Your memory is pretty poor considering they gave up 4 rotation pieces and a 1st. They gave up Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Felton, Mozgov and a 1st rd pick that ended up turning into Dario Saric. Mozgov 2 years later got dealt for 2 1st rounders himself. All so Melo could get paid more with his Bird rights. If you just look at that in a vaccum and see there is no superstars involved then sure they didn't give up anything of consequence. But in reality they had to replace all of those rotation pieces with scrubs since Melo and Amare were now getting p paid and were out yet another lotto pick.
I can't get mad about Melo wanting his money when the Knicks were able to significantly raise ticket prices for years as soon as he arrived.

Melo screwed up taking the 5 year extension in 2008 without an opt out after 3 years in 2010 like LeBron, Wade, Bosh got.
Melo took the 5 years and basically had to get moved before the upcoming lockout in 2011-12 so he forced the Knicks to give up assets they could have used to upgrade the team with him.

I can't get mad about Melo wanting his money when the Knicks were able to significantly raise ticket prices for years as soon as he arrived.

No one can really blame it for it but it also negates any ability to feel bad for the way his career went. He always put himself 1st on and off the court and that's why he's only going to be known as a good stats bad team guy that never played in a game that mattered outside of a trip to the WCF in '09.

Doesn't mean I don' t have a set of signed/framed Melo Cuse USA Nugs Knicks jerseys hanging up in my basement.

No one can really blame it for it but it also negates any ability to feel bad for the way his career went. He always put himself 1st on and off the court and that's why he's only going to be known as a good stats bad team guy that never played in a game that mattered outside of a trip to the WCF in '09.

Doesn't mean I don' t have a set of signed/framed Melo Cuse USA Nugs Knicks jerseys hanging up in my basement.
I would say he doesn't put himself #1 off the court. He's extremely generous from multiple accounts.

I would say he doesn't put himself #1 off the court. He's extremely generous from multiple accounts.

I was referring to always opting for whatever option paid the very most in lieu of better situations.

Melo screwed up taking the 5 year extension in 2008 without an opt out after 3 years in 2010 like LeBron, Wade, Bosh got.
Melo took the 5 years and basically had to get moved before the upcoming lockout in 2011-12 so he forced the Knicks to give up assets they could have used to upgrade the team with him.

It wasn't opt outs, right? Those guys just signed shorter deals so had less money guaranteed. I think.

Melo is interesting - in my opinion he manages his image off the court much better than he does his on court image. His reaction to being asked about coming off the bench at his OKC intro presser, the "you mad" tweet after opting in this year. Whatever the dynamics with D'Anotoni, Phil, etc.
Legitimate great scorer, but not a transcendent player who never had the sidekick he needed in part due to management and in part to him chasing every dime. I also wonder about his health - he seems to have aged ten years physically in the last few seasons.

Can't imagine the Cavs or Bucks being in the picture in any fashion unless the Spurs are in love with Love or Jabari who is rfa any way.

Can't imagine the Cavs or Bucks being in the picture in any fashion unless the Spurs are in love with Love or Jabari who is rfa any way.

If we are to believe Incarcerated Bob, it really boils down to how badly Philly and Boston want him. Certainly they can offer more than Cleveland or Milwaukee can. But Milwaukee can offer a competitive package if they decide to go all-in on getting Kawhi and Philly/Boston are more hesitant. I can’t envision any realistic scenario where Cleveland gets him.

It’s going to be Philly for Leonard.
I can’t see anyone else matching them.
Boston isn’t giving up Brown so it has to be Philly.
What Pop gets is the question.

Fultz/Saric/Zaire Smith is what San Antonio wants.

Imagine he is to blame for a lot of it. He destroyed his own chance of success in NY by forcing them to trade for him so he could get paid in lieu of waiting until he was a free agent. His selfishness in that situation is a primary reason that he carries the reputation he does. If he doesn't make the Knicks blow all of those assets to bring him in then maybe they are able to surround him with a quality team.
That narrative is one the dumbest ones I've ever had to hear...over and over and over.

Melo didn't screw the Knicks, the Knicks did.

Amare and Bargnani suffocating the cap are why they never won, not Melo.

That narrative is one the dumbest ones I've ever had to hear...over and over and over.

Melo didn't screw the Knicks, the Knicks did.

Amare and Bargnani suffocating the cap are why they never won, not Melo.

Narrative. The boards favorite word. It doesn't take a great deal of thinking to see that him rejecting the Nuggets extension and being unwilling to sign anywhere outside of Knicks/Nets forced a deal there. I know Carmelo is as sacred as JB and above any criticism but the way he plays the game prohibits a team from winning anything. He was unwilling to be a #2 and wasn't good enough to be a #1 on a team going anywhere.

Heck of a career but it is what it is. He's still at this point too entitled and unwilling to settle for a role that would be best for his team.

If we are to believe Incarcerated Bob, it really boils down to how badly Philly and Boston want him. Certainly they can offer more than Cleveland or Milwaukee can. But Milwaukee can offer a competitive package if they decide to go all-in on getting Kawhi and Philly/Boston are more hesitant. I can’t envision any realistic scenario where Cleveland gets him.

What can Milwaukee really offer? Middleton and Maker and a couple picks? That can't possibly get anything done and their depth is already iffy.

What can Milwaukee really offer? Middleton and Maker and a couple picks? That can't possibly get anything done and their depth is already iffy.
Milwaukee has Maker/Parker/Middleton/Brogdon they could package a combo of.
They can't trade their first round pick till they give Phoenix the one for Bledsoe. Thus because of the Stepien rule they can't offer a first round pick unless it was way down the line.

Would a combo of those players help you of course but if your San Antonio you want young players and draft picks.
I thought the Pacers got very little last year for Paul George but it turned out to be a great trade for them in Oladipo and Sabonis and I doubt the Spurs do better Fultz/Smith and that 2021 Miami pick if Philly even offers that much.

Narrative. The boards favorite word. It doesn't take a great deal of thinking to see that him rejecting the Nuggets extension and being unwilling to sign anywhere outside of Knicks/Nets forced a deal there. I know Carmelo is as sacred as JB and above any criticism but the way he plays the game prohibits a team from winning anything. He was unwilling to be a #2 and wasn't good enough to be a #1 on a team going anywhere.

Heck of a career but it is what it is. He's still at this point too entitled and unwilling to settle for a role that would be best for his team.
I have absolutely ZERO problem taking shots at Cuse ‘legends’ ZERO problem...I actually enjoy it, but I can’t take 1 when it comes to Melo’s Knick career.

Milwaukee has Maker/Parker/Middleton/Brogdon they could package a combo of.
They can't trade their first round pick till they give Phoenix the one for Bledsoe. Thus because of the Stepien rule they can't offer a first round pick unless it was way down the line.

I guess thats the downside to heavily protecting those first rounders?

I guess thats the downside to heavily protecting those first rounders?
I go back and forth on how dumb that rule is, and also how brilliantly necessary it is.

He was unwilling to be a #2 and wasn't good enough to be a #1 on a team going anywhere.

“Unwilling to be a #2”...uhh, when? He was always clearly the best player and scorer on his team until last season.

Unless you’re talking about with Iverson? I doubt it, because they both scored 26-27 ppg on the best shooting percentages of their careers in their time together. I’m honestly stumped on that criticism. He was a #1 on 10 straight playoff teams, a WCF team that was a few screwed up inbounds plays away from the finals, and a 54 win Knicks team. Yes...winning 54 with that franchise is a big deal. The reality is he played with like 4 guys who had an all star season in that entire run. The bench of his BEST Nuggets team was Anthony Carter, Kleiza, JR, and Birdman. Lol.

As for unwilling to settle for a different role...he stood in the corner and jacked 3’s when it swung to him the last 5 months of last season because that’s what they wanted him to do. The “Melo sacrificing” narrative was talked about often by OKC last year. Sure, he questioned it after the year. Was he wrong though?

Reduced role is one thing...you can do that while still using him to his strengths. He’s not solely a stand still spot up shooter. Not sure if it’s more Donovan’s or Westbrook’s fault, but that offense has been kinda disjointed for awhile now. Even in KD’s last year when they were on the brink of the finals it was a “My turn”, “your turn” offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom